Content starts here
CLOSE ×

Search

Contributor

Consumer Cellular—BOHICA

Consumer Cellular did it to me for the last time. First, there's the weak signal everywhere, even though they are using other networks, whose own subscribers have good signals. Then came the relentless upward creep in price, though the unexplained "compliance fee." (They pretend this is something different from a regular old price hike.)

But today I woke to email saying that I was taken off the unlimited plan — with no word on what the new plan was — and no longer eligible for the illusory two for $55 plan — with no indication of what new price they were going to charge me.

Was this phishing? I went to the web site to check. It was down. Page load times with many minutes and no information was ever served up.

So then I called. I waited half an hour while the recorded voice told me about Consumer Cellular's "award-winning customer service."

When I finally got through to a human, she told me that all AARP plan customers got this message, and all the time I'd wasted was my own choice, and the company was not going to make any sort of compensation for their error. This afternoon I got a text and an email message that this was "a technical issue"

I think I'm switching to MINT. It looks better and cheaper. Consumer Cellular is just a bunch of doofuses pretending to run a company.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Users
Need to Know

NEW: AARP Games Tournament Tuesdays! This week, achieve a top score in Space Adventure Pinball and you could win $100! Learn More.

AARP Games Tournament Tuesdays

More From AARP