Content starts here
CLOSE ×

Search

What songs from the 1960's are still on your playlist?

Honored Social Butterfly

What songs from the 1960's are still on your playlist?

The 1960's boasts a vast array of music styles and genres throughout the decade. Many genres crossed and blurred lines, and new sub-genres or were created.

Throughout the 60's, we had a variety of pop, rock, Motown / R&B and soul. There were all of those tragedy songs, muscle car songs, and surf songs playing on the radio. Then came The Beatles and the British invasion. Folk music evolved into folk-rock, and Bob Dylan became one of the most influential songwriters of the decade and beyond. Folk music became a popular genre for the counterculture and protest songs (anti-war, civil rights). Folk-rock segued into psychedelic rock and songs of the drug culture. Elvis made a comeback in '68. Later in the decade, progressive rock began to merge various genres and styles, including classical music. And by the end of the decade, blues rock was moving to hard rock and heavy rock territory.

So much happened? What did I miss?

Here's an article that I found for a memory refresher.

http://www.thepeoplehistory.com/60smusic.html

So, what songs from the 1960's are still on your playlist today?

โ€œWhen the power of love overcomes the love of power, the world will know peace.โ€ - Jimi Hendrix
Honored Social Butterfly

What Becomes Of The Brokenhearted

I've Passed This Way Before

Jimmy Ruffin (maybe he didn't have quite the voice as his brother David [who did?] he still had two great songs).

Honored Social Butterfly

Silver Threads And Golden Needles: The Springfields (Dusty on lead) 1962

Honored Social Butterfly

From Neil Diamond -

Cherry Cherry (1966)

Solitary Man (1966)

Red Red Wine (1967)

Kentucky Woman (1967) (+ cover by Deep Purple 1968)

Sweet Caroline (1969)

Holly Holy (1969)

The first concert I went to was to see Neil Diamond in 1985!

โ€œWhen the power of love overcomes the love of power, the world will know peace.โ€ - Jimi Hendrix
Honored Social Butterfly

Mamas and the Papas Playlist

California Dreamin- 1965

Creeque Alley- 1967
Dedicated to the one I love- 1967

Dream a little dream of me- 1968

Go where you wanna go- 1965

I saw her again- 1966

Monday Monday- 1966

Twelve thirty (Young girls are coming to the canyon)- 1967

Words of love- 1966

Honored Social Butterfly

Feelin' Alright and With a little help from my friends- both released in 1969 by Joe Cocker RIP

FYI Not a big fan of Beatles remakes, but Cocker

kicks it on the latter tune

Regular Social Butterfly

@BeatleloverKT wrote:

Feelin' Alright and With a little help from my friends- both released in 1969 by Joe Cocker RIP

FYI Not a big fan of Beatles remakes, but Cocker

kicks it on the latter tune

@BeatleloverKT I was a huge Joe fan; there's a post somewhere here about roadtrip from KC to TX to see him back then...

Thanks for reminding me as now added "Feelin' Alright" to that playlist; don't know why I didnt' remember it sooner...

#VegasStronng

#VegasStrong
Phil Harris, actor and showman, to John Fogerty of CCR: โ€œIf Iโ€™d known Iโ€™d live this long, Iโ€™d have taken better care of myself.โ€
Social Butterfly

JOE COCKER - A SINGULAR TALENT, I ESPECIALLY LIKE "YOU CAN LEAVE YOUR HAT ON"
SUPERGIRL, NO REALLY I MEAN IT! HER REAL NAME & MINE ARE THE SAME( FIRST 2 NAMES ARE)
Honored Social Butterfly

CHICAGO- 1969

Beginnings

Does anybody really know what time it is

I'm a man

Questions 67&68

Honored Social Butterfly

Tommy James&the Shondells 

Hanky panky 1966

Crystal blue persuasion 1968

Crimson and clover 1968

Mony Mony 1968

I think we're alone now 1968

Sweet cherry wine 1969

Conversationalist

Tommy James: A "garage band" sound if there ever was one but they were so much more.

Social Butterfly

GREAT CHOICES- AS A PRE-TEEN, I LOVED "I THINK WE'RE ALONE NOW."...
SUPERGIRL, NO REALLY I MEAN IT! HER REAL NAME & MINE ARE THE SAME( FIRST 2 NAMES ARE)
Honored Social Butterfly

Led Zeppelin 1969

Whole lotta love

Ramble on

Dazed and confused

Heartbreaker

Good times and bad times

Thank you

What is and what should never be

*My all time favs by them are Stairway to heaven and the Immigrant Song, but we'll get to them when we post about the 70's lol

Honored Social Butterfly

Simon and Garfunkel -  Pretty much everything they recorded! But these are mainstays on the playlist. Their songs are timeless classics and I probably have played them more than any songs on any of my playlists.

Flowers Never Bend With The Rainfall (1964)

Patterns (1964)

Cloudy (1964)

A Poem On The Underground Wall (1964)

Big Bright Green Pleasure Machine (1964)

Sound of Silence (1965)

Scarborough Fair / Canticle (1966)

Homeward Bound (1966)

59th Street Bridge Song (1966)

The Dangling Conversation (1966)

I Am A Rock (1966)

America (1968)

Mrs. Robinson (1968)

The Boxer (1969)

(& Bridge Over Troubled Water was 1970)

Conversationalist

Anything written by Rhymin' Simon!

Honored Social Butterfly

Somebody to love and White Rabbit by Jefferson Airplane- both released in 1967.  Love the vocals by Grace Slick- no one like her

Silver Conversationalist

I meant to say Sly and Family Stone

Honored Social Butterfly

Hush by Deep Purple- 1968

Honored Social Butterfly

@BeatleloverKT wrote:

Hush by Deep Purple- 1968

Ditto! . . . and the entire album Shades of Deep Purple (1968)  &  Book of Taliesyn (1968)

Love the songs Anthem and Shield (from Taliesyn) and Rod Evans voice!

0 Kudos
Honored Social Butterfly

Anything by the Supremes.....Lets go with-  You can't hurry love-1966. Always made me want to get up and dance (when I could still dance)

lol......

Honored Social Butterfly

Love the Moody Blues......My all time fav by them has to be Nights in white satin released in 1967

Silver Conversationalist

Oh my just a few more how about music from Sly and Family Sloan !! " Turn Turn Turn" by Byrd's  Going to a Go Go" Miracles  the list goes on!!!

Silver Conversationalist

What a great music era!! I have a few songs to share; White Rabbit by Jefferson Airplane "Like a Rolling Stone" by Bob Dylan "Good Vibration" Beach Boys " Reach Out I'll be there" by Four Top's and You've lost that lovin feeling' by Righteous Brothers  so many great songs!!

Honored Social Butterfly

White Room by Cream- 1967

Here comes my baby by the Tremuloes- 1967

Have I the right by the Honeycombs- 1964

Anything by the Four Tops but today I'll go with Shake me, Wake me (When it's over)- 1966

Soul and Inspiration by the Righteous Brothers- 1966

Mountain of love by Johnny Rivers- 1964

Carrie Anne by the Hollies- 1967

Do you believe in Magic by the Lovin Spoonful- 1965

More tomorrow! Lol

Honored Social Butterfly

The Sun Ain't Gonna Shine Anymore: The Walker Brothers

Silence Is Golden: The Tremeloes 

(and about 200 others)

Regular Social Butterfly

Excellent topic, @MaVolta !!!!! tysvm for thinking of this!

So, # 1 for me is Iron Butterfly's "In A Gadda Da Vita" (1968)! Lots of people didn't like it due to length, but for me it's still a great "stuck in traffic" song, as I can rock out and everyone enjoys the old lady in the car next to them smiling while rocking out, instead of angry at traffic ๐Ÿ˜‰

Note: I used to listen to Metallica on the drive then realized when I walked into the office and announced I knew why Lars was so angry and everyone gave me a hug while laughing that I needed to change that out...

# 2 on the 60's play list is Janis and her "Kosmic Blues"; so powerful and poignant.

# 3 is definitely John Lennon "Come Together" especially this version which he has so much fun with his original composition, not the earlier released version.

I shouldn't go on as it will make the post too long, but, again, thanks for this great topic! Can't wait to read others so I can add to my play list!

#VegasStrong

#VegasStrong
Phil Harris, actor and showman, to John Fogerty of CCR: โ€œIf Iโ€™d known Iโ€™d live this long, Iโ€™d have taken better care of myself.โ€
Honored Social Butterfly

@WebWiseWoman  - Great choices! In A Gadda Da Vida was one of my brother's favorites. I remember it blasting from the 8-track deck in his car. Hadn't thought about that song in a while. I was mostly into folk & folk-rock, but he got me listening to hard rock, including these from my playlist -

By Steppenwolf:

Born To Be Wild (1968)

Magic Carpet Ride (1968)

It's Never Too Late (1969)

Jupiter's Child (1969)

Rock Me (1969)

Honored Social Butterfly

Hey everyone! Keep the music coming. This is a running list so please post as many times as you like. I have a looooong way to go! Maybe others will join us. I love reading your posts and comments!

0 Kudos
Regular Social Butterfly

@MaVolta wrote:

Hey everyone! Keep the music coming. This is a running list so please post as many times as you like. I have a looooong way to go! Maybe others will join us. I love reading your posts and comments!

Hahaha @MaVolta just have to go there even though this is from early 70s, but couldn't resist throwing in Alice Cooper's "A Long Way To Go" 

#VegasStrong

#VegasStrong
Honored Social Butterfly

@WebWiseWoman  -  Until I started listing out these songs, I didn't realize just how much 60's music I still listen to! But IMO, nothing today can compare with music from the 60's & 70's.  Cat Very Happy

Anyone else still listening to the hippie anthem?

San Francisco - Scott McKenzie (1967)

Conversationalist

San Francisco: A little idealistic theme but underappreciated and written by "Papa' John Phillips. 

cancel
Showing results forย 
Showย ย onlyย  | Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 
Users
Need to Know

NEW: AARP Games Tournament Tuesdays! This week, achieve a top score in Atari Centipedeยฎ and you could win $100! Learn More.

AARP Games Tournament Tuesdays

More From AARP