Content starts here
CLOSE ×

Search

What songs from the 1960's are still on your playlist?

Honored Social Butterfly

What songs from the 1960's are still on your playlist?

The 1960's boasts a vast array of music styles and genres throughout the decade. Many genres crossed and blurred lines, and new sub-genres or were created.

Throughout the 60's, we had a variety of pop, rock, Motown / R&B and soul. There were all of those tragedy songs, muscle car songs, and surf songs playing on the radio. Then came The Beatles and the British invasion. Folk music evolved into folk-rock, and Bob Dylan became one of the most influential songwriters of the decade and beyond. Folk music became a popular genre for the counterculture and protest songs (anti-war, civil rights). Folk-rock segued into psychedelic rock and songs of the drug culture. Elvis made a comeback in '68. Later in the decade, progressive rock began to merge various genres and styles, including classical music. And by the end of the decade, blues rock was moving to hard rock and heavy rock territory.

So much happened? What did I miss?

Here's an article that I found for a memory refresher.

http://www.thepeoplehistory.com/60smusic.html

So, what songs from the 1960's are still on your playlist today?

“When the power of love overcomes the love of power, the world will know peace.” - Jimi Hendrix
Social Butterfly

NOT OFTEN! TOO MANY OTHER GREAT ANTHEMS !
SUPERGIRL, NO REALLY I MEAN IT! HER REAL NAME & MINE ARE THE SAME( FIRST 2 NAMES ARE)
0 Kudos
Honored Social Butterfly

A few more gems:

Come on down to my boat- Every Mothers son- 1967

Eve of destruction- Barry McGuire- 1965

It ain't me babe- Turtles- 1965

Honored Social Butterfly

I have so many songs to add to the list but here's my start for today: How sweet it is (to be loved by you)- 1965

Can I get a witness - 1963. Both songs by the incredible, incredibly missed Marvin Gaye. 🙏

Honored Social Butterfly

I was a kid.  My dad listened to country, so I had to.  😄 

I still listen to:

Wolverton Mountain - Claude King

Big Bad John - Jimmy Dean

El Paso - Marty Robbins

Dang Me - Roger Miller

Harper Valley PTA - Jeannie Riley

Mamma Tried - Merle Haggard

Flowers on the Wall - Statler Brothers

Anything Johnny Cash, especially A Boy Named Sue

John Birch Society - Chad Mitchell Trio

Any and all of Tom Lehrer -- I wish he were writing songs today.  

Periodic Contributor

Like some the songs on your list but we didn't listen to much country, although we did love Roger Miller.  But big kudos to your shout out to Tom Lehrer!  He was a staple in our album-playing in the 60s.  Too bad not many people know him (or would appreciate him).

0 Kudos
Social Butterfly

MY SIS & I WERE NUTS ABOUT JOHNNY CASH.
SUPERGIRL, NO REALLY I MEAN IT! HER REAL NAME & MINE ARE THE SAME( FIRST 2 NAMES ARE)
Honored Social Butterfly

The Vogues 1965

Turn around, look at me

Five o'clock world

You're the one

My special angel 

Periodic Contributor

Like some songs on your list (my family did not listen to country music but we loved Roger Miller) but great kudos go to your shout out of Tom Lehrer!  He was a staple in our album playing throughout the 60's and beyond. Too bad not may people know about him (or would appreciate him).

Honored Social Butterfly

To lead off, I will first qualify that The Beatles have a playlist all to themselves. (Bet many of you do too!)

One of my favorite songs of the early 60's that I still love toplay:

The Lion Sleeps Tonight - The Tokens (1961)

“When the power of love overcomes the love of power, the world will know peace.” - Jimi Hendrix
Regular Contributor

You're right MaVolta - the Beatles have their own playlist as do the Rolling Stones, Bruce Springsteen and Michael Jackson.  

Honored Social Butterfly

Excellent topic choice @MaVolta!  I have many favorites from the 60's but I will start off with Five O'Clock world by the Vogues. (1965) Great song. Also anything by the Dave Clark Five- Glad all over (1964) is my fav by them. Also anything by the Animals, especially It's my life. (1965) We should have fun with this! 😎

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Users
Need to Know

NEW: AARP Games Tournament Tuesdays! This week, achieve a top score in Atari Asteroids® and you could win $100! Learn More.

AARP Games Tournament Tuesdays

More From AARP