Watch AARP's Movies for Grownups Awards Friday at 9 p.m. ET on PBS' Great Performances. See A Preview

Trusted Social Butterfly

Re: What Songs Would You Retire?

Message 111 of 119

"....He is with "Lola, she is a showgirl
With yellow feathers in her hair and a dress cut down to there
She can merengue and do the cha-cha
while she tries to be a star........ get ready for it......... ".

I'm going to shut down my PC. It's infected with the most stupid song I've ever heard next to Tiptoe through the Tulips (Tiny Tim).  It needs a file purge and rest.................

BTW: Blinded by the Light needs to be purged too. Ok, I'm going to now listen the The Planets, by Holst.

Just think. The world was built by the lowest bidder.
Report Inappropriate Content
Treasured Social Butterfly

Message 112 of 119

ls1873 wrote:

"Human  Behavior"  by  Bjork  only  because  it  is  the  worst  song  I  ever  heard.  Lousy  vocals  along  with  a  lousy  rhythm  and  melody.

Wow this is a great topic !  You all are making me laugh. 😀

Life's a Journey, not a Destination" Aerosmith

Message 113 of 119

retiredtraveler wrote:

Everything by Barry Manilow Smiley Frustrated

Barry is going to be pretty upset when he hears this. He is busy right now.  

He is with "Lola, she is a showgirl
With yellow feathers in her hair and a dress cut down to there
She can merengue and do the cha-cha
while she tries to be a star........ get ready for it......... 

At the Copa (copa) Copacabana
(copacabana)
The hottest spot north of Havana (here)
At the Copa (copa) Copacabana
Music and passion were always the fashion
At the Copa ...
They fell in love (copa)
(copacabana)

Read more: Barry Manilow - Copacabana Lyrics | MetroLyrics

Valued Social Butterfly

Message 114 of 119

"Human  Behavior"  by  Bjork  only  because  it  is  the  worst  song  I  ever  heard.  Lousy  vocals  along  with  a  lousy  rhythm  and  melody.

Trusted Social Butterfly

Message 115 of 119

Everything by Barry Manilow Smiley Frustrated

Just think. The world was built by the lowest bidder.
Valued Social Butterfly

Message 116 of 119

The only song that comes to mind for me is "The Battle of New Orleans".  When I was in high school I got a part time job at a Woolworths store that was just opening in our neighborhood.  It was at the height of this song's popularity and they had it blasting all over the store.  I think that must have been the only record in the department.  To this day I want to throw something at the sound of it.  Luckily that doesn't happen often these days.

Message 117 of 119

This reminds me of the scene in "Sex and The City", where Miranda is upset that Carrie is going to Paris to be with her Russian artist boyfriend, giving Carrie all the reasons she "shouldn't" go. Carrie says, "Just say it, you don't like him!" Miranda responds, "Fine, I don't like him!" And Carrie ends the conversation with, "Then don't you go to Paris with him."

If people don't like "old" songs of any era, then they can just not listen to them, and avoid stations that tend to play songs of that era/genre! They don't need to "retire" songs they personally don't like, or think are passe, because the rest of us might like them! God knows, My car & home radios are tuned to classical music stations, which almost by definition play "old" music .. and that's exactly why some of us listen to them .. specifically!

I happen to like hearing some of those meaningful songs of past years once in a while, and sometimes I wonder why we don't hear more of them .. because they not only have meaningful lyrics, but remind us of important times in our lives. Would I want to hear any song very frequently .. NO .. and that includes new & popular ones.

Registered on Online Community since 2007!

Message 118 of 119

nyadrn wrote:

Should "American Pie" be put out to pasture? Has John Lennon's "Imagine" been imagined one too many times? What songs would you retire?

If I hear that song one more time!
I was at a restaurant recently when "Cats In The Cradle," a mid-'70s song by Harry Chapin, came on. It's the one about a dad too busy for his son, and ends with the son growing up to be too busy for his dad. Anyway, the thought hit me, "Do I really ever have to hear this song again?" It's a well-crafted tune, but please: can't we just retire it?!

>>

OK. I enjoy NPR but this is kind of a dumb topic imho.  Maybe they should just ask what songs are over played but isn't that the whole idea of songs.  Unless of course you mean like in commercials.  But anyway, what's your take?

Highlighted

What Songs Would You Retire?

Message 119 of 119

Should "American Pie" be put out to pasture? Has John Lennon's "Imagine" been imagined one too many times? What songs would you retire?

If I hear that song one more time!
I was at a restaurant recently when "Cats In The Cradle," a mid-'70s song by Harry Chapin, came on. It's the one about a dad too busy for his son, and ends with the son growing up to be too busy for his dad. Anyway, the thought hit me, "Do I really ever have to hear this song again?" It's a well-crafted tune, but please: can't we just retire it?!

And so a show is born. On this edition of All Songs Considered, "Hallelujah! The Songs We Should Retire."

http://www.npr.org/sections/allsongs/2017/10/10/556692186/hallelujah-the-songs-we-should-retire?utm_...