Content starts here
CLOSE ×

Search

The Name Game - songs featuring names in their title

Conversationalist

The Name Game - songs featuring names in their title

On December 8, 1980 John Lennon was shot and killed outside his and Yoko’s NYC apartment. I remember where I was when I heard the news – in my morning Geometry class, freshman year of high school. How the word spread that quickly without electronic media I’m still not certain. We were all stunned, in a state of disbelief that a Beatle was dead.

The song provides the theme for this week’s blog called “The Name Game” highlighting songs featuring peoples’ names in their titles. There are so many that the lists could go on forever, but included are some of my very favorites in the first Spotify playlist, and some honorable mentions in the second, no less great, and still very worthy of a listen. The lists could go on with hundreds more, but these are songs that I enjoy and felt worth sharing.

A few of my favorite songs of all-time: Janice Joplin’s “Bobby McGee,” Elton John’s “Levon” and “Mona Lisas And Mad Hatters,” Dire Straits’ “Romeo & Juliet,” the Police’s “Roxanne,” and Rush’s “Tom Sawyer.” Some trendy name songs over the years include Dexy’s Midnight Runners “Come On Eileen,” Tommy Tutone’s “867-5309/Jenny,” Toni Basil’s “Hey Mickey.” A few songs of note made the list without a name in their title, as the name is such a prominent part of the song, truly what many think the song is called, with David Bowie’s “Space Oddity” aka “Major Tom” and The Moody Blues “Legend Of A Mind” or “Timothy Leary.” They seemed worthy additions.

Billy Joel (10), The Beatles (9), and Elton John (8) appear most frequently on the two lists, perhaps a testament more to my musical tastes than their penchant for writing songs with names in them, or more likely a mixture of both.

I hope that this music and my blog truly serve as a “revival: a new presentation of something old,” a springboard to return to the music of your youth, or perhaps to find artists you want to discover anew.  Rediscover the passion of music in your life. Live in the moment. Enjoy the moment. Love the moment. Listen to the MUSIC!

https://listentothemusicblog.com/the-name-game-1-2-names-in-songs/

Honored Social Butterfly
Regular Social Butterfly

The day John was lost to us was the second time John was lost to us, for me. In fourth grade, our teacher sent us home early; we found out later President John Fitzgerald Kennedy had been MURDERED.

When I was on my way to work 8-Dec-1980, my driver announced another MURDER. I stepped out into a bar for news and a drink in case.

I could not understand how this was happening again; sorrowfully it would continue and now 50 years later I cannot understand how Columbine, LasVegasRoute91, Ulvalde, MarjorieStonehamDouglas, UNLV, any murders, but especially using automatic weapons of ANY kind. HOW DOES THIS CONTINUE?

I'm sorry for any offense this post causes; please understand I'm old and tired of this happening...

#VegasStrong
Phil Harris, actor and showman, to John Fogerty of CCR: “If I’d known I’d live this long, I’d have taken better care of myself.”
0 Kudos
Honored Social Butterfly

Great picks on both playlists! As you said, the choices are endless.

Some others that come to mind . . .

Master Jack - Four Jacks and a Jill

Little Jeannie, Levon, and Daniel - all from Elton John (possibly others)

Dear Prudence, Lucy In The Sky With Diamonds, Lady Madonna, Michelle, and several others by The Beatles

Sara - Fleetwood Mac

Pancho and Lefty - Willie and Merle

and on and on . . .  😄

“When the power of love overcomes the love of power, the world will know peace.” - Jimi Hendrix
Regular Social Butterfly

Shocked this hasn't shown up yet:

"Jolene" - Dolly Parton 

#VegasStrong
Phil Harris, actor and showman, to John Fogerty of CCR: “If I’d known I’d live this long, I’d have taken better care of myself.”
0 Kudos
Conversationalist

its on there 🙂 

Conversationalist

I also forgot CCR Suzi Q! How???

Conversationalist

And Little Jeannie just reminded me of David Bowie's Jean Genie...

Conversationalist

Levon and Daniel on the list, can't believe I left off Little Jeannie!!!

Lucy in the Sky, Lady Madonna, and Michelle are there, forgot Dear Prudence!

Sara's there too

Will add those - thanks!

Honored Social Butterfly

Sorry about that! I read through them pretty fast, and my ADD brain doesn’t soak in a lot these days! 😂

It must have taken a lot of time to find all of those, so kudos for that.

“When the power of love overcomes the love of power, the world will know peace.” - Jimi Hendrix
Conversationalist

Looked through Elton's library - other name songs: Michelle's Song, Lady Samantha, Postcards from Richard Nixon, Crystal, All The Girls Love Alice, Ballad Of Danny Bailey, Roy Rogers, Amy, Susie (Drama), No Shoe Strings On Louise - can't include everything, lol... (added the first 2 and last one...)

Honored Social Butterfly

Great playlist as always. As a huge fan of the 

Fab 4️⃣, I was devastated to hear of Lennons’

death. I remember it vividly as December 8th

is my birthday. He is the first person I think

about on that day, even 43 years later 🎼💜😢

Conversationalist

So other Beatles songs: Sexy Sadie, Rocky Raccoon, Polythene Pam, Martha My Dear, Doctor Robert, Maggie Mae - added Rocky and Pam...

Conversationalist

Happy belated birthday. Some great Fab 4 songs on the lists, especially Eleanor Rigby.

Honored Social Butterfly

Hope you had a great birthday, KT! 🎂🎈  🙂 

Happy-Belated-Birthday.gif

Honored Social Butterfly

Thank you so much….so sweet! 💜

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Users
Need to Know

NEW: AARP Games Tournament Tuesdays! This week, achieve a top score in Space Adventure Pinball and you could win $100! Learn More.

AARP Games Tournament Tuesdays

More From AARP