Content starts here
CLOSE ×

Search

Stressors/Pressures of Everyday Life

Honored Social Butterfly

Stressors/Pressures of Everyday Life

As Iโ€™m coming to two years of the worst times of my life, both personally and professionally, Iโ€™ve noticed there are a lot of rock songs out there that deal with the Stressors/Pressures of everyday life. I thought it would be a great topic to explore. Songs with pressure in the title are obvious, but Iโ€™m hoping this will bring out other, more subtle songs that address these issues. I will start with one of my all time favorites in this area-

โ€We gotta get out of this placeโ€ by The Animals

Kudos
Views
Replies
Honored Social Butterfly

Growing Pains by Alessia Cara. She sings about the complex emotions that come from managing day to day adult stress. I am pretty sure she wrote it about me because it hits the nail on the head about my life 

0 Kudos
Honored Social Butterfly

Everybody's Broken - Bon Jovi

โ€œWhen the power of love overcomes the love of power, the world will know peace.โ€ - Jimi Hendrix
Honored Social Butterfly

@MaVolta  OMG another song written for me! Love the message! While we're on the Bonjovi track, I give you One Step Closer by them also

Honored Social Butterfly

Uptown: Roy Orbison

Uptown: The Crystals

(Two different songs, but each conveys the pressures and stress faced by the "little guy" in the big city. Roy's little guy is a bellhop who fantasizes about getting rich and hooking up with the woman in the penthouse. The Crystal's little guy becomes a big guy after he returns to his uptown home after a soul-crushing workday downtown). Interesting how the word "uptown" has a different meaning in each song. 

Honored Social Butterfly

@1968Hoya46 wrote:

Uptown: Roy Orbison

Uptown: The Crystals

(Two different songs, but each conveys the pressures and stress faced by the "little guy" in the big city. Roy's little guy is a bellhop who fantasizes about getting rich and hooking up with the woman in the penthouse. The Crystal's little guy becomes a big guy after he returns to his uptown home after a soul-crushing workday downtown). Interesting how the word "uptown" has a different meaning in each song. 

And this one . . . She'll soon be tired of her uptown guy and he will be successful and win her over . . .

Uptown Girl - Billy Joel

โ€œWhen the power of love overcomes the love of power, the world will know peace.โ€ - Jimi Hendrix
Honored Social Butterfly

19th Nervous Breakdown - Rolling Stones

Regular Social Butterfly

@MaVolta wrote:

19th Nervous Breakdown - Rolling Stones

Ahh...with the above...I think it's a doorway to:

Eric Clapton ~ "Breaking Point"

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/9wfk-banX_8" frameborder="0" allow="accelerometer; autoplay; encrypted-media; gyroscope; picture-in-picture" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Honored Social Butterfly

Walk a thin line by the Mac

0 Kudos
Honored Social Butterfly

Someday Never Comes - CCR

And in a similar vein . . . 

Teach Your Children - CSN&Y

Honored Social Butterfly

Heavy by Collective Soul

0 Kudos
Honored Social Butterfly

Everybody Hurts by REM

Honored Social Butterfly

We Can Work It Out - The Beatles

Honored Social Butterfly

Land of Confusion by Genesis

0 Kudos
Social Butterfly

"Against The Wind" 

by Bob Seger & The Silver Bullet Band

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PBJRD1VkxmI

Honored Social Butterfly

Someone saved my life tonight by Sir Elton

Kudos
Views
Regular Social Butterfly

@BeatleloverKT wrote:

Someone saved my life tonight by Sir Elton

Kudos to you @BeatleloverKT  with your introduction I'll add:

"Sorry Seems To Be The Hardest Word" by Sir Elton John! 

Honored Social Butterfly

Turn! Turn! Turn! - Pete Seeger

Best known version by The Byrds, recorded in various styles by many artists. 

Honored Social Butterfly

Let it be by the Fab 4๏ธโƒฃ No one describes heartache and trouble (among other things) like the Beatles

Honored Social Butterfly

Idiot Wind: Dylan (the story [to put it mildly] of a bumpy relationship).

Honored Social Butterfly

Never going back again by the Mac

0 Kudos
Honored Social Butterfly

Movin' On: Billy Joel (he critiques what he sees as the destructive obsession with "getting ahead" [working multiple jobs, not having a real life, not enjoying what you have] just to buy that metaphorical Cadillac and have just enough energy and health left to polish its fenders, but not enough to drive it).

Honored Social Butterfly

It donโ€™t come easy by Ringo Starr

Honored Social Butterfly

I Won't Back Down: Tom Petty & The Heartbreakers

Honored Social Butterfly

Stressed Out by Twenty One Pilots

0 Kudos
Honored Social Butterfly

To Daddy - Emmylou Harris

This is a touching song about a father left to raise his children when his wife leaves suddenly, but his wife never gave him a clue that she was so unhappy - a failure to communicate. 

Honored Social Butterfly

All those years ago by George Harrison. His ode to John Lennon but he sings about much more then that

Honored Social Butterfly

Richard Cory: S&G (life's stresses and pressures fall both on the rich and the non-rich.

Honored Social Butterfly

Angry young man by Billy Joel

0 Kudos
Honored Social Butterfly

As Tears Go By - Rolling Stones

Honored Social Butterfly

Unwell by Matchbox Twenty

0 Kudos
cancel
Showing results forย 
Showย ย onlyย  | Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 
Users
Need to Know

NEW: AARP Games Tournament Tuesdays! This week, achieve a top score in Block Champ and you could win $100! Learn More.

AARP Games Tournament Tuesdays

More From AARP