Content starts here
CLOSE ×

Search

Periodic Contributor

Is Paul dead?

The information on the alleged death of Paul McCartney in 1966 is fascinating.    I don't think it's true but the clues left on albums both in pictures and backward tracks are briliant.  A superb well orchestrated hoax.   

Honored Social Butterfly

When I taught freshman English, I used to do a unit on this topic, to teach concepts of logic used and misused in persuasive writing.  I had a recording of a 40+ minute radio broadcast that presented all the clues.

From "Paul is dead" to "we're out of toilet paper"--it's incredible how fast and how pervasive a rumor can be.

0 Kudos
Periodic Contributor

There is a new movement led by Tina Thomas in Seattle.   There is countless information on Youtube and Tina Thomas has her own page on FB.   The big key point is the fact that Paul's face is different and there are moles and scars around his nose.   He clearly had surgery.    The PID folks say otherwise.

0 Kudos
Honored Social Butterfly

@DennisC46703wrote:

The information on the alleged death of Paul McCartney in 1966 is fascinating.    I don't think it's true but the clues left on albums both in pictures and backward tracks are briliant.  A superb well orchestrated hoax.   

Good topic..  

Belief that Paul McCartney may have died in the mid 1960s began in 1969. The first known print reference was in an article written by Tim Harper which appeared in the 17 September edition of the Times-Delphic, the newspaper of the Drake University in Des Moines, Iowa.

Harper later claimed that he wasn't the original source for any of the claims in his articles. He said he was writing for entertainment purposes only, and said he got the information from a fellow student, Dartanyan Brown. Mr Brown is said to have got the story from a musician who had heard it on the Californian west coast, and that he also read the story in an underground newspaper.

The rumours gained momentum on 12 October 1969, after an on-air phone call to radio presenter Russ Gibb, a DJ on WKNR-FM in Michigan. The caller, identified only as 'Tom', claimed that McCartney was dead, and instructed Gibb to play Revolution 9 backwards, where the repeated "number nine" phrase was heard as "turn me on, dead man".

Listening to the show was Fred LaBour, an arts reviewer for student newspaper The Michigan Daily. LaBour used clues from Gibb's programme along with others he had invented himself - including the name of William Campbell, the alleged replacement for McCartney.

I made the guy up. It was originally going to be Glenn Campbell, with two Ns, and then I said 'that's too close, nobody'll buy that'. So I made it William Campbell.

Life's a Journey, not a Destination" Aerosmith
Regular Social Butterfly

@nyadrnwrote:

@DennisC46703wrote:

Good topic..  

The rumours gained momentum on 12 October 1969, after an on-air phone call to radio presenter Russ Gibb, a DJ on WKNR-FM in Michigan. The caller, identified only as 'Tom', claimed that McCartney was dead, and instructed Gibb to play Revolution 9 backwards, where the repeated "number nine" phrase was heard as "turn me on, dead man".

Listening to the show was Fred LaBour, an arts reviewer for student newspaper The Michigan Daily. LaBour used clues from Gibb's programme along with others he had invented himself - including the name of William Campbell, the alleged replacement for McCartney.

I made the guy up. It was originally going to be Glenn Campbell, with two Ns, and then I said 'that's too close, nobody'll buy that'. So I made it William Campbell.

Interesting! I guess the ultimate conspiracy theorist's question would be, did Brian Epstein actually ask certain people to start the rumors in order to drive up record sales? I think at some point the Beatles may have planted "hints" just to poke fun at the crazy obsession so many people had with this theory. 

0 Kudos
Social Butterfly

William Campbell Shears a.k.a Billy Shears mistrust-lol.gif

0 Kudos
Social Butterfly

So let me introduce to you the one and only Billy Shears Smiley Tongue

Regular Social Butterfly

The bass guitar-shaped funeral wreath on the cover of Sgt. Pepper. Lots of other "hints" on this album cover, some involving using a mirror to read the imprint on the bass drum, which has encoded messages including the alleged date of Paul's prematurely fatal car crash (11/9/66). 

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Users
Need to Know

NEW: AARP Games Tournament Tuesdays! This week, achieve a top score in Atari Centipede® and you could win $100! Learn More.

AARP Games Tournament Tuesdays

More From AARP