Content starts here
CLOSE ×
Search
Conversationalist

American Film Institutes 100 Greatest Songs in 100 Years.

Though much of it is not Rock & Roll, a few of the songs qualify, such as Bill Haley's "Rock Around The Clock" and Elvis' "Jailhouse Rock", I thought you all might appreciate the blog, videos, and the playlist.

The American Film Institute recently released their list of 100 greatest songs in movies. That inspired me at the suggestion of a friend to make a Spotify playlist of the same. Some analysis of the list led to some interesting observations:

The blog is highlighted by videos of some of my favorite movie song performances, with the actor/singer performing in the movie, typically a musical, not just a background song, such as โ€œUnchained Melodyโ€ in Ghost, or โ€œWhat a Feelingโ€ in Flashdance, or โ€œ(Iโ€™ve Had) The Time of My Lifeโ€ in Dirty Dancing. All are great songs and scenes, but I wanted to single out some of the most outstanding signing performances within the confines of movies that made me fall in love with the singer.

There are two exceptional performances that I feel were left out, too good to leave off a list such as this, and they are truly among my very favorites, one as a child, with the magical candy world that Gene Wilder conjures in โ€œPure Imaginationโ€ in Willie Wonka & The Chocolate Factory, and then more recently, following in the line of Judy Garland and Barbra Streisand who are on the list for the same movie, with Lady Gagaโ€™s โ€œIโ€™ll Never Love Againโ€ in A Star Is Born. Watch the videos below and judge for yourself, and see what you think.

https://listentothemusicblog.com/afis-100-years-100-songs-the-100-greatest-american-movie-music/

Honored Social Butterfly

Thereโ€™s a lot to like on that playlist. I started a movie playlist once upon a time and didnโ€™t get very far, so there are several on there that I can use. Then it boils down to personal preferences. I would trade in a lot of the older musical songs for newer material, but thatโ€™s just me. Here are a few of my songs that werenโ€™t on their list โ€ฆ.

Eye of the Tiger, Survivor (Rocky)

St. Elmoโ€™s Fire (Man In Motion), John Parr

Into the West, Annie Lennox (Lord of the Rings)

May It Be, Enya (Lord of the Rings)

Renaissance, Paulo Buonovino and Skin (Medici:Masters of Florence)

Vanilla Sky, Paul McCartney

Skyfall, Adele, 

Live and Let Die, Paul McCartney & Wings

License to Kill, Gladys Knight 

โ€ฆand just about every other song from a James Bond film, for that matter!

โ€œWhen the power of love overcomes the love of power, the world will know peace.โ€ - Jimi Hendrix
Conversationalist

Agree. My list would have many newer songs. In addition to yours, "Heard It Through The Grapevine" or "The Weight" from Big Chill, (Don't You) Forget About Me from Breakfast Club, almost anything from American Graffiti or Guardians of the Galaxy. Many others.

Honored Social Butterfly

Come to think of it, the soundtrack to Easy Rider alone, makes up a pretty good playlist! ๐Ÿ˜Ž

โ€œWhen the power of love overcomes the love of power, the world will know peace.โ€ - Jimi Hendrix
Honored Social Butterfly

Great list! My fav movies of all time are well

represented: Wizard of Oz, MASH and Titanic

Kudos
Views
Honored Social Butterfly

@BeatleloverKT  - It just occurred to me that there were no Beatle movie songs on the list. โ˜น๏ธ My top three . . .

Help!, the title track

Fool On The Hill, Magical Mystery Tour

If I Fell, A Hard Days Night or All My Loving 

@WilliamS68311 - Do you have any Beatles movie songs to add?

Conversationalist

I was waiting for you to notice that, lol! Agree. Twist & Shout in Ferris Bueller, Yesterday in Yesterday, even Live & Let Die (Mac/Wings)... 

Honored Social Butterfly

Iโ€™m really slipping @MaVolta So glad you noticed! That must be fixed Lol

Conversationalist

Remember, not my list, AFI's list. I think based on some prominence of the film and/or song. Don't think I would have had Bob Hope on so much, and even all the songs from West Side Story or Sound of Music. Loved the movies and the songs, but don't think they should bump off some of the ones we have cited.

Honored Social Butterfly

AFI had a lot of film history to cover, and it looks like they tried to pick songs from each decade. That must have been a monumental task, and then try to rank them. But not having a single Beatles song on the list does seem like a glaring oversight. As you pointed out above, some of their songs were used in movies other than Beatle movies. I wonder what the debates were like behind the scenes! ๐Ÿค”

Honored Social Butterfly

The omission of any Beatles song is

unbelievably wrong ๐Ÿ˜ก๐Ÿคทโ€โ™€๏ธ

cancel
Showing results forย 
Showย ย onlyย  | Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 
Users
Need to Know

"I downloaded AARP Perks to assist in staying connected and never missing out on a discount!" -LeeshaD341679

AARP Perks

More From AARP