Is your 'stuff' stressing you out? TV personality Matt Paxton has tips for downsizing and decluttering in our free, two-part webinar! Register now.

Frequent Social Butterfly
Kudos
Views

Re: Retirement Musings - Destination Unspecified

Message 11 of 39
@d498982c: I like your positive attitude and I hope that many others "get the idea" after reading what you wrote! P.S. My bike was a Suzuki. I rode for over 35 years - loved it!
Report Inappropriate Content
Kudos
Views
Conversationalist
Kudos
Views

Message 12 of 39

Retirement is wonderful... I'm so busy I don't know how I ever had time to work... participating in more activities at my church... helping with youth group suppers... spending more time with my boyfriend... riding my Harley... yes, my Harley!!  Going places with my grandkids... planning a trip to Iceland next spring... reading to my heart's content... visiting old friends... taking lots of day trips... life is good!  Smiley Happy

Kudos
Views
Treasured Social Butterfly
Kudos
Views

Message 13 of 39

Wow  what a variety in the many posts here.  I have really enjoyed everyone's stpry and their point of view!!  

Life's a Journey, not a Destination" Aerosmith
Kudos
Views
Info Seeker
Kudos
Views

Message 14 of 39

I found myself very depressed agter I sold my business I had built over 40 years in my small town.  I didn't know who exactly I was since I had been that business for so long, AND I missed the hell out of my customers who were like family for me.  I didn't realize I had built the small business into something resembling an institution where families and children came to talk about what was going on in town as in who died, who got married, and almost anything else, as well as shop for things.  We had very good employees who were empowered to fix a customers legitamat problems even if I lost money.  We had popcorn for the customers and their children, and dog bisquits for their dogs.  Lots of people stoped just to share a new joke they had.  Remember, new customers are expensive to get to come in the first time, so I thought investing a few dolars in the current customers was a better route.

I also did a few community projects, like scholarships with the Elks for college bound kids, and Santa Clause for the food basket Christmas project, and more.

The new owners don't do any of this.  Their employees don't know much, and aren't particularly well paid, so they don't exibit mush of an attitude to sell nor are they allowed to solve problems, as this might affect the bottom line.

I also found that I did much better when I was scheduled, and it kept me off the couch and out of bed.  So what I have done is schedule myself for about 40 hours of work a week in my community.  City council, fly fishing club, Kiwanis, task force leading, breathing new life into necessary committees that the community needs, Salvation Army projects, looking for future projects to benifit my city, and a bunch more.  I have always believed I have to make a difference before I die.

SO, now that your retired, get out and make a difference in your area.  There are a lot of ways to help.

Kudos
Views
Silver Conversationalist
Kudos
Views

Message 15 of 39

Retirement has been a wonderful & relaxing experience. Initially I used my career in medicine & as a chaplain to work with neglected/abused area boys providing care & counseling. I've always been active in my church & now I have more time to expand that. We have a successful and active community center & I volunteer there, recently accepting the position of coordinator of a new Docent/Hospitality program. My wife is actively involved in the community theater and I help there as a volunteer to be supportive of her. Here in South Central Mexico we have fabulous year-round climate so I enjoy an extensive outdoor lifestyle including walks for exercise and puttering in my yard & garden with that option of a continuous growing season. Retirement in Mexico has afforded me the opportunity to learn & immerse myself in new cultures & traditions and utilize my Spanish learned years ago in high school & university. You can think of retirement as being "old" & you'll act & feel "old" or see it as living to the fullest...here I say: "we don't get old, we just get better."

Kudos
Views
Info Seeker
Kudos
Views

Message 16 of 39

I’m 65 years old, but was blessed to be able to retire from teaching 13 years ago. I’ve spent a lot of that time assisting my parents who are now 87 and 95 years old. But, that’s a blessing too since not many 65 year olds still have both parents living. Both are still mentally alert too! And for the last two years, I’ve been babysitting my 2 year old grandson 2-3 days most weeks. Oh what a joy he is!!! Believe it or not, I still have time to go on vacation for a week or two with my husband (who hasn’t retired) each year! In my spare time, I like to grow a vegetable garden and participate in activities at my church. Retired life is great!

Kudos
Views
Frequent Social Butterfly
Kudos
Views

Message 17 of 39

When I retired from my "real" job and my additional part time job at the same time, I took a stress-free part time job working in a gym where I got free use of the equipment.  In addition, I enrolled in a home study program with the intention of getting a bachelor's degree.  Two years later the gym closed down and I became a full time home study student.  Fast forward eight years from when I originally retired, and this month I received my PhD in botanical medicine.  What next?  Writing articles on natural health, and volunteering at the local library, but I get to choose the hours and what I want to do. 

Kudos
Views
Recognized Social Butterfly
Kudos
Views

Message 18 of 39

I love retirement and the ability to do whatever I want to do!

Kudos
Views
Highlighted
Conversationalist
Kudos
Views

Message 19 of 39

Been retired for quite some time, but I was not ment to do nothing. First I hired some people to put a new roof on the house and then I painted the outside. Then I thought I would take it easier and so I wrote a book for my own edification.

Now that is done so I hired new countertops and a new sink put into the kitchen and then painted the cabinet doors scarlet. Also painted the hallway and livingroom a bright white and painted the inside doors a deep green.

Soon people will come and redo completely one of the bathrooms. This house was built in 1969 and I can't take the blue tile any longer. Gues you know I will be painting when they are finished.

I am only 73 so I am just not ready to sit down for the rest of my life. If you want to live a long life don't sit down and waste away. That is all that is up to me, the rest is up to the Lord. Of course He has also given me the ability to keep on going.

Kudos
Views
Info Seeker
Kudos
Views

Message 20 of 39

Retirement: nothing to do and only half of that gets done!

Kudos
Views
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Users
Announcements

Have you taken a memorable trip to a destination others should know about? Post a Trip Report

city skyline captured on tablet

Top Authors