Take a look at how people age around the world with this AARP special report: A New Age.

Bronze Conversationalist
Kudos
Views

Re: Retirement Musings - Destination Unspecified

Message 21 of 39

I thought I’d like to work part time, but I don’t want anyone telling me I’m late.  I don’t set alarm clocks anymore. 

Report Inappropriate Content
Kudos
Views
Conversationalist
Kudos
Views

Message 22 of 39

Hello Baby Boomers,

I've been retired since 2009 and have loved every minute of it. Of course, there were tough times, but with prayer, I've been able to enjoy my retirement.

I was a corporate Travel Agent for over twenty-five years and dealt with many nationalities, personalities from all over the world. However, form me the people I had the most issues with were my co-workers. When you're dealing with micromanagement, office gossip, and backstabbers and you're only going to work to pay your bills, no longer can handle the people or stress before you snap. It's time to get away from those people.

Being a baby boomer allowed me to take early retirement with social security disability I took it, and have not been happier.

I'm truly sorry for the ones that are having a hard time and not enjoying your retirement. Hang in there, keep praying it will get better.

Kudos
Views
Conversationalist
Kudos
Views

Message 23 of 39

Retired about 7 years ago. I thought retirement would be wonderful and i would do all the things I didn't have time for when working.  I was looking forward to doing volunteer work -  which I do and enjoy it.  

Retirement has its ups and downs.  You have to keep busy and feel worthwhile.  I love my grandkids and help out when I can.  I still feel a need to make extra money for myself.  Yet, when I took a seasonal part time job in a department store, I found that I couldn't stand for more than 4 hours without my feet hurting.  It was very different from my sit down job.

I tried doing art.  Guess what?  I am not that good at it.  I do read alot.  I do crochet but not that good at it.  Guess if I look into new projects I will find something to fill the void.  Still I do thank God that I have been given this gift and now have to find a way to use it!

Kudos
Views
Info Seeker
Kudos
Views

Message 24 of 39

I enjoy being retired, although financially it can be worrisome.  However, even when I did work full-time I had to do a 'side-gig' or two to make ends meet, so here I am again doing just that to supplement my retirement:  I've become a product demonstrator, it's about five hours a day on the weekends, and not so bad.  I haven't done a lot of traveling or such (I actually did so much of that when I was working), that I don't feel that I'm missing out, I just enjoy being home and going to the movies occasionally.  I am always bookmarking events at museums, fairs, etc., that I want to see; but when the time rolls around it never seems to work out; I always just figure 'next year'; what an optimist, right?

L S

Kudos
Views
Silver Conversationalist
Kudos
Views

Message 25 of 39

i'll be retired 3 years in july. working getting a p/t job the last thing from my mind. one day at a time. love it. 

Kudos
Views
Conversationalist
Kudos
Views

Message 26 of 39

I was working for 25 years and thought I had my dream job on a division staff which I enjoyed. Then another of our divisions closed and the division manager from that location came to our division and brought my replacement with him. I found out when they started copying the other persons name on correspondence to me. I asked what was going on and was told to talk to the division manager. Then I found a memo sitting on the printer indicating what was happening. I ended up back in a field position but tried to make the best of it. One thing I enjoyed about the job was being able to be creative but then they took that away too. Now we were being told what to do, when to do it and how much time we had to do it in. Might as well be punching a time clock. After having enjoyed my job for 25 years I could not wait for the day I could retire and I got out at age 62. I have to say I transitioned to retirement very well. Now I sometimes enjoy doing nothing. However, six days a week I go out early in the morning, have coffee and read the newspaper. Many days I take my dog to the dog park to exercise her as well as myself. I go to the gym three days a week to exercise and I also started making wine again. I probably spend too much time on the computer making greeting cards, address labels and wine labels, on GasBuddy, Facebook, email, etc. Never, ever a regret of retiring early. That was fourteen years ago.

Kudos
Views
Bronze Conversationalist
Kudos
Views

Message 27 of 39

I love retirement.  In the almost eight years I have kept busy with volunteer work that I enjoy doing, travel, and seeing more of my grandkids.  We have since made a move to an over-55 community and I am also active in some of the things they have there.  I can do what I want, when I want and go anywhere I please on my schedule.  Sure there are some days that I am bored but it isn’t very often.  I have learned new things and love where I now live.  I miss my old friends from where we used to live two years ago but I am doing so much more now that gives me a sense of accomplishment and well-being.  Whoever said retirement is boring just buries themselves.  You have to take the initiative to get out there and do things.  No one is knocking on your door to force you to do anything.

Kudos
Views
Highlighted
Conversationalist
Kudos
Views

Message 28 of 39

Retirement is a wonderful position to be in if you are a very active person with a lot of interest and a large group of friends. Retirement can be the best thing to happen to you if your in that category.But not all people fall into that category and it can be lonely,boring and then depression will set in. Give retirement a lot of thought be for you do it. My husband and I retired 8 years ago some days are busy other days not so much.But remember life and retirement is what you want it to be.Enjoy,Enjoy, laugh and have fun.

Kudos
Views
Info Seeker
Kudos
Views

Message 29 of 39

I was terrified of retirement after 40 years of 60- hour weeks,  but it's turned out to be the best time of my life - time to try things I never had time or energy to do when I was working,  time to find out what gives me joy and what I love. If new opportunities presen I try it, then keep doing it if I love it and don't do it again if I don't. 

The joyful things?  I took some photography classes and use that skill when I travel, which I do as much as possible; learned duplicate bridge and now teach children as well as play several times a week; volunteer at local theaters and animal shelters; exercise, and spend time with friends and family.  And I'm sure there's much more life to explore if I just have the time to do it.   

Kudos
Views
Info Seeker
Kudos
Views

Message 30 of 39

Upside: I enjoy being able to completely control my schedule.  Can more or less do what I want to do when I want to do it, engage in my hobbies, volunteer work, etc.  Friends often ask "what do you do with yourself all day?" I reply, "Well, I manage to fill each day."  

Downside:  Loss of social engagement found in the workplace.  Find myself thinking back on good times and fun while completely overlooking frustrations, stress, bad bosses.  I was fortunate to have had a rewarding career, so I do miss that there was always something exciting to look forward to--an event, travel to a cool place.  It also amazed me how quickly the parted waters of one's departure close over.  Your responsibilities are redistributed and it rapdily beomes a "who?" scenario if and when your name even comes up.  Another thing is how almost immediately perks like elite status with airlines, hotels, etc. fall by the wayside.  Very a much a "what have you done for us lately" situation.

All this aside, I enjoy retirement, liesurely morning coffee at the computer.  After all it's an eventuality for many of us unless you happen to own your own business or are a professional practioner.

Kudos
Views