She Turned Her Passion for Animals Into a Business. Her Second Career Story in This Week's Spinoffs. Watch Now!

Info Seeker

Retirement Musings - Destination Unspecified

Message 1 of 1

“Ground control to Major Tom, ignition on, commencing countdown and may God’s love be with you.  This is Major Tom to ground control.  I’m stepping through the door and I’m floating in the most peculiar way.”

Ah yes, I have retired and it feels like a free fall, an unrestrained motion into the abyss.  Peculiar feeling.  Merriam Webster defines peculiar as “different from the usual or normal.” Well that’s an understatement.  There is nothing “usual or normal” about this.  This is like my navigation system that just hit the area that has not yet been mapped and screams at me in big green letters on my dashboard stating “unknown road.”

My work life was a perfectly choreographed manuscript.  My I-Phone and Outlook were a synchronized set of identical twins.  Before that, there was my aptly dubbed Crackberry with reminders set when and where I had to be on what day, before that there was my day timer, before my day timer, there was a desk calendar, and before that well there was a Big Chief tablet (yes seriously).  I knew pretty much what I would be doing every day of my work life.  If I wasn’t finding it for myself, technology was telling me where I had to be and what time I had to be there.  Then I retired.  Disconnected from my e-mail, my contacts, my calendar.  Free, unburdened, peculiar.

What am I going to do now?   My response to that question has been jaded, cynical, sarcastic even with a bit of sass mixed in.  Quite possibly one might think a little defensive of my new “every day is a holiday” status.  Why do I think I HAVE to do anything? Every gray hair on my head, every crinkle around my eyes, every furrow on my forehead, all earned my friends.  They are my badges.

What am I going to do now?  I am going to live in the very moment I am breathing in as “the past is never there when you try to go back.  It exists, but only in memory.  To pretend otherwise is to invite a mess.” – Chris Cobbs

Warm regards,
Report Inappropriate Content
Prepare to Care: A Resource Guide for Families download this free guide developed by AARP to help make caregiving more manageable. It includes information on how to have vital conversations with older family members, organize important documents, assess your loved one's needs and locate important resources.
Top Kudoed Authors