Content starts here
CLOSE ×

Search

Super Contributor

AARP Points Donation

Dear AARP@:

I was wondering about the AARP 4000 Points to give for Senior Eating & was wondering where that actually goes to? I honestly do not believe anyone would be bringing any food to my door with something like that anywhere in the USA.

Is that all done through food banks or some other non-profit ordeal? I'm aware in some States there is the USDA Commodities Program for 60+ that is not fair for those who give the points for the Elderly food & are not allowed to participate due to less than 60 years age discrimination.

Please help me with this; it sure would be Greatly Appreciated.

Thank you

Stay Healthy!!!

0 Kudos
Super Contributor

Dear @aarp

I will be here waiting for some information knowing I can give food to the 50 to 59 years of age regardless of what the State, federal or anyone else for that matter (in what I have titled: Age discrimination) has to so state from my original questions.

The food is given "freely" & they have no Right to tell me who does not get any at any age in this Country.

Stay Healthy!!!

0 Kudos
Super Contributor

Dear AARP@:

I found this on your website front page:

AARP is a United States–based interest group focusing on issues affecting those over the age of fifty. According to the organization, it had more than 38 million members as of 2018.
The AARP is America's largest special interest organization, representing over half of the over-50 population in the nation.
The AARP is considered a special interest group because of its advocacy on behalf of members on a number of important social and financial issues.
AARP fights for age 50 and over individuals and their families at the local, state and national levels.

For me to be confidant in knowing my "points donations" are 100% going to what I am reading on the AARP website than I am A-Okay with that. As I have previously stated "some states decide what is considered Elderly/Senior" & I am not one to be so different in that type of decision where some can eat & others can not.

I still have not heard any response from you AARP@ & it sure would be "helpful for me".

Thank you

Stay Healthy!!!

P.S. I have been able to find some things on AARP website in my internet illiteracy & there is still the "catch" for those who are ages 50 to 59 & that just "hurts" to no avail for them to be missing out & I gave.

0 Kudos
Social Butterfly

@gm5271 

Thanks for writing all of that information and your experience with the AARP Foundation.  I give points whenever I can because I have looked at the foundation enough to be convinced that it is a good charity and I'm glad to have the opportunity to help.  If there are two opportunities to give points then I give twice and feel good about it.

Again, thanks for the information!

Take good care,

AndrewToo
Social Butterfly

@andrewtoo 

Ditto! Andrew same here we've been fortunate enough to give twice month lately.... it gives a warm fuzzy feeling for us all to be able to donate and help

Ginger  ;  )

Conversationalist

Same here. I love to be able to give something back. 

Social Butterfly

@LaurajW510385 

Laura

Another note

Age limits of 60 at Senior Centers & such have been set by Federal government programs for years AARP has no control over that.

....I lived in Oak Island NC few years Senior Center there wasn't affiliated with government we paid $20 dues each year Age limit was 55 also AARP Foundation Tax services Volunteers came there every year. 

All Food Banks and many churches offer free food to anyone with a need... and the needs have been overwhelming since Pandemic... if you have a need you need check your local area & AARP site may can guide you to local help

Take care

Ginger  ;  )

Super Contributor

Ginger: my that is quite a bit of information you offered & Yet I still do not have mine answered.

I.E. Should you need $40.00 to give food to the AARP Seniors & you are not helping the 52 year old much less the 57 year old AARP Senior. I'm not going to give you My Points in your Age Discrimination.

I'm in an area where there is no food for the Elderly (50+ &/ 55+) Rural America because there is no money & there are no donations from the State much less Washington, DC. so I am told.

I have seen quite a bit of greed, selfishness, & hoarding USDA CARES Act food boxes stacked 2 pallets tall in the back of several pick up trucks out here.

Should you want my Points for 50+ Seniors AARP would you could you please help me with this. I believe I have a right to know & I'm not giving it to those who are Age discriminate. You also have your right to give it to whomever; however it is not helping the 50+ Seniors.

Stay Healthy!!!

Social Butterfly

@LaurajW510385 

Huh???? Laura

Sorry I'm afraid I'm unable to help you I'm not aware of AARP Foundation or AARP having age discrimination issues They help Seniors 50+ that's what they've always done Help Seniors and for many years you had to be 50 to join few years ago they removed age to join just pay dues but frankly don't think younger folks would have as much interest to program catering to Seniors

Therefore I don't get your real issue Sorry tried explain about Foundation and where our points donations are used thought that was part of your questions

Its not required to donate and you have every right to choose if donate or even if your a member of AARP or its Rewards program If your very upset and unhappy and bothered by program maybe its not for you??? Only you know what's best for you. 

FYI I lived in rural area in sticks down dirt path 30+ years & the meals I delivered to homebound folks homes were located in those rural areas & small communities around There's many programs of help available Good luck 

Take care 

Ginger  ;  ) 

Social Butterfly

@LaurajW510385 

Hey Laura

I will do my best to provide you some answers

AARP Foundation is a Nonprofit organization Charity They offer Seniors many many things and help in lots of ways....too many to mention all here...As for meals they do meal pack events every year in many areas and help support meals on wheels and Food Banks & others that provide meals to Homebound Seniors. They offer Free Tax Preparation services done entirely by volunteers this is available in tons of locations every year to mid and low income folks regardless of age. I've helped in delivery of meals to homebound folks and have friend whose been part of Tax Services every since it began. New to Foundation help is Financial online help and guides (Covid helped increase this need) Also they began helping Seniors with pet foods few years ago Sad to say in my meal delivery years I met some seniors who struggled with buying pets food they'd get can tuna and such with Food Stamps for their pets. Also Foundation helps with Seniors applying for Food Stamps - pardon know some call it something else anyway with food assistance.

As for meals if your homebound you should be able to contact your local Senior Center or such also many offer free meals M-F in Senior Centers regardless of income based on need & desire My area Senior Centers because of Covid are closed but still providing meals to folks in need 

You can read and find all kinds of info (Foundation) you are most likely seeking by clicking search button on AARP Site (see screenshot below) & entering AARP Foundation then click a link that appears. Also you can check with your local AARP Office. OOOPSSS I forgot simple there's a link for AARP Foundation on left side of Rewards dropdown list ....duh...🤯

I personally donate more than my monthly points allowance to Foundation- the need is great every $1 helps - also a personal choice whether to support & they've maintained a high Charity Navigator rating as long as I've been a member since 2008. Your/our 4000 points equals a $5 donation also if you donate points you should receive a Thank you email which has links and info about Foundation 

Best I figure and understand AARP already  sets aside funds it donates to AARP Foundation each month they just provide us Rewards members opportunity to feel & be a part in that support.

Hope I've helped & provided you few answers. You may can search Community site... members used to post about Foundation often b4 Community was updated. 

Take care stay safe

Ginger  ;  ) 

Screenshot_20210505-144733_Samsung Internet.jpg

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Users
Need to Know

NEW: AARP Games Tournament Tuesdays! This week, achieve a top score in Atari Centipede® and you could win $100! Learn More.

AARP Games Tournament Tuesdays

More From AARP