Content starts here
CLOSE ×

Search

Our Front Porch - Porch Pirates - Package Theft

Contributor

Our Front Porch - Porch Pirates - Package Theft

Porch Pirates are more than a nuisance. Sure they steal your packages, but what if you just got a notification that a package was delivered, you go outside to get it and actually run into a thief - then what?

Some deliveries have access to your garage so they can completely open your garage door, drop off the package, and then close the door - now everyone sees what you have.

Others use a porch box, but that's only good if you check it every day or pause your deliveries or the thief just takes the whole box.  

It's time to "Change how America gets their Mail."

0 Kudos
Bronze Conversationalist

It's time to "Change how America gets their Mail."

Several years back, there was talk of central pickup locations such as a nearby convenience store, that would be a 3rd party broker for mail hold & pickup, not sure what happened to that idea. 

I'd never install one, but surprised many of three "porch cams" aren't stolen themselves. 

If these thieves aren't prosecuted, in "catch & release" cities, what's the point?

0 Kudos
Contributor

Exactly, if there's no prosecution, it's time to "Change how America gets their Mail." Raise the bar and make it a standard. Working on it...

0 Kudos
Honored Social Butterfly

We had a brake in to our under ground parking garage a couple of weeks ago.  There was  some damage to a few cars and items taken.

They knew what they were doing as this is a secure arena. Not sure if they have any good information on the security cameras. 

A couple of bicycles were also taken.

Posted by Dave the Lighthouse Keeper
0 Kudos
Honored Social Butterfly

Hello, @5frostys. We have wireless security cameras, and are signed up with USPS Informed Delivery, plus, UPS, and FedEx -- to receive notifications of deliveries. I would suggest 'signature required' if you're going to be away, or to schedule deliveries that adhere to your schedule, or opt to pick up package in person. With USPS Informed Delivery you can also report missing mail. Our security cams can be monitored via cellphone when we are not home, with every motion we get notifications. Seems to work for us, anyway. I agree with @DaveMcK  that there are numerous phishing emails one can receive about 'Undeliverable Packages/Several Attempts Have Been Made,' but you can quickly understand that these are phishing/scam/spam emails because there is no mention of your actual name

Thanks for caring about our mail issues. 🙂

Contributor

Security cameras are great for making a report for lost items - I want to prevent the loss.

Informed deliveries are great, just don't order anything while on vacation.

Schedules are great and I can control mine, but not those other people that live here...(family members)

I sincerely believe online orders and their respective deliveries are the new norm. There must be a way for consumers to live their lives without needing to do anything about the delivery of their items - except say thank you perhaps.

Oh, and we haven't talked about the returns yet 😁  I avoid brick & mortar / physical stores and then have to go to one to make a return LOL.  No, there's got to be an answer...

0 Kudos
Contributor

Cameras capture pics of the thieves, but the Porch Pirate Act is stalled to prosecute.

Porch boxes get filled up if you go on vacation.

We got tired of Porch Pirates/Package Theft & Did Something about it.

0 Kudos
Bronze Conversationalist

I'm gone nearly 14 hours a day.  My "Work From Home" neighbors have gotten bored & figured out how to open my garage door with their "phones", thus I have had to disconnect the power while I'm gone.  Vacations, who needs them.  Sometimes surprised my mail is still there.  

Don't order anything via mail... problem solved. 

0 Kudos
Contributor

Still an issue where people are leaving packages outside and sure enough, they get stolen.  This one happened in Boston. https://www.nbcboston.com/news/local/charlestown-residents-see-uptick-in-porch-pirates-stealing-pack... 

" It’s not like someone would just be walking by here unless they were seeking out looking for packages.”

0 Kudos
Contributor

Help me understand why websites want to make fun of Porch Pirates instead of catching them?

Make Arizona's Porch Pirates Walk the Plank  - https://theplank.org  

Better yet, solving the problem should be the focus.

0 Kudos
Honored Social Butterfly

Also one needs to be aware of false notices that you have an undeliverable package and you need to contact a phone number to arrange a delivery. 

Posted by Dave the Lighthouse Keeper
Contributor

I apologize if this is a duplicate, but I "thought" I replied and don't see it. So, I'm trying again.

Absolutely, we should always be careful of those “phishing” to get more information from us. There are so many scammers out there wanting to get our personal information. Then you have real-world issues like missing a delivery because you thought you had time to run one more errand, or you went out back to do chores and didn’t hear the door bell.  

We should not have to be controlled by deliveries. With so many companies going online we’re simply forced to buy online and wait for that item.  

So far, what Amazon & UPS offer simply isn’t working. There were 210 million packages stolen in 2021 and it went UP to 260 million in 2022. There must be a standard. There must be a solution. 

0 Kudos
Contributor

I agree. There are so many things that could go wrong. False notices. SPAM. Scams. And then the true problems like getting delivered to the wrong address. Missing a delivery because you thought you had time to run an errand. I hate that so many of us have to buy things online and then are locked into having to be home to receive them... or risk them getting stolen.

0 Kudos
Contributor

Did you know there were 260 million packages stolen last year?

79% of Americans have been impacted by package theft.

The Porch Pirate Act, or law that would prosecute these thefts as a Federal Offense is stalled.

Building Codes that make our homes safe don't recognize the need for secure home deliveries.

0 Kudos
Contributor

0 Kudos
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Users
Need to Know

NEW: AARP Games Tournament Tuesdays! This week, achieve a top score in Space Adventure Pinball and you could win $100! Learn More.

AARP Games Tournament Tuesdays

More From AARP