Search

MORNING ROLL CALL! January-March 2021 CLOSED

Honored Social Butterfly

MORNING ROLL CALL! January-March 2021 CLOSED

Spoiler

Closed

Good morning everyone on this Friday morning January 1, 2021

20210101_104440.jpg

Good morning to everyone on the Front Porch on this January 1, 2021!

Ringing in 2021 at San Filippo Neri Hospital in Rome. Credit...Antonio Masiello/Getty Images

A difficult year comes to a muted end

Most places in the world, from a virtually coronavirus-free New Zealand to an Ireland in lockdown, have now greeted the arrival of 2021.

In Auckland, a fireworks show and parties went on as usual. The Chinese city of Wuhan, where the virus first emerged, enjoyed boisterous festivities. But in general, celebrations were muted — or virtual — as the world bade good riddance to a difficult year. In most cities, there were no roaring crowds, no gatherings for fireworks shows and, let’s hope, no strangers kissing at midnight.

Though Madrid eased its curfew for the night from midnight to 1:30 a.m., people were told to stay at home as much as possible, to eat the traditional New Year’s Eve grapes while watching events on TV (and gathering in groups of no more than six). London’s Big Ben, largely silent in recent years as its clock tower underwent renovations, rang 12 times at midnight. And in Paris, the only people roaming the Champs-Élysées were some of the 100,000 police officers deployed around the country to prevent crowds from gathering.

20201229_161148.jpg01ambriefing-europe-italy-lede-jumbo.jpg133688674_1783630068463669_3995358453950074551_o.jpg118959268_2787619294790458_2039857887100020463_n.jpg

FB_IMG_1460118275042.jpg

Posted by Dave the Lighthouse Keeper
Honored Social Butterfly

MORNING ROLL JANUARY - MARCH 2021 IS CLOSED! 

USE MORNING ROLL CALL APRIL-JUNE  2021!

178949.png

0 Kudos
Bronze Conversationalist

Good Monday morn, everyone!

The start of a new week with new possibilities and new adventures to discover!

It's a brisk and very w-i-n-d-y morning here in the Midwest with windchills of 36 degrees.  Brrrr!

But the sun is shining, my hyacinths are showing their buds, the tulip leaves are well above ground now... and life is good.  Wishing you well.   

0 Kudos
Honored Social Butterfly

Monday morning Ro, 32* and yes, it’s windy. For the first time since 1988 my pressure treated “heavy” picnic table moved in a 60 mph gale.

Sustained damage to a corner, guess I’ll be fixing that eventually.

Snowed last night and flakes presently but, despite everything mud season has begun,”Spring”.

Froze

And yes, after long days/nights, I'd still like to swing these hunks of glass , plastic and silicon against the nearest wall Come on retirement!
0 Kudos
Trusted Social Butterfly

Good afternoon, Peeps!

Speaking of Peeps, those disgusting marshmallow things are in full production again, after the hiatus die to COVID. I see them everywhere! No offense to those of you that enjoy them, but just the thought of biting through that crunchy sugar to get to the marshmallow part makes me think of nails on a chalkboard. LOL

We missed most of the forecasted severe storms yesterday. We had a little rain during the day, and one quick storm around 7 PM, but no thunder or lightning. We were lucky. It was all around, north and south of us.

I also saw that Nashville really got hit hard with flooding. 😧

We've got sun today, but with the wind, we started out in the 40's, feeling like the 30's, and now it's up to 50, feeling like the 40's.

Despite that...

SPRING IS IN THE AIR!SPRING IS IN THE AIR!

Recognized Social Butterfly

80 degrees today but expecting 32 night temp next week.  Way too much like summer and does not make me very happy.  Thankfully missed the tornadoes we were warned about.   Things finally moving with house building.   I so look forward to moving. To be more clear, not the "moving"  but "having moved".  A big distinction especially if you even studied Latin😉

Community Manager
Community Manager

Good morning/afternoon, everyone! Happy spring to all 🌻 I'm so glad to hear that you are getting vaccination appointments. I'm not eligible until it's open to anyone that wants one, so I am patiently waiting and in the meantime, hoping that DC improves its process and gets more vaccine supply.

If you're in need of some positivi-tea for this week, check out this week's Affirmation Tea.

Also, wanted to share the incredible sunset sky from Saturday night (equinox)! I can never get enough of those colors 😍 I'm planning on making a watercolor wash to mimic this incredible sky soon.

monument sunset equinox.jpg

Bronze Conversationalist

@AARPRachelA   Happy Spring to you too, Rachel!   It seems like forever in coming, but those new shoots making their way up out of my flowerbeds have got me very excited!!  Sorry I missed your Affirmation Tea, yesterday.  I was on a business trip all day.  

Love your equinox photo.  Hope you will take a photo of your watercolor when it's done.

Cheers!

Trusted Social Butterfly

@Frozenoem ...👍 Now if you can just take it easy in case you have a delayed reaction.

I had no trouble with the Pfizer. 😺

So I'm gonna ask again....does anyone know anything about Lydia? She has been MIA here for a while. 😞

Honored Social Butterfly

@catwoman500 

34* and clouding up.Snow this weekend.

Re: Lydia, aka LydiaN58309, haven’t heard from her in a few. When in doubt you can always PM her. Fair warning she used to work nights, spoke with her at 2 am when she was unwinding.

PM’s work as long as their original emails still are in existence.

Re: Phizer no side effects, it was just one of the ingredients, also used in imaging dyes that they were concerned about. The number of chemical compounds I’ve been exposed to courtesy of genetic research labs, all sound familiar. Best to err on the side of caution, just in case. Had my Ana kit and there’s standing by, just in case.

Feel like food and expresso , then what else semi-work have to glue a crossover down in a speaker, if I can lift up to bench.

Froze

And yes, after long days/nights, I'd still like to swing these hunks of glass , plastic and silicon against the nearest wall Come on retirement!
Trusted Social Butterfly

Hey, everyone,

Rainy day here; stuck in the 50's. Tomorrow will be better.

@Frozenoem ...hope you got some food and fuel. And, yes, I was going to PM Lydia if no one knew anything. I'll let you all know if I ear anything back.

Stay well, All! 😺

Trusted Social Butterfly

Thanks for this gorgeous day!Thanks for this gorgeous day!

Hey, Porch Peeps!

I heard from Lydia and she sends greetings. She's been catching up on her rest and is feeling better than she was late last year. Maybe she'll be back here this summer! YAY!

Today is like summer here in the Philly Burbs. I am wearing a tee shirt and have opened a bunch of windows and doors. Amazing. It's unusually warm for 3/26, but it's really 81 right now at 3:30. Of course there's always a twist...we have very heavy winds. 🌬

Hope everyone has an enjoyable weekend!

Honored Social Butterfly

@catwoman500 

Glad you reached Lydia , perhaps even Nancy will return after the plague is over.

It’s 38* here and I don’t see my Windows being opened for awhile. Had a little snow last night for a reality check on Spring in Maine.

Once more it’s playtime, firewood and really need to lose another stereo for cleaning, then sale.

Froze

Bronze Conversationalist

I had no trouble with my first Pfizer either...nothing at all.

Unfortunately, cat woman, I don't know everyone's first name, so I don't know who Lydia is.   Sorry....

Honored Social Butterfly

@AARPRachelA , where is that picture taken from?  I want to say 14th St. Bridge, but I'm thinking maybe not.  Perfect timing and perfect for watercolors.

0 Kudos
Community Manager
Community Manager

Hi @MsStretch! The photo was taken from my roof in Trinidad, NE DC. Zoomed in a bit to capture the monument!

Trusted Social Butterfly

Hey Everyone,

It was a nice day here in the burbs.

@Frozenoem ...hope everything went well for you today despite the long haul!

Today was National Puppy Day!

"Woof!""Woof!"

Honored Social Butterfly

@catwoman500 

I lived, they kept me for 1/2 an hour, just in case of blood thinners, and one possible allergy to Phizer ingredient.

Figured with the number of docs and nurses, all bases were covered.

Think I slept all the way back, who remembers city zones me out, either that or it was Merle Haggard. 

Froze

Bronze Conversationalist

Hey cat woman et. al.!

A very gloomy, rainy day here in the Midwest.  Keeping busy dodging raindrops while I empty my vehicle of some artwork, and getting ready for my trade-in tomorrow at the dealership.  YIPEE!!   New wheels!!  

Nice puppy photo!   Happy Puppy Day to all your puppies!!!

Kudos
Views
Silver Conversationalist

Our local medical providers notified us by email where and when to get our shots.  As SoCal is the original home of food drive ins (drive-thru) - that is how we got our shots.  Never left the car.  Just drove in and got stuck - then pulled to the mandatory 15 minute waiting area.  Then went home.  Easier than going to McDonalds;  Didn't have to give an order - the vaccine was waiting for us.

Bronze Conversationalist

@wilful.   No appointment needed???

0 Kudos
Silver Conversationalist

With the email notification came a choice of days and times.  I picked a date and time.  It was all real simple.

0 Kudos
Honored Social Butterfly

Welcome to the Front Porch on this week of Spring.

After what seemed like a long, cold, lonely winter, spring is finally here. Today is the first Sunday of Spring 2021.
The vernal (spring) equinox – which marks the beginning of astronomical spring in the Northern Hemisphere – took place on Saturday, March 20, at 5:37 a.m. EDT.

Go Bucky Go!

FB_IMG_1616332539470.jpg

FB_IMG_1616332591061.jpg

FB_IMG_1616332555417.jpg

FB_IMG_1616332569433.jpg

FB_IMG_1616332602834.jpg

Honored Social Butterfly

Good morning everyone on the Front Porch! 

Good morning America! There is something everyone should be aware of about Covid vaccinations!

FB_IMG_1616168334284.jpg

Bronze Conversationalist

Hahahahahaha!   Cute, Dave.  (Sounds like something I would do!)

0 Kudos
Honored Social Butterfly

@DaveMcK , you got me. 😄

0 Kudos
Trusted Social Butterfly

It's the last day of winter, Peeps!

Time to think of sitting on porches again. HA!

@RosemaryF433825 …thanks! I am still floating!

@MsStretch …sure is a great feeling! Congrats on being able to make that visit. It is so hard not seeing all your peeps in person!

@Frozenoem …yes, just get what you can get, when and where you can! I was thinking the same thing about canceling the other lists. Just yesterday I received an email from the county saying I could schedule my appointment, but according to the news, these appointments may be as far out as 4-5 months!

@LaDolceVita …. you be careful. Wet decks are dangerous. When I have mine replaced, I need that non-slip stuff!

@DaveMcK … Knew something was coming, but you got me, too.

By the way…where is Lydia?

Goodbye winter.jpg

Trusted Social Butterfly

Welcome, Spring!Welcome, Spring!

Good Afternoon, Porch Peeps,

It's sunny but chilly here. Was in the 30's this morning, but now is 57. Not bad for the first day of spring!

I hope everyone is enjoying a nice weekend.

Happy Spring-.png

Honored Social Butterfly

37* and the start of mud / road construction season.

One more day to go, awoke early thought shot was today, leapt out of bed. Tomorrow is 94 miles each way to site.

I might be slightly on edge, guess I need to do a laundry load, and see what still fits, or can be made to shrink. And also wash masks👍

@MsStretch 

Really hear you on friends &  family visits would really welcome it, only another month to wait, grand haven’t seem in two years.

Froze

0 Kudos
Recognized Social Butterfly

Hi folks.   We had 2 days of summer last weekend, enough to give a a forceful reminder of what is coming.   Back to spring now and it is pleasant and comfortable for now.  The severe weather we were warned about did not materialize.  Tiger the diabetic dog has pretty good blood sugar right now and good activity level but not much appetite.   He mostly wants to walk, not in the fenced area while I watch but on a leash with me following over hills and holes and vegetation.   I drew the line on walking on the wet deck, I almost slipped.  All is well here, actually kind of boring.😐 

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Users
Need to Know

NEW: AARP Games Tournament Tuesdays! This week, achieve a top score in Atari Breakout® and you could win $100! Learn More.

AARP Games Tournament Tuesdays

More From AARP