Content starts here
CLOSE ×

Search

Honored Social Butterfly

MORNING ROLL CALL 2024

MORNING ROLL CALL 2024
Top of the morning to everyone on this 3rd day of April 2024.

Happy Birthday to all of our April Birthday members.
April Birth Flowers: Daisies and Sweet Peas.

1000009941.jpg

1000010732.jpg

1000010733.jpg

Posted by Dave the Lighthouse Keeper
Trusted Social Butterfly

@Frozenoem   Hope you have recovered from oopsie!  @Therapist4u  temps went that low in Florida!  I guess you did get your oven working for the extreme weather then. 

@catwoman500  Glad you survived the power loss.  Its really crummy to not be able to even read to take your mind off your troubles during outages.  I have one lamp with batteries, just enough to get me through about 1 day if it is fully charged.  Could really use 2 more, flash lights are not nearly as versatile.

Cold is pretty much over, now we have rain and more rain.  Still working on finding someone to perm my hair.  Finding a new hair person has been very hard.  

Gold Conversationalist

Hi @LaDolceVita

THANKS for thinking of me!

AFA the oven ...yes it’s working...it’s always dangerous...but I couldn’t wait for someone *(who actually knew what they were doing!) After hours of tangling with metal tools & wires & high voltage...& dropping tiny screws into deep & unknown abysses...& getting cuts & bruises...I got ‘er done!  LOL!  Yet in the ensuing days of below zero....our power went out...finally restored...YEAH!... & then the water was off for a while to fix broken pipes.....& THEN....a circuit breaker flipped...I think the need for extra space heaters did it....but it wouldn’t come back on...PROB FRIED!...well...even tho I replaced one years ago....I didn’t want to chance screwing it up... & then needing massive circuit panel work & possible injuries...OR...YA KNOW...!

So this time I had to call an electrician....big bucks...but I’m alive to tell this>>>>tale of woe! Ha!

BTW: For power outages... or any emergencies...(or just to enjoy anytime) I always buy a few boxes of tea candles ...*when on sale... say at Walmart..a box of 100 is only about $6-7...& when put in votives (or any solid candle holders) they are quite safe & can be blown out & relit a few times!

Anyway...I hope all is well with you & YOU ARE staying safe & healthy as possible!

Take care!  ☮️  🌄 ~Allen 🌈  🎨

Trusted Social Butterfly

@DaveMcK   We had high winds and chilly temps last week.  Lost power for about 18 hours.   Starting the next cold spell.  The coldest night will be 11 degrees, with the high at 33.  That will be Tuesday the 16th.

Trusted Social Butterfly

Hey, All,

Wild week. Lost power like @LaDolceVita on Tuesday night until Wednesday night...about 23 hours. Power went out and BOOM...transformer blew. Only the 18 homes on our block were affected. Originally, they said it wouldn't be restored until Friday at 11 PM!

Not a happy camper with the backup sump pump sounding like motorcycles revving up and it was purging every 5 seconds!!!! I didn't sleep a wink.

Stepson came up Wednesday with a portable generator for the frig, but he was able to hook my heat up also...what a blessing.

Trucks arrived about 5PM on Wednesday to replace the transformer, and power was restored about 7:30PM.

Of course, my stepson couldn't come all the way back here that night so it was nuts with getting a neighbor to pour the gas into the generator so it would keep running until my stepson could come back to reconfigure everything after the power was restored.

Had another storm last night, but it wasn't as bad as the first one. Now we have winds to beat the band. Snow and colder temps coming.

@MsStretch ...not sure what is going on with the 🦅s!  Certainly disappointing. Monday night is the game in Tampa. 🤞

Glad you and Willie Mae have re-bonded. 😸

Gold Conversationalist

Hi! @catwoman500

You have a great stepson!

Can I borrow him! LOL!🙂

My oven heating element went out,...actually it almost caught fire!! 🔥...had I not noticed one part getting really red...when I checked back only a few minutes later, the unit had broken into several pieces! 1st thing always....cut the breakers! Then I had to figure out how to get it out safely,

“Heating element wires are sometimes secured with small male-female spade connectors or a thin, interlocking metal slot and insert. These can usually be separated with a quick pinch of your pliers” USUALLY! 🙄 HA!.... then ...

what part to buy (older ovens can be tricky finding wiring diagrams & exact parts ...i.e. matches in model & serial #s etc.),...how to (SAFELY) install a new one... & then accept paying much more to get it 1 day delivery...than to wait until the latter part of next week for a cheaper unit ...mainly because, we’re gonna have the same frigid system as y’all! Highs will only be in the 20s most days with wind chills near zero!

7.JPG

So this is the time of year to have a functioning oven ....& do more baking..😊

Anyway,... Take care! 🏒☃️☮️~Allen 🌈🎿❄️🏂

BTW: GO EAGLES!

Vintage Philadelphia EaglesVintage Philadelphia Eagles

Honored Social Butterfly

@Therapist4u , back in 2023, you had mentioned something about recovering some files from a computer you did a system restore on.  That's what I meant about the cloud, as in have your files been backed up to the cloud? ☁️ 📂

It's been pouring here all day.  🌧️ Guessing all of us on the east coast have been suffering the same fate.  Also we are under a high wind advisory 💨, but I think we dodged the bullet, although I did just hear a large thump on the deck a few minutes ago. 😬 I don't even want to see what that was 🫣, but I think that big tree growing out of my deck might be sending down some more goodies again.

Phone has been going on all day with alerts about roads closed due to accidents or flooding or in one case, downed power pole.  And *knocking on wood* power has stayed on although the FIOS box went into Reboot mode a couple of times.

Stay safe out there everyone! 👷🚧

Trusted Contributor

Crazy January in the east. Let's hope February is better weather wise 

Gold Conversationalist

Hi @MsStretch 

Well, I dare say... you have a better memory than I do of my own posts....LOL!

BTW: we just got hit by that same high winds & rain/snow system with minor damage...

I hope that you...& your place... are safe & in good shape! Anyhoot....TTYL!

Take care! ☮️~Allen 🌈

Honored Social Butterfly

Hey peeps.  Try to catch up from 2023.  I see @DaveMcK has moved us into next year's porch.

@Frozenoem, glad you're hanging in there.  I know it is sometimes hard to check in, cause too many other things are demanding our attention.

@LaDolceVita, hoping you're staying toasty warm in spite of that "old-time, homey" smell. 😁 Speaking of walking dogs, Willie Mae was giving me the cold shoulder because I was just basically ignoring them and didn't give her any quality time.  I fed them, but it was in and out.  (Couldn't help it, due to certain circumstances)  She ran/hid from me like I was a stranger and ignored any food I tried to feed her.  So tonight, although I wasn't predisposed to doing so, I knew I had to re-bond with her and took her and Giorgio on a quick, short walkabout/pee break.  (Giorgio still loves me.)  I think it worked.  She allowed me to touch her, with her stick, of course.  I think we're buds again. 😽 Who knew a feral cat would require such maintenance and stroking of their ego, although I think it was my ego that was hurt more. 😢

@Therapist4u, got one question: The cloud?

@catwoman500, I hope the Eagles get fired back up and turn it around. I even thought that the Commanders might help Eagles cinch first when they took the first lead against the Cowboys, but ah, it was not preordained.  Coach is gone, but he did take the team through a rough period.  Owner issues.  Team issues.  Name changes.  It's been a dark period for Washington.  Anyway, Cowboys still have to play in the wild card just like the Eagles.  So no advantage there.  They got no bye.

Waving at @1StepATaTIME and your bud, Mr. No-Name, in case you stop by. 👋

Trusted Social Butterfly

@MsStretch  Your Willie Mae story had me laughing.  A cat that likes to be petted with a stick.  I hope your ego was not too bruised.  I forget, do you have indoor cats too?

Gold Conversationalist

Hi @MsStretch

So by....”got one question: The cloud?”

Did you mean do I have my head in the clouds....HAHA....& why Yes..I do!!!...LOL!!

Hope you’re doing well!

Take care! 🏒☃️☮️~Allen 🌈🎿❄️🏂

Gold Conversationalist

Hi Dave @DaveMcK

Glad you got your phone back up & running right!

HAPPIER HAPPIER.JPG

Hope you’re doing well!

Take care! ☮️~Allen 🌈

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Users
Need to Know

NEW: AARP Games Tournament Tuesdays! This week, achieve a top score in Space Adventure Pinball and you could win $100! Learn More.

AARP Games Tournament Tuesdays

More From AARP