Content starts here
CLOSE ×

Search

Honored Social Butterfly

MORNING ROLL CALL 2023.

MORNING ROLL CALL 2023
CLOSED USE THE 2024 ADDITION!
Good morning to everyone on this 6th morning of December 2023.

Happy Birthday to all of our December Birthday members.
I turned 80 on December 1st

FB_IMG_1633301117620.jpg

Winners are not people who never fail, but people who never quit and above all who learn from their mistakes. Be a winner this December.”

1000009736.jpg

Posted by Dave the Lighthouse Keeper
Honored Social Butterfly

Now that Mary and I are Covid free we are getting out and about. We are able to do some shopping at the grocery store and drug store to restock the refrigerator and the freezer. Also stock the cabinets wih snacks and cereals. 

Being able to visit our daughter and our grandchildren.was as big a treat as ever.

We both had doctor and dental appointments.

Interesting how enjoyable doing the basic things in life are.

Hoping everyone of you are enjoying the weekend. 

Kudos
Views
Trusted Social Butterfly

@DaveMcK ... HOORAY! Getting back to normal life must feel great! Congrats!

Recognized Social Butterfly

@MsStretch I know what you mean, saying the final good bye is terribly hard and never gets any easier.  I have a dog around 20 years old, I got her 7 years ago and she keeps on going but her health is changing.

Hi porch folks!  Terrible heat and humidity here accompanied by storms.  We have lost power several times.  Lots of huge trees down. Very scary.   I must grit my teeth and bear this weather, only 3 more weeks to September.

Honored Social Butterfly

Storms many here in Maine, no electrical issues other than rates.Has been comfortable with no need for A/C back is grateful , no need to put in window.

Still waiting for logging roads to dry up, mega slosh roads. 4x4 isn’t really cutting it, don’t know when my wood will be delivered.Sinking to the axles on a skidder is less than fun. 

This may be an actual oil heat year🤬, still prefer wood but, only have a cord from last year left.

Enjoy your weather, I’ll be busy with Insurance companies and TriCare 🤬, so expect silence from me until issues are fixed, don’t have a civil tongue for the moment.

Froze

And yes, after long days/nights, I'd still like to swing these hunks of glass , plastic and silicon against the nearest wall Come on retirement!
Silver Conversationalist

Hang in fellow mainer. Vent here if you see the need.

Honored Social Butterfly

Believe I’d be bleeped or banned at the moment. Four insurances and no coverage🤬🤬🤬🤬. Hope it’s a dosage or quantity issue but, can’t speak to anyone again until Tuesday.

Spent 3 hours on Friday, and Saturday and Sunday trying to be civil not ez. Remembered phrases from 60 years back. 

Froze

And yes, after long days/nights, I'd still like to swing these hunks of glass , plastic and silicon against the nearest wall Come on retirement!

@Frozenoem   Hope your insurance troubles have been solved!  Bad enough to have to suffer with  medical issues, much less no cooperation from insurers.  

I have been trying to post a picture of my fence without success for over a week.  Will keep trying.  Never had problems before.

2 comments (8/19/23)

@LaDolceVita , are you getting an "error message" when loading your picture of your fence? 🤔

Nicole 🙃

@SpringIsHereSoHappy  Glad to see you posting again.  We need to be perked up once in awhile.   Hope everyone fine on the Porch. We are expecting a beastly hot week but the worst will be over after Saturday.

Had to use desktop to post picture.  Trying to use laptop I kept getting upload error messages.

Janie & fenceJanie & fence

Not much grass as you see.    Lots of trees though.

Trusted Social Butterfly

@LaDolceVita ...Nice fence! As I mentioned, I need a new one, too.  Stepson looked at it when he was up on Saturday, and will tie it up somehow this week, but I know I need to get the fence people in. I do like the look of yours. I have a vertical wooden slat one now.

Tree guys were here Thursday to take down 4 what I call "bird trees." They are really rum cherry trees that the birds "planted!" They were not here when we moved in in 1983! So tall and drooping way over the neighbor's driveway so had to get them taken care of before they come home from PEI next month and the branches would touch their car as they would drive in. The rest of the trees on my property will be trimmed when they are dormant, but these had to be taken care of ASAP.

Weather is weird again. Lovely weekend in the 80's with no humidity, but today it will get to 90 with the humidity back, and then tomorrow it will be nice again. Go figure. It's summer in the Philly burbs.

Last night there were 2 deer back where one of the trees was taken down. I think I startled one when I was closing the sliding door curtain. He/she jumped the fence. Then I noticed 2 more on the other side of the fence in the neighbor's yard. The are getting very brazen coming out of the mini woods across the street. 🦌 No antlers on these, but last year a small herd was next door and one had antlers. Neighbors came home from PEI last year and wondered what had happened to all the planting they had done. Ooops!

I couldn't take a photo through the screen, but maybe the next time.

You all take care!

"You lookin' at me?""You lookin' at me?"

Trusted Social Butterfly

@Frozenoem ...Keeping you in thoughts and prayers! Respect!

Slept through last night's storm for some reason. Could be the AC and TV on so no windows open to hear it. Hang in!

Trusted Social Butterfly

@LaDolceVita ...Whoa! 20 years old???? I thought my cat Licorice had a good long life at 17 before he passed away, but 20 years! WOW!

Hear you about the humidity. UGH! Turned the AC back on today, but pretty sure I can't turn it off for tonight like I have been doing. Hate sleeping in a vacuum. Would much rather wake up to the birds chirping. 

Hang in there! 😸

Honored Social Butterfly

I noticed with a touch of irony that today is International Cat Day.  Sadly, on Saturday, I had to let my senior furbaby go to her forever sleep. 🌈🐈 No matter how many times I've gone through this, it is still one of the hardest things I have ever done.

But enough dwelling on sadness, I still have the outdoors kids demanding their daily walkabouts and belly rubs with Willie Mae sticks. And today is a breezy sunny day, so I better get on it.

🚶🐈🐈🐈

Silver Conversationalist

My sincerest condolences for your loss. I just had to say my final goodby to one of my furbabies as well. I know in my heart that I will be holding her again soon. Be well.

1 comment (8/8/23) 

Ms. Stretch @MsStretch 😢

Nicole

0 Kudos
Trusted Social Butterfly

@MsStretch...Very sorry for your loss. 😿

Honored Social Butterfly

We went over to our youngest daughter's home to celebrate her 37th birthday today. Our oldest is 50 and our middle daughter is 47.

Our youngest grandchild is now 4 1/2 months old.

As happy as they make me feel they make me feel all of my 79 years of age.

Hoping everyone had an enjoyable weekend. 

Mary and I both have had Covid-19 since July 3rd after she and a friend returned from their tour of Alaska.

Regular Social Butterfly

I'm so sorry to hear you and Mary are going thru this! I have "long-covid" which while not as bad as when I had covid, has taught me a few tips I hope will assist you both:

• Forget tissues; carry an almost out of toilet paper roll instead (about 1" from the roll). usually 2 will wipe the continuing release from the nose.
  • Cough drops/lozenges do not help, at all, period, exclamation point 😉 try warm salt water gargle or just bear with it; the hacking/coughing will eventually abate.
  • Don't feel ashamed to wear a mask; when/if I feel feverish, I do; it's okay, really.

Dave and Mary, be sure, this too will pass.

denese

#StaySafe

#VegasStrong
Phil Harris, actor and showman, to John Fogerty of CCR: “If I’d known I’d live this long, I’d have taken better care of myself.”
Honored Social Butterfly

Still testing positive but not feeling very sick. Hoping everyone on the Front Porch is having a restful weekend. 

Our weather is a mixture of Canadian smoke, clear skies, light rain and long dry spells.We have had some strong storms. 

Next week we are expecting a hot period with temperatures around a 100*.

Honored Social Butterfly

Bummer, @DaveMcK . 🙁  Have a friend who went on an Alaskan cruise in May.  She returned unscathed; however, she got Covid🦠on a previous cruise last year.

Trusted Social Butterfly

Yikes! All the names came up screwy...hopefully it's OK now...

Hey there Peeps!

@LaDolceVita@DaveMcK@LeeS4949, @MsStretch@Frozenoem

Wow, Dave!  So sorry to hear about Covid resurfacing. Hope you are both feeling better by now!

Happy you are finally "fencing," @LaDolceVita. 🤺 😸

Smoke here one day, gone the next, and back again. It's been crazy. One day it was just PA that had the bad air quality and then we were fine the next day. It hasn't seemed as bad as the one day in June when you could actually smell it.

Have been in AC mode for a while. The humidity has just been awful so no open windows at night. I miss waking up to the birds. Maybe this weekend????

At least it's not as bad here as out west...holy cow, those temperatures!

Had to take the car in today for state inspection. Still not sure how to use the phone with the car. Should have asked today at the dealership. The phone is so old, it connects to the car, but the GPS thing doesn't come up on the car screen. I'm really never in the car long enough or go far enough to use a GPS, but it would be nice to have it figured out. I'll just stick to the phone talking me through if I need to. Problem is you have to turn off the Bluetooth so the phone "talks" and if you do that, the phone is not connected to the car. I really should get a new phone but am procrastinating. 🙄

You all stay safe! HYDRATE!!!!!

hot and humid.jpg

Honored Social Butterfly

When names come up screwy or just put me in the loop of bio’s repeatedly usual is just say the heck with it.

this would be the day.

last week has been rain and heat, with new med’s avoiding sunshine - photosensitive for next week, no sunshine allowed🤬.

Finally got the back yard, whacked down by neighbor. And front yard.

Luckily went back to Rangeley and fished that’s allowed if under a Bimini. Canvas roof on boat.

Hope everyone enjoys their weather whatever it is, I sill don’t need A/C Actually wearing fleece in house to stay warm. Still shopping around for firewood, all loggers are waiting for roads to become firmer before hauling can begin. 🍀ly I still have a cord of last years wood for just in case.

Froze

@catwoman500   I understand about your phone and car dilemma.  I was totally overwhelmed by all the new stuff on my Explorer.   However I immediately fell in love with the nice big navigation screen and the navigation arrows  near the speedometer.  I find it much easier to follow the directions.

It's hot here too and very humid. The count down to fall began a week ago!!

Honored Social Butterfly

It has been a very crazy time here in our household since July 4th. Mary had just returned from her trip and cruise in the Alaskan area. 

She was not feeling well and I suggested she take a home Covid-19 test and yes it was positive. It ran it's course but now she  is battling bronchitis.

She passed on her Covid-19 bug to me.

I hope everyone has an awesome afternoon and stay well.

I talked 

@DaveMcK   Hope you will get better soon Dave!  Sorry this happened to you.

"They" are working on the fence today.  "They" consists of one man.  His son is on another job south of Atlanta.  He said they have 40 jobs lined up by Home Depot for the two of them.  He also said they cannot get anybody to work for them.  He will work today until the rain starts and come back on Monday to finish.  They work a 4 day week.  We took down my fragile little fence, now I have to figure out something to do for a dog barrier for 5 days.  😶

Silver Conversationalist

Heres hoping that you both feel better very soon.

Honored Social Butterfly

Hoping everyone had an enjoyable 4th of July!

We are are deep into a drought with hot days and nights. 

With the lack of moisture many crops are in danger of failure this year. Crops in danger are field corn, sweetcorn, potatoes, oats, wheat and others.

This will show up as higher prices for food in the future. This will include eggs, dairy products,  meats and vegetables.

Hoping you are enjoying your summer. 

Honored Social Butterfly

Hey Dave we seem to be at the opposite end of rAin cycles, with our first hotter than heck heat. Almost tempted to put A/C in the window, the 90* temp yesterday tempted me.

Todays 69* and rain kinda changed my mind again, standing water and new crops of mosquitoes. My ex’es house was in midst of flash floods and her road washed away last week.

Honestly I just want to try getting some more shots of the Aurora, either in NH or Maine around 20-30 minutes up or down the road for me. If it ever stops raining?

Weather permitting, the Northern Lights will be visible in Alaska, Idaho, Indiana, Maine, Maryland, Michigan, Minnesota, Montana, New Hampshire, New York, North Dakota, Oregon, South Dakota, Vermont, Washington, Wisconsin and Wyoming.

If upright aka awake between 10 pm and 2 am check out this NOAA website for 30 minute updates of where you may be able to see the Aurora.

30 minute Aurora borealis update btwn 10-2am 

Time to see is I can start the weed whacker going my grass is presently 3 foot high in back yard, neighbor hit my front lawn with their yard tractor, thankfully.

Froze

Silver Conversationalist

Good to hear from you Froze. Its icky/sticky here,misty and I'm waiting for the heavy rain all the talking weather heads say is coming tonight. On the positive side my Ark is coming along nicely. Stay well.

Honored Social Butterfly

Mooselookmeguntic and Upper Richardson won out for where to spend the last week. Old coffee grounds simmering in an old tuna can worked at keeping the bugs at bay, almost the same as the coils.New happiness is Frenchies bug repellent and/or Deet.

My ark is a Polarcraft haven’t required using for other than fishing or trips into town for a newspaper from anywhere.🤣Only so many times you can read the history of the Rangeley boats square end for motors.

Today it’s back to rain and thunderstorms think I may have been tired slept through all of them.Salmon quota hit.

Froze

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Users
Need to Know

NEW: AARP Games Tournament Tuesdays! This week, achieve a top score in Atari Centipede® and you could win $100! Learn More.

AARP Games Tournament Tuesdays

More From AARP