Content starts here
CLOSE ×

Search

Bronze Conversationalist

Food tip needed.

I don't see a 'kitchen' forum here, but thought I'd give this a whirl. How do you keep cut onions, and garlic from going bad in the fridge ? No matter what I try, it doesn't work well. I do have a garlic keeper for counter top storage-that works ok.

Sandee2
0 Kudos
Regular Social Butterfly

I've become somewhat informed re food tips since I no longer drive and depend on delivery and try to limit that to only every 6 weeks so as to limit tips for shoppers/drivers (even though they deserve).

I have found every "root" veggie freezes well as long as cut/stored asap.

I freeze some (e.g., garlic / onion) in "snack" bags; peppers in "sandwich" bags... potatoes in "quart" storage bags...

I think you've hit on something we need: a "kitchen" forum! Thanks for that suggestion; I hope AARP will consider that new category!

Thanks, again!

#StaySafe

#VegasStrong
Phil Harris, actor and showman, to John Fogerty of CCR: โ€œIf Iโ€™d known Iโ€™d live this long, Iโ€™d have taken better care of myself.โ€
0 Kudos
Trusted Contributor

replies don't seem to allow me to post links.

from the Food Network

Google "How to Store Onions"

and "How to Store Garlic"

articles will come right up.

0 Kudos
Contributor

Chopped onions are best stored in the freezer. It shouldn't take long for them to thaw in any recipe. The chopped garlic will last about a week in the refrigerator if stored in olive oil or some other vegetable oil OR it can be frozen for about three months. Hope that helps. I'd like to see a "kitchen" forum as well. 

cancel
Showing results forย 
Showย ย onlyย  | Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 
Users
Need to Know

NEW: AARP Games Tournament Tuesdays! This week, achieve a top score in Block Champ and you could win $100! Learn More.

AARP Games Tournament Tuesdays

More From AARP