Content starts here
CLOSE ×

Search

Anyone try to buy furniture lately?

Regular Contributor

Anyone try to buy furniture lately?

Anyone have this problem?

Moved into new apartment and need a few things. Problem is much furniture needs assembly and most places no longer offer this service - even when you're willing to pay to have it done. They just drop ship to your address - no unpacking, no carrying it into your home - nada!

Hiring someone poses another problem: If that person doesn't do it correctly or damages it, you have no real recourse since the worker is not a store employee.

Since I have no children and am new to this area I have no circle of friends to help.

I'm curious how others are handling similar situation? Thanks for any advice.

0 Kudos
Bronze Conversationalist

Dreaded words "Some Assembly Required".๐Ÿ™„

I'm taking you aren't good with hand tools, or mechanically inclined?   That newer pressed board furniture being rather heavy occasionally need the second set of hands to hold something too.

My recent purchases were gently used pieces from This End Up, or Cargo, but again those being super heavy, let alone needing a larger vehicle to transport. . 

0 Kudos
Regular Contributor

Appreciate your comments, but I'm actually pretty handy, the one drawback is my age. Had ordered a large piece of assembly-required furniture several years ago and many parts and drilled holes did not fit correctly. The store finally gave me a credit and I had to get rid of the unassembled pieces. Never again! 

It used to be so easy to buy furniture and have it delivered fully assembled and unboxed. Seems that "Full Service" is a phrase we will never hear again.

0 Kudos
Bronze Conversationalist

Nope, not anymore... strange in other lines all they want to sell you is "service" too, look at the automobile industry.   I still try to do what I can, but age can make one less capable... and they know it!

Looking at some of the furniture today, makes me appreciate the older furniture, it was built better, it was lighter in many cases.  I have a Sofa/Loveseat combo that has the ability to be broken down, I have had new cushions & arm rests made, but I still can move this myself, & basically snaps together.   

0 Kudos
Honored Social Butterfly

In my area Maine most stores with in 4-5 hours will delivery ver and set up all furniture. Standard tools will assemble most all furniture. That would include labor cap mom and pops and big name furnitures stores.

Persnally I donโ€™t mind buildings

or making my own simple furniture 

Froze

And yes, after long days/nights, I'd still like to swing these hunks of glass , plastic and silicon against the nearest wall Come on retirement!
Trusted Social Butterfly

In my locale there is a family owned furniture store that delivers the furnitue in the assembled state and removes the old furniture /matress ..delivery was or is free ..The furniture is USA made and of a higher quality ..You get what you pay for...Shop around your locale for a furniture store of higher quality or go on Angies list to hire a handy man tha will do it for a price...

0 Kudos
Silver Conversationalist

I owned my own furniture store for almost 20 and worked on a sales floor for many years before that. My company and the couple of companies I worked for provided assembly if needed (occasional tables,dining,and some chairs required assembly) this was provided during delivery and set up. I sold my biz and retired 10 years ago and yes,I suppose the set up and assembly part may have faded into the sunset but I just cant believe in todays market there isn't a furniture retailer out there who would not jump at the chance to service you. If you purchase on line you get nothing but the unassembled product,but if you visit a brick and mortar store you deserve full service. Dont give up.what you are looking for is out there.

0 Kudos
Regular Contributor

Thanks for your thoughts. Many local stores are online. When I see something I like, I call the store to see if they provide assembly and "white glove" delivery. So far only very high end stores may offer this, but even some of them just do not and hand you off to a third party service. The lines of responsibility have completely broken down.

Again, Lee, thanks. I haven't given up yet.

Honored Social Butterfly

@auapplemac wrote:

The lines of responsibility have completely broken down.

@auapplemac,

I would suggest if you want furniture delivered the old fashioned way, that you shop for it the old fashioned way by going to a furniture store, speaking to a sales associate, paying for the furniture and its delivery to your home. If you are trying to save a buck, you will end up getting what you pay for. It has nothing to do with the lines of responsibility breaking down.

Regular Contributor

The sad thing is your saying "delivered the 'old fashioned way',.." That does make me sad.

0 Kudos
Honored Social Butterfly

@auapplemac wrote:

The sad thing is your saying "delivered the 'old fashioned way',.." That does make me sad.

Why should it make you sad?

(1)You go to a furniture store.

(2)You find a piece of furniture you like.

(3)You can touch it and assess its sturdiness and materials.

(4)You negotiate a fair price for the item and its delivery.

(5)You make an appointment for delivery.

(6)It is delivered and placed by store delivery associates.

It resolves your issue of a third party.

But more importantly, it prevents you from CREATING an issue such as "THE LINES OF RESPONSIBILITY HAVE COMPLETELY BROKEN DOWN"

Example: It wasn't furniture but was appliances. I had a nightmare with HOME DEPOT who did use a third party delivery service for a dishwasher. Three different crews screwed up my delivery and installation. When it was time to replace our refrigerator, stove, microwave, we went to an OLD FASHIONED appliance store. They display the appliances, they negotiate the price of the appliances, and, best of all, their employees do the delivery and installation. IT WAS A WONDERFUL EXPERIENCE. 

I suggest taking @LeeS4949's recommendation, take a step back, and do things the old fashioned way.

Maybe you won't get so FRUSTRATED........

0 Kudos
cancel
Showing results forย 
Showย ย onlyย  | Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 
Users
Need to Know

NEW: AARP Games Tournament Tuesdays! This week, achieve a top score in Space Adventure Pinball and you could win $100! Learn More.

AARP Games Tournament Tuesdays

More From AARP