Content starts here
CLOSE ×

Search

Any other gardeners out there? ๐Ÿฅ€๐ŸŒป

Anonymous
Not applicable

Any other gardeners out there? ๐Ÿฅ€๐ŸŒป

• This discussion was created on March 19, 2021.
  • Are you an inside or outside gardener? Maybe both?
  • Sow seeds? Or cuttings? Or plants from your local nursery?
  • Any gardening tips?
  • Your favorite plant?
  • Stop by to read the comments and/or leave a comment.
  • We luv hearing from you!
Regular Contributor

My wife and I garden. We grow vegetables, herbs, some flowers, and just enjoy having fun with it all. 

Regular Contributor

Here are a couple of photos of our main garden.

main gardenmain gardenmain gardenmain garden

Anonymous
Not applicable

@santaboba wrote:

Here are a couple of photos of our main garden.

main gardenmain gardenmain gardenmain garden

๐Ÿ’ฅThey are gorgeous @santaboba !!!! ๐Ÿ’ฅ

Regular Contributor

Thank you, @Anonymous! ๐Ÿ˜  I give most of the credit to my wife. I do help her with some of the planting and watering, but she's taken care of these plant babies. Most from seed, too!

Anonymous
Not applicable

@santaboba wrote:

Thank you, @Anonymous! ๐Ÿ˜  I give most of the credit to my wife. I do help her with some of the planting and watering, but she's taken care of these plant babies. Most from seed, too!

๐Ÿ’ฅWhere does she get her seeds @santaboba ? ๐Ÿ’ฅ

0 Kudos
Regular Contributor

There's a local girl she gets most of them from (www.thepatiofarmer.com), but I think www.johnnyseeds.com is another place.

Anonymous
Not applicable

@santaboba wrote:

There's a local girl she gets most of them from (www.thepatiofarmer.com), but I think www.johnnyseeds.com is another place.

๐Ÿ’ฅThank you @santaboba . I will check the links. ๐Ÿ’ฅ

Regular Contributor

You're welcome! I'll share more photos later. We have a lot coming up. ๐ŸŒฑ

Anonymous
Not applicable

@santaboba wrote:

You're welcome! I'll share more photos later. We have a lot coming up. ๐ŸŒฑ

๐Ÿ’ฅI am looking to seeing them @santaboba ๐Ÿ˜Ž ๐Ÿ’ฅ

Anonymous
Not applicable

• I do both but scared of snakes. ๐Ÿ˜ฑ
  • I find Pothos are hard to kill ๐Ÿ˜‰ and easy to proprogate.
  • Hmmm seeds, still struggling.
0 Kudos
Bronze Conversationalist

I once had over 20 flowerbeds that I planted, weeded, and took care of.  Of course, those were in the days when I was MUCH younger!   Ha!   I have since sold that property and now have flowers completely around the base of my house as well as a couple of small "memory gardens" that are in memory of past family members who have died.  Gardening is VERY MUCH my passion!!

Anonymous
Not applicable

๐Ÿ’ฅMay 11, 2021๐Ÿ’ฅ

Hi @RosemaryF433825 luv your memory garden concept ๐Ÿ™‚ ๐Ÿ™‚ ๐Ÿ™‚

0 Kudos
Bronze Conversationalist

Hi Angela!   Thanks!

They aren't big gardens, but they are a small way I can remember/honor  each of them with the kinds of flowers that they loved.  I also found some small garden flags that say they are still loved as well, that I put in the flowerbeds, too.

Anonymous
Not applicable

๐Ÿ’ฅMay 11, 2021๐Ÿ’ฅ

You are welcome @RosemaryF433825 !!!

0 Kudos
Honored Social Butterfly

I'm a retired Gardener as we move into our 4th floor appartment in a retirement center last July in Madison, Wisconsin.  Here are a few examples:

20200710_112840.jpg

20200707_112046.jpg

20200506_153703.jpg

FB_IMG_1555110279504.jpg

20200609_103135.jpg

20200609_102923.jpg

Posted by Dave the Lighthouse Keeper
Anonymous
Not applicable

๐Ÿ’ฅMarch 22, 2021๐Ÿ’ฅ

Hi @DaveMcK thanks for stopping by ๐Ÿ™‚ I hear you are into lighthouses and basically organizing the Front Porch Forum. Great setup. Luv the pictures. So you guys no longer garden at all = maybe indoor? Thanks, Angela ๐Ÿ™‚

0 Kudos
Honored Social Butterfly

@Anonymous  We will mostly likely have a few indoor plants in the future like amaryllis bulbs which we have had in the past. 

FB_IMG_1621174787433.jpg

Posted by Dave the Lighthouse Keeper
Anonymous
Not applicable

๐Ÿ’ฅMay 16, 2021๐Ÿ’ฅ

I bet they are AWESOME when they bloom @DaveMcK Please keep us in mind for at least 1 picture ๐Ÿ˜‰ Christine finally visted you guys and loves your FRONT PORCH FORUM ๐Ÿ™‚ She is one AWESOME lady!!!

0 Kudos
Silver Conversationalist

Our yards look like a nursery.  Plants everywhere.  You name it - we prob got it!  My wife has the world's greenest thumb.  Anytime any part of a plant gets broken or cut off - she pops it in some potting mix and in no time has another plant.  It helps a lot that we live in SoCal so stuff that dies off or becomes dormant in the rest of the country - just keeps blooming and growing here.   Only hangup is sun; we have too much for too long - so shade is a premium.  

For a long time, we had a great, weird tree/bush called "Harry Lauder's Walking Stick".  It was really bizarre.   We like all plants.

Anonymous
Not applicable

๐Ÿ’ฅMarch 22, 2021๐Ÿ’ฅ

Hi @wilful I am so jealous!!! Awesome that your wife has a green thumb, wish I did/lol. I use to live Florida, but would not trade my Spring where I now live for the year-round humidity there. Thanks for sharing with us ๐Ÿ˜‰

0 Kudos
Silver Conversationalist

We live in the IE.  Not much humidity here.

We once decided we would visit the Florida Keys.  Flew to Miami- then a rental car to explore everything down to Key West.  A 3 or 4 day trip.  It was fun.  One of my brothers in MD heard of our trip and said "Are you crazy - this is JULY; No one visits FL in July!"  

Well, yes - it was quite humid!

Back to plants: We noted that all the flora and fauna at the Keys grow small.  It is due to the extremely limited land area.  The tiny deer were cute!

Kudos
Views
Anonymous
Not applicable

๐Ÿ’ฅMarch 22, 2021๐Ÿ’ฅ

Lol @wilful yes, you were brave to visit Florida in July!!! My only child moved back a few years ago, she never liked Virginia and that is where she was born (Florida). Bug State = she tried her hand with growing herbs from seeds outside this year. Yikes!!! Told her not in Florida/lol. Thank goodness she had also sown some inside on a windowsill.

0 Kudos
Silver Conversationalist

@Anonymous  Go to the forum Healthy Living and scroll down to Gardening Tips.

Anonymous
Not applicable

๐Ÿ’ฅMarch 19, 2021๐Ÿ’ฅ

@LindaB671 @Lol, I am guessing I am not allowed to post this here. Thanks for info!

0 Kudos
Community Manager
Community Manager

You can definitely post this here too @Anonymous! Here's the other thread. Lots of good tips and ideas there as well!

I love indoor plants! I recently got a golden pothos and I am obsessed with her. She's a very healthy and beautiful-looking plant, and I can't wait for her to start vining. My partner got me a monstera ginny for my birthday this year, and she is thriving. I've trained her to vine up the wall and she grows very rapidly - I get a new leaf almost weekly! I also have an Arabica that has been with me for 3-4 years. It's actually about six Arabica trees, but I keep them in a small pot. I might move it into a big pot as the trees can grow to be 3-4 feet tall. Lastly, I have a spider plant that my friend propagated and gave me. I've propagated two additional plants from the mama, and now she's sprouting additional babies that I plan on keeping attached to mom. I potted the babies about a year ago, and I'm hoping they'll start producing babies of their own soon!

I love plants! They make me so happy ๐ŸŒฑ

Oh, I have two orchids as well! I repotted them last year and had to cut away a lot of dead roots from one of them. I think I put them in pots that were too big after cutting off so many roots, as one is showing signs of not enough water. The leaves are quite shriveled and limp. I've now repotted them into smaller pots. One is doing quite well and has a good amount of long, healthy roots. It's sprouted a new leaf. The other one is growing roots, but they are quite short, which is why it's still showing signs of underwatering. I've been misting it almost daily to encourage root growth. I think she'll be okay, but it's going to be a while before she produces flowers again.

Anonymous
Not applicable

๐Ÿ’ฅMarch 19, 2021๐Ÿ’ฅ

Hi @AARPRachelA  will you keeping the babies attached to mom Spider plant keep them as babies? I have a baby from a lady I received on Monday as a donation to the planter I am working on for them (homeless shelter) and not familiar with them. I went ahead and added it to planter with fingers crossed. I went online and read where in the wild, the babies stay attached to mom of course (no human to cut off) and eventually make contact with the soil beneath mom and start to grow. Like with a newborn baby, their attachment to mom I guess dries up and goes away. Fascinating. Yikes, orchids, luv them along with roses, but way too lazy to deal with them.

0 Kudos
Community Manager
Community Manager

@Anonymous, yes, I read that about spider babies too! They can remain attached since they get their nutrients through the stem they are attached to. The more babies there are, the more water and fertilizer the plant will need as they take energy. To water mine, I submerge the pot in the sink for about five mins, and I put the babies in the water too. I think they like that! I use a liquid fertilizer about 1-2 times per month in the spring and summer. I like how wild they look with the plantlets attached. One of the babies has really cool-looking roots growing now too.

That's so lovely that you are making a planter for a homeless shelter! Did the baby spider plant have roots? I propagated mine in water for a few months, which allowed for long roots to grow. Just plopped them in a small glass jar and changed the water out every 5 days or so. What else are you putting in the planter?

Anonymous
Not applicable

๐Ÿ’ฅMarch 19, 2021๐Ÿ’ฅ

Hi @AARPRachelA I have a total of 6 planters I bought at Walmart and so far have 4 filled up. The 2 empties I am keeping for Easter Lilies for Easter and Poinsettas for Christmas = holiday planters only. Lol, this is all new for me, just started 2/15 with placing my first 2 planters in their on-site clinic. The Clinic Manager gave me the baby Spider Plant from home. Yes, baby Spider Plant had roots. In the furure if I get any more baby Spider Plants, I will try the water. I am doing both with Pothos Cuttings to see which works. The 2 planters at shelter at the moment are an Aloe and Bulb Planter. To make my life more organized I made each of the planters a focus plant and then add miscellaneous to it ๐Ÿ˜‰ To answer your question, lol, have no idea. Having fun with checking out the Garden Center each week when I grocery shop at Walmart. I plan on checking out Lowes on Wednesday when I get my social security bank payment. Yay, I get to splurge once a month. I have had some funerals for a few that didnot do well at the shelter = still experimenting to see what works. I stop by every 2 weeks to water and switch out planters as needed. Been misting the ones with me every morning. The Ivy and Pothos planters should be full for my next trip on the 29th.

Silver Conversationalist

No worries! Thereโ€™s just a lot of info already there. ๐Ÿ˜€

cancel
Showing results forย 
Showย ย onlyย  | Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 
Users
Need to Know

NEW: AARP Games Tournament Tuesdays! This week, achieve a top score in Atari Breakoutยฎ and you could win $100! Learn More.

AARP Games Tournament Tuesdays

More From AARP