Content starts here
CLOSE ×

Search

Periodic Contributor

Is AARP Worth It?

Hello, 

I have been a member of AARP for the past ten years. In that time, I have never ONCE had the opportunity to use anything that AARP offers through its "membership benefits" nor have I ever been asked if I were a member of AARP. As my renewal time is coming around, I have been considering whether it is worth it to continue to have the membership; after my recent chat with AARP online, I am even further away from renewing.

From the start of the chat with "Juliette," I asked a simple question - after being a member for ten years and not receiving ANY benefits, why should I renew? "Juliette" was a waste of time, offering a boilerplate website that I could have gone to after logging into my account. She didn't offer any thoughts on the issue, didn't offer to have someone contact me regarding the issue, didn't even TRY to help. When I mentioned that her assistance had been pretty much worthless, she threatened me with "if you use that language again, I will have to end this chat." 

If this is the staff that this company has, then the company is pretty worthless too. 

I'll ask the question one more time, and I certainly hope that someone in a position that can actually DO SOMETHING about the issue (rather than a peon who doesn't give a **bleep** about anything), or someone with a better experience, has an answer...WHY should I renew something that I have never seen a benefit from? 

I look forward to the answers from the Hive Mind. 

Periodic Contributor

0 Kudos
Periodic Contributor

If you would like to offer some constructive feedback, then I'm willing to listen. If you're just here to **bleep** and moan yourself, then you can kindly leave the conversation. 

Bronze Conversationalist

If you are a member of the rewards program, you can purchase discounted gift cards.  I purchase a few each month and can honestly say that one monthโ€™s savings pays for a yearโ€™s membership.  I also have redeemed my โ€˜earnedโ€™ rewards points for gift cards over the years.

Itโ€™s been a while since I tried, but I do recall getting some restaurant discounts over the years.

0 Kudos
Community Concierge

Thanks for taking the time to share, @k380494p. - Diana G.

0 Kudos
Community Concierge

@eb6024 Thank you so much for letting us know about your interaction online. We truly value you as our member and strive to make each experience personalized for everyone. I'm sorry this one did not meet those standards. We will do better.

We work hard to bring valuable discounts, benefits, and resources to our members. I would be glad to help you find any information you were looking for, just reach out and ask. ๐Ÿ™‚  Jodee R. 

0 Kudos
Periodic Contributor

I'd like to speak with someone regarding this issue. How do we have this conversation?

Conversationalist

Have you never used an AARP discount at a hotel or amusement park or any venue? There are benefits outside of this web site. If you haven't gotten any benefit at all then it's up to you if you want to renew or support AARP. 

Karyn
Periodic Contributor

Hello Karyn,

To be honest, I have NEVER utilized an AARP discount because there are so few places that even accept it. If I don't patronize a business that AARP has a relationship with, I'm not going out of my way to frequent that business - one, because I don't have a reason to, and two, because my business shouldn't be based on what someone gives me. It should be based on what the company does. I have asked on several occasions as to an AARP discount, at many places I frequent. Every time the answer has been no.

If you've had a different experience, that's great. But I haven't come across those same companies in my experiences. @AARPConsumerCare could offer their thoughts on this, but as you can see, they are staying FAR away from any answer. 

Trusted Social Butterfly

@eb6024 , in my opinion AARP is now all about games, giftcards = @AARPConsumerCare and @AARPHannah "respond" to issues there and totally "ignore" the Job Forum. Anyway, as one who use to be an AARP Member - I now come here to hang out in their Grief Forum. You DO NOT need to be a member to post on this site. Take care!  ๐Ÿ‘ต and @AARPConsumerCare , I DO NOT need a response, I am chatting to @eb6024 . Thanks!!!

0 Kudos
Periodic Contributor

Hello Spring!

If you don't mind me asking, what was the final straw for you?

Trusted Social Butterfly

@eb6024 , be happy to tell you - pull up a chair/lol ๐Ÿ˜‚๐Ÿคฃ

[1] This is a non-member account I have now. I had the Corporate AARP Office "delete" my old one.

[2] Retired in 2020, tried their "free" stuff program  ๐Ÿ™„๐Ÿ™„๐Ÿ™„.  A joke!!!

[3] Left in 2021.

[3] I am VERY HAPPY with my AAA discounts & how I am treated.  ๐Ÿ‘๐Ÿ‘๐Ÿ‘

Thanks for asking  ๐Ÿ‘ต

cancel
Showing results forย 
Showย ย onlyย  | Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 
Users
Need to Know

NEW: AARP Games Tournament Tuesdays! This week, achieve a top score in Space Adventure Pinball and you could win $100! Learn More.

AARP Games Tournament Tuesdays

More From AARP