Content starts here
CLOSE ×

Search

Re: AARP Dental Insurance from Delta Dental

Re: AARP Dental Insurance from Delta Dental

AARP should not be selling the Dental Dental Plans as Ins, They are NOT Ins. The doctor I saw did not tell me until I was in the chair that I was not covered for a deep cleaning. This is after he took full xrays and after he sent me to endodontist for a root canal, which was not covered nor were the xrays of $400 plus dollars. I must pay for it. The whole thing has left me with a very bad taste in my mouth. Oh, the dentist I saw would not do the cleanings I was intitled under the plan. I am canceling the Ins. Be warned, do not buy this insurance.

Contributor

Iv had AARP Delta dental insurance for many years.  Love it. I recently had a deep cleaning & my Dentist only charged me $40. It's rare to find a dentist that only charged for office visit

You may want to call the insurance company to find out what they cover and what they don't cover. It prevents you from sticker shock. Ask questions!

I'm very happy with my AARP Delta Dental Insurance.

I'm on the more expenses plan. I chose that plan because as I get older I possibly will need more work done. 

Contributor

Hi!  We’ve used Delta Dental for years and it’s been an excellent plan. 

I’ve never had a deep cleaning, so I can’t speak as to whether or not it’s usually covered.  

Delta Dental Insurance vs. DeltaCare (offered by Delta Dental) are two separate beasts. DeltaCare offers minimal dental care. DeltaCare dentists are paid a flat rate per patient whether or not services are performed, which means there is no incentive for the dentists to do anything other than what is absolutely necesssary. Generally the dentists that participate in the DeltaCare network are the ones who have not been able to develop their own following of loyal patients. If you live in an area with many good dentists, chances are you will need to travel far to find a dentist willing to participate in the DeltaCare network.

0 Kudos

Possibly you need to do more research; as the dentists are not paid a flat fee per patient. This is an HMO and I have used an HMO plan for many Years with Delta Dental, and have got nothing but the best services.

0 Kudos
Contributor

I've been using AARP Delta Dental for a few years now. No it's not a scam!! I'm fortunate to have a Dentist that only charged me $40 for 4 fillings!! I also had my free teeth cleaning. I've been very happy with my AARP Delta Dental plan. That part I end up paying was not that much. Very happy. 

Thank You for your review on your Delta Plan. I just purchased it yesterday and got very upset when I saw the heading about it being a scam.  I need thousands of dollars worth of work done and I'm relying on this insurance to save me money.  

Contributor

Thank you for your review.. its quite helpfull

0 Kudos

ABSOLUTELY AGREE. AARP/Delta has been an unmitigated disaster for me. First they wouldn't cover a new cap which they qualified as 'major' work. If you are experiencing pain and have to have work done you have to wait ONE YEAR before a cap is covered so you better buy stock in Orajel.

Then I tried to CANCEL and I notified them FOUR TIMES in writting and they wouldn't cancel. I called them TWICE and was handed off to FOUR different attendents who put me on hold as soon as I said the word 'cancel'. The second time it happened I was on the phone for OVER AN HOUR while I drove to the bank sat down with bank official and put a permanent BLOCK on all future Delta pay requests. I still haven't been able to get them to cancel but they will NEVER get another dime from me. I may get dental insurance again in the futre but I will NEVER go through AARP/Delta EVER again.

0 Kudos

I FEEL THE SAME WAY AS THE LAST COMMENT...I WENT TO ALGADONAS MEXICO, AND I GOT $120,000.00WORTH OF DENTAL IMPLANTS AND VANEERS FOR 6,500.00 AND WELL WORTH IT...HAD A LOT OF FUN THERE AND TOOK A WEEK BUT STAYED 2 FOR FUN. JUST A LITTLE MEXICAN TOWN NOTHING REALLY TO SEE. (NOT CANCUN OR ANYTHING LIKE THAT BUT IT WAS GREAT...FIRST TIME IN 2004 FOR TWO BRIDGES 400.00.. THEN THE IMPLANTS AND VANEERS IN 2015.WE RALLY LIKE IT THERE AND THEY ARE VERY BEAUTIGUL OFFICES AND NOTHING WEIRD GOIN ON AT ALL..TOTTALY PROFF. AND HAPPY TO PLEASE...I DRANK MY MARGARITA AND HAD MY YORKIE ON MY LAP.... CHECK INTO IT....YOU'LL BE SURPRISED.

THEY ARE ON THE BORDER OF YUMA AR. AND YOU STAY AT THE HOTEL AND DRIVE THE PARK IN THE LOT. AND GO ON IN. ON FOOT IS BEST. VERY CONJESTED FOR CARS..HAVE YOUR PASSPORT AND DRIVERS LICENSE...AND BIRTH CERTIFICATE JUST IN CASE...REALLY VERY SIMPL. I HAVE AN EMERGENCY RIGHT NOW THO. AND MAJOR SURGERY TO MORROW AND HUSBAND IN THE VA HOSP. REALLY SICK. SO I CAN'T GO.ROSEMARY 

Contributor

What’s the info to the dentist [Personal email address removed from public view for your online safety. Please use the Personal Messaging system on the community]

0 Kudos
Contributor

My wife has DeltaCare via her Kaiser Northern California Senior Advantage plan - it's $20 per month and covers dental, hearing, extra vision & health club (fitness) benefits. Recently she had a tooth extracted & deep cleaning on 2 quadrants where the tooth was extracted (upper and lower). The procedures were:

D7210 Extraction $134.00

D4341 Perio         $125.00 x 2

=======================

Total $384.00 (total w/annual $60 [$240/4) = $444.00)

I recently signed up for DeltaCare (no wait period, fixed annual premium cost) via Costco for $90 per annum and compared my costs for the same and found that my coverage was 33% cheaper:

D7210 Extraction $80.00

D4341 Perio         $88.00 x 2

=======================

Total $256.00 (total w/annual $90.00 premium = $346)

I then checked AARP DeltaCare:

D7210 Extraction $55.00

D4341 Perio         $60.00 x 2

=======================

Total $175.00 (total w/annual $346.08 [$28.84 per month]  = $521.08)

Exact same procedures, same DeltaCare provider, quite different procedure costs depending on which group coverage you elect to use. I suspect that the AARP DeltaCare may be cost beneficial if you have many different procedures in the same year, but if you only were to have the above procedures done in the year it is not. 

As an added note: Individual DeltaCare directly from Delta Dental (my area NorCal) is $92.54 per annum  - so it might be wise to shop around depending upon your needs. 

YAAAAA I AM MOVING ON TO KAISER NEXT SIGN UP...

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Users
Need to Know

NEW: AARP Games Tournament Tuesdays! This week, achieve a top score in Atari Breakout® and you could win $100! Learn More.

AARP Games Tournament Tuesdays

More From AARP