Content starts here
CLOSE ×
Search
Regular Contributor

Nothing but Medicare Advantage Plan Horror Stories?

Hi All,

My wife and I have had the AARP UHC Medicare Advantage Plan (MAP) for about 4 years now. We have been relatively happy with the service and coverage. The dental plan has caused a few problems which we have overcome. I had some minor surgery that was initially denied. But the reason for the denial suggested some miscommunication. The doctor's office resubmitted the claim and I never heard anymore about it.

But most (if not all) I hear about MAPs is horror stories about poor service and denied claims.

Are there no good experiences, are there no successes, are there no benefits, are there no good reasons to choose a MAP? Is it all that bad?

Just asking. 

I I have been with AARP for over 15 years.  Yet, upon turning 65, I passed on the AARP endorsed plan with United Healthcare and went with Humana. My wife has been partially disabled, and the plan has been great for her getting early medicare due to her health condition.  Now that I turned 65, I was reviewing my options.  doing it on my own with a supplemental medicare plan, was going to cost me a fortune.  I went with a Medicare advantage plan through a different health care senior center but still with Humana and the experience has been good. My out-of-pocket costs are quite small in both, with the plan and with my doctors' visits.  My wife has had her share of procedures and operations and although sometimes there has been a little miscommunication, everything has worked fine at the end and all her surgeries and procedures have been covered by Humana plus with just a relatively small copay from our part. 

Regular Contributor

Thanks, @cediazf for that encouraging reply. By the way, I said in my post that I was "relatively" happy with our AARP UHC MAP. When my wife heard that, she said, "What do you mean? I have been very happy with the AARP UHC plan." So, I stand corrected. If she's very happy, then I'm very happy.

You've gotten me interested in the Humana plans. I'll have to take a peek at them.

I hope to hear more success stories.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Users
Need to Know

"I downloaded AARP Perks to assist in staying connected and never missing out on a discount!" -LeeshaD341679

AARP Perks

More From AARP