Content starts here
CLOSE ×
Search

I am a newbie on this forum and I dont believe my mother is eligible for Medicare

Periodic Contributor

I am a newbie on this forum and I dont believe my mother is eligible for Medicare

My mother has never worked outside of the home, and as far as I have been able to gather from spending 20 minutes searching through this forum, Medicare is only based on your career, which career you had. My mother has not worked outside the home. Please someone advise me on whether I am right. 

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
Honored Social Butterfly

When searching online, these are my surface findings:

'If you are a U.S. citizen age 65 or older, you can get Medicare regardless of your work history — but your costs could vary. If you've paid Medicare taxes for at least 10 years, you can enroll in Medicare Part A, and won't pay a monthly premium.' (I'm guessing, if no pay tax-wise, there'd be a monthly premium for coverage?)

'Does my wife get Medicare if she never worked?
Yes, in most cases your spouse is eligible for Medicare at age 65, even if he or she never worked. Your spouse might have to pay a monthly premium for Medicare Part A if you or your spouse hasn't worked long enough to qualify for premium-free Part A.'

Key: Eligible at 65 years of age & likely a monthly premium for Medicare coverage.

View solution in original post

Honored Social Butterfly

When searching online, these are my surface findings:

'If you are a U.S. citizen age 65 or older, you can get Medicare regardless of your work history — but your costs could vary. If you've paid Medicare taxes for at least 10 years, you can enroll in Medicare Part A, and won't pay a monthly premium.' (I'm guessing, if no pay tax-wise, there'd be a monthly premium for coverage?)

'Does my wife get Medicare if she never worked?
Yes, in most cases your spouse is eligible for Medicare at age 65, even if he or she never worked. Your spouse might have to pay a monthly premium for Medicare Part A if you or your spouse hasn't worked long enough to qualify for premium-free Part A.'

Key: Eligible at 65 years of age & likely a monthly premium for Medicare coverage.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Users
Need to Know

AARP Limited Time Offer: Memorial Day Sale! Join or renew for just $9 per year when you sign up for a 5-year term and get a FREE gift.

AARP Memorial Day Membership Sale

More From AARP