Content starts here
CLOSE ×

Search

Periodic Contributor

Dental suppliment

I have AARP/ United Healthcare Plan G. I am considering adding a dental plan. Is there such a plan in Medicare if so what is a good one and what are the premiums?

Periodic Contributor

I found one through Delta Dental that also has some VSP vision coverage. It costs $90/month for my husband and I, but since weโ€™ve needed expensive dental work in the past, I figured it was worth it. There were cheaper policies but they only covered routine services or had a limited network of providers. 

0 Kudos

I just looked at the AARP Dental Plan offered through Delta Dental and it looks awful. You pay a monthly fee, a deductible, and for many procedures a co-pay.

The PPO-A plan (the highest coverage) costs a total of $905/yr assuming you only use routine services (cleaning and dental exam 2x year and "check" X-Rays 1x year). It is important to note that there is a cap of $1,500 on coverage. My dentist charges $583/yr for these services (which includes a 5% cash discount.) So in a sense I would be paying $322/yr for $1,500 of insurance. That seems awful to me. The PPO-B plan costs less but includes higher co-pays and a $1,000/yr cap. I don't see how this insurance is a good deal. I am surprised its sponsored by AARP. 

cancel
Showing results forย 
Showย ย onlyย  | Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 
Users
Need to Know

NEW: AARP Games Tournament Tuesdays! This week, achieve a top score in Block Champ and you could win $100! Learn More.

AARP Games Tournament Tuesdays

More From AARP