Recognized Social Butterfly

STRANGE AND STRANGER

Strange and Stranger

During the past week on my walks around the block, I have seen a grab bag of humanity.

Amazingly to me, a man in wheelchair adroitly used two crutches to maneuver across the street and then press on to his destination. What a feat! At first I was impressed by his perseverance. But after I continued in the opposite direction, I felt drawn to this man who at least in this instance sparred with and outwitted his disability.

Another man was not so successful. During all four of my lengthy laps, I saw him in his parked car painstakingly trying to adjust the rear-view mirror. I wondered if he had continuously fidgeted with the mirror while I was walking or if he had taken a break in between. Was he a frustrated perfectionist, or was he tinkering with the mirror because he was bored? In either case, he was having a hard time. Perhaps he was revisiting Groundhog Day. In fact, he looked a bit like Bill Murray.

Yesterday I witnessed a much more unnerving scene. A small raggedy man was shouting obscenities (mostly the F-bomb) at a group of people waiting for a bus across the street. One of the prospective passengers, tall and muscled, was so outraged that he started to chase the foul-mouthed runt. Ironically, at the same time, he was swearing at him, spewing out the same F-bombs (with a bit of ribald embroidery) that the other man was so obsessed with. Soon both men rounded the corner and out of my sight. I wish I could have watched the last act of the spectacle (from a discrete distance), but I continued to hustle on my path home. 

I usually see a few odd people during my daily walk in Waikiki, but last week was exceptionally surreal.

schlomo
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Users
Announcements

"I downloaded AARP Perks to assist in staying connected and never missing out on a discount!" -LeeshaD341679

AARP Perks

Test Your Knowledge, Score Big. New Game Each Day!

AARP's new Right Again! Trivia game - part trivia, part puzzle, all fun! Special opportunities for AARP Members and Rewards participants. Play Now.

AARP Right Again! Trivia

AARP Rewards

Sync your smartphone or favorite tracker with AARP Rewards to earn points for hitting steps, swimming and cycling milestones Sync Now.

AARP Rewards Badge

Music and Brain Health

From soft jazz to hard rock - discover music's mental, social and physical benefits. Learn more.

Music and Brain Health