Content starts here
CLOSE ×

Search

REFLECTIONS ON MY MOST RECENT WALKS

Recognized Social Butterfly

REFLECTIONS ON MY MOST RECENT WALKS

Reflections on my Most Recent Walks

It is normal to feel sorry for people with disabilities. Last week I saw a young woman hobbling about on crutches. Half of her right leg was amputated. I was taken aback: What a pity! Yesterday, an elderly woman coming towards me was so stooped over that as she tried to move, her head almost touched the pavement. I was stunned: How disheartening!

Sometimes I feel sorry for myself because I have an array of physical problems: an aggressive and rare blood cancer, non-functioning adrenal glands, periodic angina, and pervasive arthritis. But all of these conditions are treatable.

Losing a limb and massive bone loss are not reversible. Seeing other people struggling with their deformities makes me grateful that I am still in relatively good health, thanks to precisely targeted medication, daily half-hour walks, and a positive attitude nourished by and sustained with the help of my upbeat wife who has banished negativity from our household.

While bleak used to be my default adjective, I now focus on how blessed I am. I will be 80 years old next November. I embrace that day. When I was a teenager, I was fascinated by the TV show Life Begins at 80.  Each week portrayed vibrant, articulate octogenarians with an abiding zest for life. If I could time travel, Iโ€™d love to be on that panel and tell my own story in which the cup is more than half full; it is brimming with life-enhancing moments and encounters.

schlomo
0 Kudos
Super Contributor

But then, I wish I could convince my Teutonic, hard-working spouse that 85-yr-old women are usually in better shape than the same age men. She gets a little short with me when I can't keep up with house maintenance and lawn & garden chores as well as she does. And I don't think she believes me when I remind her that by mid-80's the majority of men are either totally disabled or gone entirely !

Honored Social Butterfly

Yeah, I wouldn't worry too much about complete strangers. Take care of yourself. 

cancel
Showing results forย 
Showย ย onlyย  | Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 
Users
Need to Know

NEW: AARP Games Tournament Tuesdays! This week, achieve a top score in Atari Centipedeยฎ and you could win $100! Learn More.

AARP Games Tournament Tuesdays

More From AARP