Recognized Social Butterfly

ONLY IN HAWAII

Only in Hawaii

As I picked up a package from a friend in Kaimuki, he cautioned me to drive home safely. I thought at the time that it was a strange admonition, considering that Waikiki was only a few miles away and the initial road that I usually traveled (Harding Street) to the main thoroughfare was rarely congested or undergoing construction.

The minute that I left his driveway, I noticed the name of a typically narrow intersecting street, Kaimuki. Ha ah! I knew that the same street began in Waikiki not far from my home. So why not take it—it could even be a shortcut.

At first, I had no trouble. But soon I encountered a truck that stopped in front of me on an incline. I was hesitant to pass him because I had limited visibility. The trucker, seeing how cautious I was, waved me to get around him. Trusting his judgment, I safely maneuvered by him. There was no traffic nearby.

In the distance, I saw that Kaimuki Street became a huge hill with a row of parked cars bunched up on the left side of the road. Even though I knew that there was very little room for vehicles to safely pass by each other, I continued.

After a while, the hill became so steep that if another car lurched over the hill toward me, we could collide. There was no room to turn around, so I had no choice but to cautiously keep going. As I reached the pinnacle, no cars were approaching mine, so I sped down the hill, only to find out that I had reached a dead end. Kaimuki Ave. from Kaimuki did not lead into Kaimuki Ave. in Waikiki. With a few twists and turns, I finally ended up on Harding Road, where I would have been originally if I didn’t try to find a shortcut.

After a while, as I drove by Kaimuki Ave. in Waikiki, I vowed never to assume that roads in Hawaii are contiguous from one location to another.

How fortuitous it was that my friend told me to drive carefully. I will trust his judgement from now on.

At that point, I recalled a harrowing moment fifteen years ago while I was driving on the hair-pinned (and hare-brained) allegedly two-lane northern mountain pass in Maui. The road could barely accommodate two mini-compacts, let alone the medium-sized sedan I had rented.

Whenever I saw another car approach (sometimes at the last minute), I sidled up as close to the embankment as I could in order to make way for that vehicle. I maneuvered accordingly until at the top of the mountain, an oversized Mac truck rounded the bend. I could see that even if I inched to the far side of my lane, the truck wouldn’t be able to get through. To break this impasse, I had to drive a bit down the mountain side until I could slither into a wider niche. Hyperventilating all the way, I luckily found a haven without bumping into any vehicles coming up behind me.

After the truck barely got by me, I found enough courage to accelerate over the mountain top unscathed but still shaky. My wife, who was in the passenger seat throughout this adventure, was composed throughout my ordeal. I guess that a credit to my ability to surmount a crisis. Of course, knowing my wife, she might have dozed off during my struggles to stay on the road without catapulting over a cliff.

I love Hawaii, but it does traffic in quirks.

schlomo
0 Kudos
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Users
Announcements

"I downloaded AARP Perks to assist in staying connected and never missing out on a discount!" -LeeshaD341679

AARP Perks

Test Your Knowledge, Score Big. New Game Each Day!

AARP's new Right Again! Trivia game - part trivia, part puzzle, all fun! Special opportunities for AARP Members and Rewards participants. Play Now.

AARP Right Again! Trivia

AARP Rewards

Sync your smartphone or favorite tracker with AARP Rewards to earn points for hitting steps, swimming and cycling milestones Sync Now.

AARP Rewards Badge

Music and Brain Health

From soft jazz to hard rock - discover music's mental, social and physical benefits. Learn more.

Music and Brain Health