When it comes to your workout, there are good reasons not to go it alone. Check out the benefits of exercise buddies.

Community Manager
Kudos
Views

Re: Join Lesley Jane Seymour, former Editor-in-Chief of More magazine to talk about reinventing your

Message 1 of 14

Many thanks to everyone for your participation in this event, and to Lesley (@LesleyS506716) for being our featured guest! Terrific questions, answers and insights shared here. This concludes our session with Lesley. Look for more upcoming opportunities to chat with AARP Age Disruptors in the Online Community this year!

(This event is closed but still available for viewing. Thank you.)

Report Inappropriate Content
Kudos
Views
Age Disruptor
Kudos
Views

Re: Join Lesley Jane Seymour, former Editor-in-Chief of More magazine to talk about reinventing your

Message 2 of 14

You never really stop parenting. But it becomes in a different way. Enjoy

Kudos
Views
Age Disruptor
Kudos
Views

Message 3 of 14

wonderful to have that kind of relationship. i have that too

Kudos
Views
Age Disruptor
Kudos
Views

Message 4 of 14

Hi @patriciai764572: I'm all about reinvention. You can check out my "Reinvent Yourself" podcast in which I interview dozens of women who have done it from all directions. It has helped a lot of women get inspired to take the plunge. Mostly it's a state of mind. You have to know there is more for you. You can also find tons of Second act stories on CoveyClub.com.  I know you'll find steps and inspiration there too.

Kudos
Views
Info Seeker
Kudos
Views

Message 5 of 14

Hello Lesley,

Can you give some advice about reinventing yourself.  I am about 5 years away from retirement and really love working.  My last daughter will be off to college in the fall.  In 4 years I would love to work only part time.  I am in the corporate accounting field and would love to hear your thoughts on changing careers after retirement.

Thanks

Pat

Kudos
Views
Age Disruptor
Kudos
Views

Join Lesley Jane Seymour, former Editor-in-Chief of More magazine to talk about reinventing yourself

Message 6 of 14

@4boysmother I agree: you are never ever done. Parenting is a life long job. It just changes and morphs. I still worry as much as ever but I have to "suggest" and "offer" instead of instruct like I used to. I want them to come back and be open with me and tell me everything. So I had to change my approach and so far it's working. Except for the times my daughter tells me I'm so "annoying."

Kudos
Views
Age Disruptor
Kudos
Views

Join Lesley Jane Seymour, former Editor-in-Chief of More magazine to talk about reinventing yourself

Message 7 of 14

@DdM142808, as your kids get into their twenties, you have to change the conversation. I make sure to answer every question with "In my opinion..."  I don't want to be the autocratic parent anymore because we now need to move into the role of coach or wise friend. I also like to travel with the kids separately. Lake and I spent a week in Florida together and it really put us on new footing: it was there that she told me I was her best friend. I wasn't trying for that status, but was delighted to find it.  The roles really need to grow and change so that you have a good relationship. It is really hard to look at them and not see the pudgy toddler who you want to protect from everything. But that is not the role for us any longer. Think "coach" and "friend".

Kudos
Views
Age Disruptor
Kudos
Views

Message 8 of 14

Hi @KathrynS845944: I don't have all the answers. But since the kids now both work, we simply ask well ahead of time if they will be joining us for various holidays. They can plan ahead that way --and one incentive for the financially strapped new workers is that we do pay their way if they travel with us. We will get a big air b & b and invite the friends or mates along. That is always an incentive.  I've also found making their favorite foods is a draw (hey--ya gotta use what you can, right?).  My daughter and I talk many times a day but my son can sometimes let it go for two weeks. So I call him and leave funny messages and text silly GIFs till I get a response. Sometimes we ask: hey, if you're not dead, please send a text. 

Kudos
Views
Age Disruptor
Kudos
Views

Message 9 of 14

Hi @Messy55: I thought I had it bad with 28 hours of labor for my son. 44 sure takes the cake. Thanks for the comment. 

Kudos
Views
Info Seeker
Kudos
Views

Message 10 of 14

Hi Lesley, 

Loved your story today. 28 years ago, after 44 hours of labor and  a C-section my darling of a daughter arrived  at 9 lbs and 4 ounces. I too wondered about what I was going to do and said that I'd play it by ear. With my mom gone I had my coworkers and my mother-in law to lean on. I asked them questions but then held on to the best advice, 'you really can't plan your life around a baby before it happens. You have to see him or her and take it from there.' My daughter and I were one, very little phased us and we always went with the flow. No fuss,no rush, just us.  We are still that way.  

Kudos
Views