Content starts here
CLOSE ×

Search

It's National Fruitcake Day! (Dec 27)

Honored Social Butterfly

It's National Fruitcake Day! (Dec 27)

Got leftover fruitcake? The beauty of this bread of fruit-nutty (hold the nuts) loaf is known for its shelf life of many, many moons (depending on how it's stored), and it can be re-gifted for next Christmas!

[Not a fan of fruitcake? And, yah wanna toss that bread? Next month, on January 3rd, it's 'National Fruitcake Toss Day' (aka your lucky day!) [source: National Day Calendar/YouTube]. Or, you can use them as 'bricks,' like Pee-wee Herman! *wink* [source: YouTube]. Or! You could just keep them somewhere for sentimental reasons. The non-fruitcake lover options are endless!]

National Fruitcake Day

Made with chopped candied or dried fruit, nuts, and spices and sometimes soaked in spirits, fruitcake has been a holiday gift-giving tradition for many years.

Across the United States, fruitcake lovers young and old, commemorate National Fruitcake Day each year on December 27th. [source: National Day Calendar]

Fruitcake [source: WIKI]

Why Does Fruitcake Last So Long? [source: Scientific American/SCIAM]

A Brief History of Fruitcake [source: Mental Floss]

The Misunderstood Fruitcake Has A Magnificent Shelf Life — And History [source: PBS.org]

The Infamous Fruitcake Joke (Johnny Carson) [source: © Collin Street Bakery]

FRUIT CAKE - How to make FRUITCAKE (Recipe) [source: YouTube]

Tom Cruise, Jay Leno Make Fruitcake, 2003 TV w/91-Year-Old Aunt of Truman Capote 

[source: YouTube]

Retro Spectrum: Does Anyone Like Fruitcake? [YouTube Short]

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Well, I hope you've enjoyed this fruitcake fun-time overload. It turns out that fruitcakes can be fun, and delicious!

Let's...
'Look at the world as a big fruitcake. It wouldn't be complete without a few nuts in it.'

Signed,
The Ubiquitous Fruitcake. *chef's kiss*

2 ACCEPTED SOLUTIONS
Conversationalist

I didn't know there was this much to fruitcake lore/culture. I especially liked the building of an extra wing of the Playhouse option. 🏘  Great job curating fruitcake! 

[̲̅$̲̅(̲̅5̲̅)̲̅$̲̅] (☉౪ ⊙)

View solution in original post

Trusted Social Butterfly

Figi's use to have a nice fruitcake with spirits in it and it was very tasty. Then they stopped their food part of their business so I went to Gramma's Fruitcake which is equally good..My husband and I use to enjoy it every Christmas..The ones that I like don't have citron (hard fruit)...

View solution in original post

Trusted Social Butterfly

I like Fruitcake with a little Butter (or Oleo) on it.

Trusted Social Butterfly

Figi's use to have a nice fruitcake with spirits in it and it was very tasty. Then they stopped their food part of their business so I went to Gramma's Fruitcake which is equally good..My husband and I use to enjoy it every Christmas..The ones that I like don't have citron (hard fruit)...

Conversationalist

I didn't know there was this much to fruitcake lore/culture. I especially liked the building of an extra wing of the Playhouse option. 🏘  Great job curating fruitcake! 

[̲̅$̲̅(̲̅5̲̅)̲̅$̲̅] (☉౪ ⊙)
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Users
Need to Know

NEW: AARP Games Tournament Tuesdays! This week, achieve a top score in Block Champ and you could win $100! Learn More.

AARP Games Tournament Tuesdays

More From AARP