Content starts here
CLOSE ×

Search

Trusted Contributor

I'm glad I like myself

I'm not perfect and of course there is room for improvement, however, I like myself. This is different from loving myself, cause I do love myself.

Me liking myself was confirmed recently when I was told you have a pretty face but I’m heartbroken because your body type is thick and not thin (paraphrased).

Now, I’ve never been told this before.  However, I have always had hips, butt, big legs etc. and I'm well aware of my thickness.  My roots are in New Orleans so I inherited all this. As an adult, I have been as small as a size two.  I didn't like that look - I looked sick.

To my surprise, I wasn’t upset with this person, in fact, I found myself smiling because I discovered that these words didn’t hurt me and I was okay with them saying this. I am confident in who I am.  In fact I appreciated their honesty. People have different taste, and for those who don’t like something, there will be just as many who do. I didn’t feel sorry for myself or anything like that. What came to mind was...I'm glad I like myself.

I do believe it is important to trim down as you age for improved health.  I’ve been working on this and up until COVID 19, I was walking at least twice a day and making headway.  Eating right - etc. etc.  Along came COVID 19 and I had a setback. Sitting more while working from home, eating later in the day,  I got off track.  I’m back now and back to exercising. 

Sharing all this to say…don’t feel bad if you are pushing 70 and have a few extra pounds. At the same time, do what you can to be as healthy as you can.  The good thing is AARP offers a vase number of resources to help us do just that. 

Now, go to the mirror and whatever your body type, smile and give yourself a big hug. 

Happy Father’s Day to all you wonderful Fathers!!

Social Butterfly

Its a nice feeling to be liked by others but yes it's more satisfying when you like yourself 

0 Kudos
Regular Contributor

I have liked myself and not liked myself take it from me liking yourself is better. 

Trusted Contributor

Thank you Ms. Lynne - you are certainly right on that. 

Social Butterfly

Thank You Ms. ToniS. And yes the best days are yet to come no matter how we look. What matters most is how we feel 🙂

0 Kudos
Social Butterfly

You look Great @ToniS570313 . I truly believe none of us are perfect. I could stand to lose a few pounds but I'm happy as I am. Having struggled with alcohol abuse in my younger days I love the person I've grown into. Happiness is within and if you can radiate that happiness in your daily life, it makes life even better. So I like myself, I love myself regardless how people see me. And Ms @ToniS570313 there's nothing wrong with being thick. Thick is Beautiful 🙂🌹🌹

Kudos
Views
Trusted Contributor

Thank you Mr. Oscar.  Congrats on overcoming your alcohol abuse.  Let's keep living our best life!

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Users
Need to Know

NEW: AARP Games Tournament Tuesdays! This week, achieve a top score in Block Champ and you could win $100! Learn More.

AARP Games Tournament Tuesdays

More From AARP