Content starts here
CLOSE ×

Search

๐Ÿ“š Do YOU Have Any FAVORITE Books? What FORMAT?

Anonymous
Not applicable

๐Ÿ“š Do YOU Have Any FAVORITE Books? What FORMAT?

โ–ถ๏ธTo reply, click on reply button at bottom of this post. Enter your text. Click reply button again.โ—€๏ธ

***READ the comments and/or ADD a comment***

WE would luv to hear from YOU! ๐Ÿฅณ๐Ÿ’ƒ

Thanks, Nicole ๐Ÿ›ถ (Leisure & Lifestyle Forum)

Esteemed Social Butterfly

๐Ÿ“š  (5/11/24) Discover the Top Edgarยฎ Award-Winning Mysteries of 2024 (PBS Email)

Working on your summer mystery reading list? Explore winning authors and titles from this yearโ€™s prestigious Edgar Allan Poe Awardsโ€”considered the Oscars of mystery writing. In categories from Best Novel to Best Short Story, the Edgarsยฎ have been presented since 1946, going to authors the likes of Truman Capote, Stephen King, and Elly Griffiths. Anthony Horowitzโ€™s Magpie Murders script for MASTERPIECE Mystery! on PBS won Best Television Episode Teleplay in 2023.

https://www.pbs.org/wgbh/masterpiece/specialfeatures/discover-the-top-edgar-award-winning-mysteries-...

0 Kudos

๐Ÿ“š  BOOK MARKS!!!

Anyone else use them?

Checkout this one Ann @AnnB53123 posted!!!

Thanks,

Nicole  ๐Ÿ‘ต

[*** ANN @AnnB53123 wrote:

Hi ๐Ÿ™‚ @SpringIsHereSoHappy ,

I'm pretty sure he found it at Barnes and Noble. ๐Ÿ“ธ Ann attached a picture  ๐Ÿ“ธ

1704155172404.jpg

0 Kudos

โ€Œโ€Œโ€Œโ€Œโ€Œโ€Œโ€Œโ€Œ๐Ÿ“šโ€Œโ€Œโ€Œโ€Œโ€Œโ€Œโ€Œโ€Œ  Stop by when YOU can!!!

[1] Tell us about the books YOU are reading or have read.

[2] We do have a Member who runs an Online Book Club. Checkout her post.

[3] Start or join OUR BOOK DISCUSSIONS.

Thanks,

Nicole  โ€Œโ€Œโ€Œโ€Œโ€Œโ€Œโ€Œโ€Œ๐Ÿ‘ตโ€Œโ€Œโ€Œโ€Œโ€Œโ€Œโ€Œโ€Œ

0 Kudos
Regular Social Butterfly

I've recently discovered crime novelist, comedian, podcaster Mark Billingham.

His "The Last Dance" was one of the best I've read. It's weird because he is so diverse it's hard to pin him down as author. Good news is there's a 2nd Declan novel (supposedly): "The Wrong Hands"

I've used ebooks even before COVID (I smoke and don't want to ruin books with that). I think post-covid, elderly and susceptible should be considered, yes?

So, there are my choices/recommendations...

#VegasStrong
Phil Harris, actor and showman, to John Fogerty of CCR: โ€œIf Iโ€™d known Iโ€™d live this long, Iโ€™d have taken better care of myself.โ€

(5/9/24) ok @WebWiseWoman !!!  ๐Ÿ‘

Nicole ๐Ÿ‘ต

[*** @WebWiseWoman wrote:

I've recently discovered crime novelist, comedian, podcaster Mark Billingham.

His "The Last Dance" was one of the best I've read. It's weird because he is so diverse it's hard to pin him down as author. Good news is there's a 2nd Declan novel (supposedly): "The Wrong Hands"

I've used ebooks even before COVID (I smoke and don't want to ruin books with that). I think post-covid, elderly and susceptible should be considered, yes?

So, there are my choices/recommendations... ***]

0 Kudos
Silver Conversationalist

Stephen White is a clinical psychologist/author who lives in Boulder Colorado.  He has written a series of 20 books with a recurring main character named Dr Alan Gregory.  Dr Gregory is a fictional Clinical Psychologist who lives and practices in Boulder, Colorado.  These books are psychological thrillers.   In the books - Dr Gregory's wife has MS.  In real life - Stephen White has MS.

He is my favorite author. 

0 Kudos

๐Ÿ“š  (5/9/24) I APPRECIATE you stopping by @wilful !!!

Nicole  ๐Ÿ‘ต

[*** @wilful wrote:

Stephen White is a clinical psychologist/author who lives in Boulder Colorado.  He has written a series of 20 books with a recurring main character named Dr Alan Gregory.  Dr Gregory is a fictional Clinical Psychologist who lives and practices in Boulder, Colorado.  These books are psychological thrillers.   In the books - Dr Gregory's wife has MS.  In real life - Stephen White has MS.

He is my favorite author. ***]

0 Kudos

๐Ÿ“š 9 Books Featuring Mother-Daughter Relationships (AARP Article)

ANY COMMENTS?  ๐Ÿค”  LOL, OH YES - THOSE MA & DAUGHTER STUFF. I NEED TO CHECK THESE OUT!  ๐Ÿ‘ต

These novels and essay collections explore the complex bonds between women and their moms.

By Caroline Leavitt and Christina Ianzito, AARP. Published May 01, 2024.

Was there ever a more extraordinary and complex relationship than that between mothers and daughters? Arriving just in time for Motherโ€™s Day, a new book explores that unique bond, which can be beautiful, toxic and everything in between: The Book of Mothers: How Literature Can Help Us Reinvent Modern Motherhood by Carrie Mullins (May 7). Mullins, a journalist and parent of two young sons, looks at mothers in classic novels, including Pride and Prejudice, Little Women, Beloved and Heartburn, and how readersโ€™ understanding of these women has been shaped by our evolving culture. Take Marmee from Little Women. Viewed as โ€œsweet, sexless, pious and adept with a needle and thread,โ€ Mullins writes, yet also โ€” people forget โ€” mad as hell. โ€œI am angry nearly every day of my life,โ€ Mrs. March says to daughter Jo.

https://www.aarp.org/entertainment/books/info-2024/books-about-mother-daughter-relationships.html

0 Kudos

(4/30/24) I just started this Audiobook - A Very Lively Murder by Katy Watson.

๐Ÿ“ธ  Info Attached  ๐Ÿ“ธ

20240430_004029.jpg

Kudos
Views
0 Kudos

4 comments  ๐Ÿ“š  (4/28/24)

Anyone a member of a BOOK CLUB? Online or In Person? I have NEVER been but since retiring it is a possibilty.

Nicole  ๐Ÿ‘ต

Kudos
Views
Regular Contributor

Yes.  I run two online bookclubs, The Cozy Chair Bookclub and The Cozy Chair Classics Bookclub.  We discuss online (not zoom).

1 comment  ๐Ÿ“š  (4/29/24)

Lol @AnnB53123 , glad to hear that - I so DO NOT like Zoom = shy  ๐Ÿ™„

Can anyone join?  ๐Ÿค”

Thanks,

Nicole  ๐Ÿ‘ต

Regular Contributor

Yes, anyone can join ๐Ÿ˜Š.  I run the clubs on the 'Bookclubs.com' website. 

Trusted Social Butterfly

@SpringIsHereSoHappy   We had a great one for many years here on AARP which I think I mentioned to you before.   Alas, it sems impossibleto start another one although you are working hard at it๐Ÿ˜‰.   I have so little time for reading or watching shows right now and do not seem to be contributing much to your efforts.  

Trusted Contributor

here's a good reading, my grandmother's favorite novel - - - - 

Thomas Mann's "Magic Mountain"

My grandmother was German and read it in the original German, but the English version is very good also...

Trusted Social Butterfly

@JohnW150496   Thanks you for this great suggestion.  This sounds like a must read for me.  It resonates on many levels, partially due to German great uncle spending time in sanatorium for miner's lung (not Switzerland ๐Ÿ˜Š though).  

๐Ÿ“š  (4/22/24) I just started this Audiobook. Stranger in the Village by Kate Wells.

20240422_235635.jpg

0 Kudos

๐Ÿ“š  (1 comment) Books allow us to escape for awhile!!!

Trusted Social Butterfly

@SpringIsHereSoHappy   Wish I had an update for you, still reading the Traitor's Wife๐Ÿ˜ฃ

1 comment (4/14/24)  ๐Ÿ“š  Who is your FAVORITE author or authors and WHY?

Agatha Christie for me. Always luved mystery and I NEVER get bored with Ms. Marple and Poirot. Wish she had written more...  ๐Ÿ‘ต

Regular Contributor

Two that come to mind - John Cheever  & Gabriel Garcia Marquez 

1 comment  ๐Ÿ“š  (4/14/24)

@AnnB53123 , I appreciate you stopping by!!! What GENRE do you like? I like "Cozy Mysteries"

Nicole ๐Ÿ‘ต

0 Kudos
Regular Contributor

I'm reading The Frozen River by Ariel Lawhon and Anna Karenina by Leo Tolstoy.

(4/14/24)  ๐Ÿ“š  I just started this book:

The Lady Marjorie Snellthorpe Mystery Collection Books 1-3, Part 1, By Dawn Brookes.

20240414_064436.jpg

(4/10/24)  ๐Ÿ“š  Starting this one NOW - Fudge & Felonies by Lisa Siefert!!!

๐Ÿ“ธ  Information Attached  ๐Ÿ“ธ

20240410_201835.jpg

(4/5/24)  ๐Ÿ“š  Starting this one NOW - Cupcakes & Chaos by Lisa Siefert!!!

๐Ÿ“ธ  Information Attached  ๐Ÿ“ธ

20240405_231534.jpg

1 comment  ๐Ÿ“š (4/2/24) First Latina Surgeon General Details Her Story (AARP Article)

HAS ANYONE READ THIS BOOK?  ๐Ÿค”  I HAVE NOT!  ๐Ÿ‘ต

After decades of working in the public eye, Antonia Novello says sheโ€™s not retired but in transition, and she isnโ€™t done yet.

By Jennifer Ortiz, AARP. Published April 02, 2024.

https://www.aarp.org/entertainment/books/info-2024/antonia-novello-md-duty-calls.html

Trusted Social Butterfly

@SpringIsHereSoHappy   Havent read and only 2 reviews so far on Amazon.  Have you read any of Bill Bryson's books?  

1 comment  ๐Ÿ“š  (3/31/24)

DISCUSSION: What are your Book Sources?

Since retiring = NO more library trips for me = got LAZY  ๐Ÿ™„  Use to reserve books frequently and grabbed up the NEW books when they arrived.

Since retiring July 2020, it had been Dollar Tree. Then that got old in 2021/2022 with the HOT MESS their once clean/organized BOOK SECTION became. Now in 2024, lol - badically no more Book Section.

THIS YEAR [2024] I did order from Walmart online - my 1st Farmer's Almanac for 2024. Have developed a LUV for the Moon and another project on "hold"  ๐Ÿ™„ But I have promised myself to get back to it SOON.

My other book source has been authors who load their AUDIOBOOKS on to YouTube.

Lol, while I was still working - lived in BARNES & NOBLE and basically signed over my paychecks to them.  ๐Ÿ‘ต

0 Kudos
cancel
Showing results forย 
Showย ย onlyย  | Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 
Users
Need to Know

Achieve a top score in our Tournament Tuesday Word Games in May and you could win $100 every 30 days!

Learn More.

AARP Games Tournament Tuesdays

More From AARP