Recognized Social Butterfly

A JUXTAPOSITION OF OPPOSITES

A Juxtaposition of Opposites

Yesterday in Waikiki, a good encounter offset a bad one as I was walking around the block.

To avoid getting close to people who are not wearing (or improperly wearing) face masks, I scuttle from the sidewalk to the street, remaining as close as I can to the edge of the road.

At one point I saw a moving van approach me as I was striding right next to some parked cars. The burly driver snarled at me: “Move over!” He could obviously see that I had no room to maneuver, unless I plastered myself to one of the empty cars.

After I grumbled to myself that the man was a jerk, I got back on the sidewalk. Not too far ahead of me, I spied a properly masked infirm elderly lady who was painstakingly walking towards me with a cane. Before I had a chance to give her some space, she stopped, hobbled onto an inclined grassy area, and waited for me to pass by her. I was touched by her self-effacing courtesy. What a contrast to the mean-spirited driver of the van! I responded by saluting her with a distanced high five: she did the same.  

Whenever I witness unexpected acts of kindness in Hawaii, I am heartened that the spirit of Aloha continues to surface in delightful ways.

schlomo
Honored Social Butterfly

That is very sweet.  <-- at least this is what I initially thought.  She was being courteous.  But then I wondered if she was moving so far out of the way because she is used to others "not" giving her some space.  😞  

Either way, I am heartened by your positive gesture to her, and her response.  She knows at least you were kind and appreciative.  And I hope that made her day the same way she made yours.  🙂 

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Users
Announcements

"I downloaded AARP Perks to assist in staying connected and never missing out on a discount!" -LeeshaD341679

AARP Perks

Test Your Knowledge, Score Big. New Game Each Day!

AARP's new Right Again! Trivia game - part trivia, part puzzle, all fun! Special opportunities for AARP Members and Rewards participants. Play Now.

AARP Right Again! Trivia

AARP Rewards

Sync your smartphone or favorite tracker with AARP Rewards to earn points for hitting steps, swimming and cycling milestones Sync Now.

AARP Rewards Badge

Music and Brain Health

From soft jazz to hard rock - discover music's mental, social and physical benefits. Learn more.

Music and Brain Health