Content starts here
CLOSE ×

Search

The Importance of Protein in Your Diet

Community Concierge

The Importance of Protein in Your Diet

Are you eating enough protein? A growing number of experts say many older adults may need to get more protein than the recommended dietary allowance (RDA) to help preserve muscle mass, bone health and strength as we age. Some studies also suggest that sufficient protein may help protect mental skills. Insufficient protein can affect factors like poor sleep, insufficient physical activity, stress and anxiety. Read this article to learn how much protein you should be eating. There are many foods that are high in proteinโ€”try this breakfast taco recipe to start your day right! Visit AARPยฎ Staying Sharpยฎ, for more information on brain health.

Trusted Contributor

the only protein i eat is through peanut butter mostly then whatever foods i eat does have some inside them but peanut butter is my thing.

Contributor

All Animal cheese comes from the milk of impregnated mothers. They are artificially inseminated, their babies are taken away from them to make veal, and we take their mothers milk. The only animal makes milk is if they are pregnant whether human cow or dog. Bird eggs are basically the menses of the  animal. Itโ€™s period. None of these things are needed for human health. Itโ€™s time for more 2020s education and less 1950s education

we've been vegan for a dozen years and I believe it saved my life.  I absolutely agree with what you're saying.  

Contributor

This is a ridiculous misdirect, thanks to the meat and dairy lobbies. Protein is in everything including plants. it is very difficult to not get enough protein on a normal diet. in fact, there is no medical term for lack of protein. It would be starvation because of lack of calories. The big medical issue is that US citizens get way too much protein, causing all sorts of health conditions from kidney problems to heart issues. A plant-based diet provide many more health benefits, and pushing eating animals and excessive protein.

Look some people need extra protein like me. I have Nash Cirrhosis of the liver. If I don't add protein I will lose my muscles in my body and I will not be as healthy as I should be ,waiting on a liver transplant. Without a high protein score could cause me to be denied a transplant.  Also people who have cancer live having to eat extra protein.  So I'm glad they wrote this information for those who do need it. So stop being a Kevin and think of others 

Contributor

Thank you for this critically important article! I thank AARP for the whole body reset book by Stephen Perrine-The 8/19 findings re:daily protein reqs are a MUST! Everyday is a day to eat your way healthy as you age! Search Protein requirements for over 50-or Protein Requirements for older adults! It is a crime this EZ diet is critical to maintaining muscle as we age-and is ignored! Eat right work out-Iโ€™m 71 no health probs, no meds, trim fit, great sleep!

Regular Contributor

...I have found that the Mayo Clinic website and the Cleveland Clinic website are great sources of information.  The Cleveland Clinic is the number one rated Clinic in the entire country.

Here are some articles on protein, from the Cleveland Clinic...

from a simple Google search under "cleveland clinic on protein"

cleveland clinic on protein 

Contributor

Thank you, I can not get enough of healthy aging articles! 

cancel
Showing results forย 
Showย ย onlyย  | Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 
Users
Need to Know

NEW: AARP Games Tournament Tuesdays! This week, achieve a top score in Block Champ and you could win $100! Learn More.

AARP Games Tournament Tuesdays

More From AARP