Content starts here
CLOSE ×

Search

Community Concierge

Nothing to do?

We all know that exercise is good for us, but it’s often hard to fit it into a busy schedule. Just a 30-minute walk can have major health benefits for your brain and body. Taking a walk three times a week has been shown to help improve your brain’s ability to plan, concentrate and regulate emotions. Watch this video for helpful ways to squeeze in a nice brisk walk. Your brain will thank you. Visit AARP® Staying Sharp® for more brain health information.

At least 4-5 times a week, I take a very brisk 40 minute 3 mile walk which loops around a county road near my home. I find I do my most productive thinking and praying during this quiet time. In the early morning hours there is little to no traffic and beautiful wildlife in addition to a gorgeous sunrise which really lifts my mood. These walks keep me sane and revived for my day.

Trusted Contributor

i walk just twice a week. if i can i take the bus but every once in a while i take the notion to walk. Food city is just a 30 minute walk from my place & 30 minutes back + what ever time i take in the store. it makes me feel so good. i don't get a bit tired. i even walk from one end of town to the other for various reasons. for that long a walk i do get a bit flustered but the feeling it gives me feels so much better than sitting at home. 

Social Butterfly

I’ve plenty of time to exercise but making myself get started is the hardest part!

Trusted Contributor

Oh, how I DREAD my 20 min, 5 days a week walk

BUT the amazing thing is after 10 min I start feeling GREAT!

4 years ago I started out twice weekly, for 30 secs to the mailbox and back

then 1 min across the street and back

slowly but surely added minutes every week - end of the block and back, halfway down my street and back

This month I added walking past 2 more houses down my street, then returning home

Rarely do I walk only 15 mins, sometimes walking as much as 45 (okay - ONCE)

YES, the hardest part IS getting up off my rear end

Peace, Love, Blessings, Health and Happiness!

0 Kudos
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Users
Need to Know

NEW: AARP Games Tournament Tuesdays! This week, achieve a top score in Atari Centipede® and you could win $100! Learn More.

AARP Games Tournament Tuesdays

More From AARP