Content starts here
CLOSE ×

Search

Close Your Eyes and Tell Me What You Smell

Community Concierge

Close Your Eyes and Tell Me What You Smell

Smells can stir our emotions and remind us of the past. From an approaching rainstorm to fresh-baked bread, smells can delight us, entice us and trigger memories. Why are scents so powerful? Watch this video from our new โ€œYour Brain Onโ€ series to understand the unique way your brain processes smells. Find more great videos about the brain at AARPยฎ Staying Sharpยฎ, an AARP member benefit, today. 

The smell of hay drying in the fields, my dad's garage where he repaired farm equipment. The woods in the mornings when we went mushroom hunting. My mother's cinnamon rolls baking that we could smell when we got off the bus, which made us run in the lane instead of usual dawdling along.

0 Kudos
Regular Contributor

The smell of yeast in breadmaking; the smell of bread hot and fresh out of the oven; my motherโ€™s Italian meals; my fatherโ€™s big, fat Cuban cigars;  Eucalyptus leaves when crushed; roses in the garden; birthday candles when extinguished; wildfires; seaweed at the beach.

The smell of my Momโ€™s chicken soup on a cold rainy day.

Social Butterfly

The smell of lead pencil reminds me of back to school as a kid.

Honored Social Butterfly

When I close my eyes, I smell the rain. It's earthy, it's rusty, it's flowery, and it's smoky (Canada wildfires still in the air). Today, the first day of Summer, brings no sunshine, only rain. And, that's okay. 

cancel
Showing results forย 
Showย ย onlyย  | Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 
Users
Need to Know

NEW: AARP Games Tournament Tuesdays! This week, achieve a top score in Space Adventure Pinball and you could win $100! Learn More.

AARP Games Tournament Tuesdays

More From AARP