Content starts here
CLOSE ×

Search

Retired Community Manager

Pattern Match by Staying Sharp

You might be wondering why the circle is highlighting tiles throughout the game. The circle indicates the tile you have to match against; once you match all of the patterns on a tile, you get to pick two new patterns (tiles). Try Pattern Match today!

Contributor

Having trouble leveling up after I score more than 41,000 points. It should take me to the next level, but the game just goes back to the first level.

Is 41K the highest level?
Screenshot 2024-03-16 at 8.51.22 PM.png

Periodic Contributor

Hi Lynne-

Could you please outline the game strategy for Pattern Match? The seeming randomness of point gathering is very frustrating. Thank you in advance!

0 Kudos

@kcremerv, the basic strategy of the game relies on being precise with one's matches, while also playing quickly (precision and speed). Players are rewarded for their precision by chaining matches together and matching multiple patterns at the same time. Players are rewarded for their speed by rapidly making matches one after another and by completing the overall level as quickly as possible.

For someone who understands how all of the scoring works already, I believe the optimal strategy would start with assessing the level for multimatches before making any moves. Then, once one has an understanding of which tiles contain multimatches and which do not, they should try to make a chain with a length of 5 or more from tiles without multimatches. This is because multimatches only advance the chain by 1, but apply the chain bonus for all patterns in the multimatch. They should then complete the rest of level by maximizing their multimatches without breaking their chain. Lastly, they will need to do all of this as quickly as possible to maximize their speed bonuses and time bonus.

0 Kudos
Contributor

OK - not an expert at this game by any means, but what I have noticed about scoring is that it seems to value *speed* as much as accuracy, although you do get a "chain" bonus as well - when you make multiple correct picks in a row, the bonus stacks up.

When a tile is "highlighted" you will want to look at that tile specifically and try to match *one* feature of that tile in the remaining tiles.  So, try to match the main flower pattern, or the background or (on the later levels) the small center "button" tile.

Hope that helps some of the other players! 🙂

Periodic Contributor

do you get more points when you use the highlighted tiles?

0 Kudos
Periodic Contributor

Any tips on how the scoring works? Do you get more points for matching multiple patterns within each design? Or is speed more important? No matter what "theory" I use, I can't seem to break through my highest scores. 

0 Kudos

@not2senileyet, every match is worth 100 points. Making more than one correct match in a row without misclicking starts a chain. Each step in the chain awards an additional 50 point chain bonus, up to a maximum chain of 5, for a maximum bonus of 200 additional points. The first match is worth 100 points, the second match is worth 150, third is 200, fourth is 250, and the fifth and all subsequent matches in the chain thereafter are worth 300.

Multimatches award extra points for matching more than one pattern in a tile. Multimatches replace the 100 point value of the match with 500, 1000, or 2000 points, increasing based on how many patterns are in the match. A multimatch only increases the chain value by 1 regardless how how many patterns are in the match, but the chain bonus is applied to based on the number of patterns in the match. So, a multimatch with two patterns awards 500 points, but a maximum chain bonus adds another 200 points for each pattern, for a total of 900 points.

Speed Bonuses are award bonus points for getting a match within 3 seconds of another match. They are not affected by chains.

The time bonus awards extra points at the end of a level based on how quickly it was completed. How quickly one must complete the level to receive a bonus varies based on the level, allowing more time as the levels get larger and more complex. The exact formula for calculating the time bonus is ((Number of Tiles * Number of Layers * 3) - Seconds Used) * 20.

0 Kudos
Periodic Contributor

Thanks so much....this clears a lot up! 

Contributor

Seriously wish this was an App for my iPhone/iPad... LOL it's *very* addictive (in a good way! LOL)

0 Kudos
Contributor

This game is awesome!!! 😁

0 Kudos

We're so glad you like it, @JeeS899898!

0 Kudos
Contributor

Could you answer not2senileyet question about scoring tips?  What is a multimatch, for example?  Is it several matches sequentially, or matching more than one pattern in a tile?  And how many points do you get for one multimatch???

Contributor

Still trying to figure out how to get multimatch points. Perhaps if no answer several of us together can figure it out.  I don't think it is for sequential matches.  I'm guessing it is when you match two tiles which have two or more identical features - background and one layer of design, a center 'jewel' and a design, etc.  I cannot play a level and exactly tie the multimatch points to what I play, but that seems the trend to me.  And it appears to give you 500 points per multimatch.  Anyone else have ideas on this?

0 Kudos

@pt359, multimatches award extra points for matching more than one pattern in a tile. Multimatches are worth 500, 1000, or 2000 points, increasing based on how many patterns are in the match.

0 Kudos
Periodic Contributor

My strategy was to try to get exact matches off the board first, however that doesn't seem to give me any higher scores than just matching randomly as fast as I can. We're missing something here but I can't figure out what it is.  My highest score was 150,770 one time, and I haven't been able to get close to that since. I don't know what I did right that one time, but obviously I haven't duplicated it since lol.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Users
Need to Know

NEW: AARP Games Tournament Tuesdays! This week, achieve a top score in Atari Centipede® and you could win $100! Learn More.

AARP Games Tournament Tuesdays

More From AARP