Content starts here
CLOSE ×

Search

AARP Expert

#2 - Caregiver Holiday Survival Tip: Simplify your Holiday Activities

My second tip: Simplify your Holiday Activities

Because you are caregiving, you may not have the time or energy to "do it all". The pandemic makes it even more complicated this year. If going all out for the holidays will push you over the edge this year, remember that it doesn’t have to be all or nothing. I

• Decorations: If you can’t put out all of your decorations, choose a few items that are most significant.
    • You might also ask a friend to decorate the outside of the house - which wouldn't endanger you or your loved ones -  or pay someone to do so. You might find volunteers to do so - check out AARP Community Connections to find a Mutual Aid Group near you where a volunteer might be interested in helping out. If you have a family member or friend whom you trust to have been taking safety precautions and who will wear a mask in the house - ask them to help with inside decorations; you can always rearrange decorations once they are out.
    • When I just can't get out all of the decorations I just change the table linens to reflect the holiday - it's amazing how festive that can immediately make the house feel!
    • If you and your loved ones are bored from staying home, make some decorations this year - but keep it simple. You can order kits with all the supplies online at craft stores.
  • Greeting Cards: If sending greeting cards is too time-consuming, try sending e-greetings, and just send cards through the mail to a few key people in your life.
  • Baking: If it's not possible to do ALL of your holiday baking this year, choose 1-2 recipes you really want to make (and involve your loved ones you care for in the process if possible).
  • Family gatherings: A big rowdy holiday family gathering is a staple of the holidays for many families, but that may not be a good idea this year. So simplify - use video chat to be together, or have one or two family members over for a social distanced gathering instead. 

Get creative - you can do this. Simple doesn't mean worse, it just means, well, simple. Focus on what you CAN do, not what you can't do! You don't have to "cancel" the holidays just because it needs to be different this year!

Take care,

Amy Goyer, AARP Family & Caregiving Expert

Author, Juggling Life, Work and Caregiving

P.S. - below are links to my others Holiday Tips!

#10 - Caregiver Holiday Survival Tip: Ask for and Accept Help

#9 - Caregiver Holiday Survival Tip: Connect with Other Caregivers

#8 - Caregiver Holiday Survival Tip: Keep Up with Self-Care

#7 - Caregiver Holiday Survival Tip: Mind Your Holiday Mindset

#6 - Caregiver Holiday Survival Tip: Anticipate Holiday Hot Buttons

#5 - Caregiver Holiday Survival Tip: Approach Gift-Giving More Efficiently

#4 - Caregiver Holiday Survival Tip: Adjust Holiday Meal Plans

#3 - Caregiver Holiday Survival Tip: Start NEW Traditions!

#1 - Caregiver Holiday Survival Tip: Focus on What is Most Meaningful

So great brief for decoration I am so impressed with your words defiantly we can't do it in the pandemic year, very lost in the past years.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Users
Need to Know

NEW: AARP Games Tournament Tuesdays! This week, achieve a top score in Atari Centipede® and you could win $100! Learn More.

AARP Games Tournament Tuesdays

More From AARP