Content starts here
CLOSE ×

Search

Periodic Contributor

HOW TO DEAL WITH BOREDOM

Hi all                I recently retired and moved to a small, quite rural town (smaller and more rural  than I anticipated from the population stats) where there's not much going on at all.  No movie theater, library closed for a year (!) for renovation, no public transportation, no education opps (like classes at a community college or parks & rec etc.), no art or entertainment venues.  I am bored stiff after living in a big city with tons of resources at my fingertips and don't know what to do with myself all day/every day.  I am also shy and not very talented at much of anything.  Has anyone experienced this type of transition?  What the heck do you do about it?  I don't really like to drive that much but with no public bus -    does anyone know of anything/any activities I could do from home to engage?  How do you fill your day and keep your brain active?  Any suggestions would be appreciated.  

Regular Social Butterfly

First, congrats on your retirement and relocation!

Second, jealous I am!

With the library closed, I'd suggest checking county library and ebooks. I am unfortunate enough to still live "in the city" but have access to ebooks which I've used for over 2 years.

Consider this, also: I will not go outside after dark; there are too many crimes against persons committed in urban areas that I want to not be a victim of.

I would love to be in a small, quiet area; as long as there is internet access (especially for aarp.org and library access).

#VegasStrong

#VegasStrong
Phil Harris, actor and showman, to John Fogerty of CCR: “If I’d known I’d live this long, I’d have taken better care of myself.”
0 Kudos
Contributor

I have been ordering and doing diamond paintings.  It is quite relaxing and time consuming.  The kits are relatively cheap, and the pictures are beautiful.  I also am on Facebook, play a game on there (Family Farm) and do jigsaw puzzles on Jigsaw World, also on Facebook.  Those, too, will pass some time for you, if you like to do that sort of thing.  I still get a little bored, but try to keep moving, but I have two bad knees-have had both replaced, and one got infected and still isn't good.

Hope this gives you some ideas of things to do.

Gold Conversationalist

CynthiaD331405...where do you get the "Diamond Paintings". Can you tell me more about it? Thank you.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Users
Need to Know

NEW: AARP Games Tournament Tuesdays! This week, achieve a top score in Block Champ and you could win $100! Learn More.

AARP Games Tournament Tuesdays

More From AARP