Content starts here
CLOSE ×

Search

Body weight after 65

In the April May edition of the AARP magazine the article on the Weight Issue indicates that a 2022 study shows that people over the age of 65 should have different BMIs than younger people. For instance, a healthy BMI for a woman over 65 is 31 to 32. When I went to the aarp.org/BMI website to find my own BMI I was yelled at by the information telling me that I am terribly obese . This information is in direct conflict with the study that you highlighted in the article. So, am I obese or am I a healthy 70-year-old person?

Kudos
Views
Replies

I suppose everyone is different.   I am 5foot 3 and I am 72 years old.  I have always been between 110 and 140 ( at my highest ) as a non pregnant adult.  Presently I am 126 and feel just about right although I think 120 would be better. I am very active and take care of a large family and a very large yard by my self.  If I had a BMI OF 31 I WOULD HAVE TO BE 176 pounds!   YIKES!!!!   Ok I  was 170  when I was 9 months pregnant with my 3rd child who had a birth weight of 10 pounds  24 inches long!!     NO I think its ridiculous to say every woman over 60 should have a BMI of 31 to 32 to be her healthiest!!!   I simply disagree  - and if I can help it I will never  have a BMI at that level.  But thats just me.  Like I said everyone is different.  Whatever you are comfortable with  is the right weight for you as long as you are healthy and active with no resulting health issues that can be traced back to weight. 

Periodic Contributor

I agree, everyone is different. As we all do not have the safe health issues.

Trusted Contributor

Lots of great points. Just get outside and be active whether on the water or land. 

0 Kudos
Periodic Contributor

Same health issue.

Periodic Contributor

SAME health issues.

0 Kudos

I am 71 years old and have lost about 18 lbs which puts my BMI at 27-29.9. Like you, the article says I should be at 31-32 BMI. Also like you, when I went to the AARP site I was told I am overweight and should begin losing. AARP may want to adjust their article to conform to the advice they are peddling! I am at a weight I feel is a comfortable set point for me and feel at my age, I probably shouldn't get much thinner.

cancel
Showing results forย 
Showย ย onlyย  | Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 
Users
Need to Know

NEW: AARP Games Tournament Tuesdays! This week, achieve a top score in Block Champ and you could win $100! Learn More.

AARP Games Tournament Tuesdays

More From AARP