Periodic Contributor

Asking Advice: Neuropathy

Hi, everybody. Recently, I've been experiencing loss of feeling in my feet and my right leg. After some orthopedic tests, I learned, just yesterday, that I have peripheral neuropathy. The doctor advised me to see a neurologist, which I will do. I'm 71. My dad had the same condition when he was a little older than I am now.

I'm not handling this as well as I would like to. This is the first major medical issue I have had since I was 38, so I guess I'm spoiled. When I got the news, by phone, I felt full of grief. Not fear, but sorrow. I felt close to tears but couldn't cry. I kept thinking, "What is this thing doing in me? It doesn't belong here!" I also did some Internet research about how much worse this condition can get as it progresses, but instead of getting scared, I felt sadder. So I ate some Twinkies. 

I wish I could be more level-headed and matter-of fact about this. I am a realist. I've always known that things like this happen as we get older, but still, I wasn't prepared for this. I know I could be a lot worse off, so I don't want to sound whiney. I would just like to be able to look at this situation in a way that doesn't make me want to eat Twinkies! 

Can anyone give me some advice? I'd really appreciate it. Thanks. -- Clare

0 Kudos
Social Butterfly

I feel a little nosey because I have not experienced this condition first hand (yet), but it captured my attention so I did some reading.  It sounds like what you're describing is Sensory Peripheral Neuropathy.

Including some links to what I read.  Found the one from Johns Hopkins most informative:

https://www.hopkinsmedicine.org/health/conditions-and-diseases/peripheral-neuropathy 

https://www.mayoclinic.org/diseases-conditions/peripheral-neuropathy/symptoms-causes/syc-20352061?ge... 

https://www.ninds.nih.gov/Disorders/Patient-Caregiver-Education/Fact-Sheets/Peripheral-Neuropathy-Fa... 

0 Kudos
Periodic Contributor

Hi, and thank you for these helpful posts. I appreciate the important information. 

Sincerely, 

Clare

Kudos
Views
0 Kudos
Social Butterfly

Clare, so grateful for your post on this! My medical history was pretty much as yours; hospitalizations only for child birth, but one out-patient for negative cervical cancer. This was amazing as I had 13 aunts/uncles and 9 of the 10 girls passed from a cancer; my mother did not.

Some consider our disease as nothing, I think especially with the COVID variants; but it is real especially for many of us who haven't used and possibly abused the health insurance / Medicare / Medicaid systems.

If you learn of any hopeful or successful therapy for our ages-old disease, please share!

#StaySafe

#VegasStrong
Phil Harris, actor and showman, to John Fogerty of CCR: “If I’d known I’d live this long, I’d have taken better care of myself.”
0 Kudos
Periodic Contributor

Hi. I will share anything of value that I learn. I'm really sorry for what happened in your family history, but it's a blessing that your mom wasn't affected by it. 

As long as I keep busy this thing I have is easy to ignore. It doesn't hurt, and has not (yet) interfered with my mobility. I will do my best to avoid worrying about what it could become. That's a waste of time, because it's unknowable right now. 

Thanks for your advice! 

0 Kudos
Honored Social Butterfly

@higgie,

It's all part of getting older and it is better than many alternatives. I experience the same symptoms as you.

When I had my doctor set me up for physical therapy, the therapist had me walk up and down a hallway, step up and down steps, and made me balance on one foot and pronounced me as NOT IN NEED of physical therapy. She said I performed better than most 70 year olds, even with my neuropathy. She said that chemo, which I had two years ago, could have been a factor or could be just age. She said it could eventually go away or might never go away or might get worse.

I counted my blessings that this malady is what it is and not something drastically worse and I approach it in a positive manner such as that.

Finally, what is wrong with a Twinkie craving.

After 7 decades of life's experiences, one deserves a Twinkie any time they want one!!!!!!

0 Kudos
Periodic Contributor

Thank you very much for your very wise advice and for sharing your experience. I feel a lot better thanks to your words. And I won't feel guilty next time it's Twinkie Time! 

Thanks again!

0 Kudos
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Users
Need to Know
More From AARP