Highlighted
Contributor
Kudos
Views

Re: Has anyone had to deal with a family y the is addicted to drugs and refuses to get help

Message 1 of 2

Our Daughter was in the Air Force and started using drugs.  The AF eventually discovered it and she was given a temp discharge of 5 years to get clean and straight.  She refused to get lean, and ended up on the streets of Denver for about 6 years!!  (winter was very, very cold!!!!)  We did not take her in, we had both kids, we did not give her money, she ended up in jail a couple of times, then finally in the VA hospital.   She could not return to the AF, so she was discharged. 

She has now graduated from college!!  (Honor roll!!!!!!) and has been clean for 3 years!!!  She lives on her own, has 3 dogs, and holds down a job!!!   What a change!! 

It was hard on us, because she is an only child, and we so wanted her life to be wonderful!!  But we knew, no matter what our dreams were for her, she had to live her OWN life! 

We are so proud of her, she has overcome a lot and has stepped up for herself !!!

As parents we just have to hang in there and keep praying for them.

Report Inappropriate Content
Kudos
Views
Highlighted
Contributor
Kudos
Views
Replies

Has anyone had to deal with a family y the is addicted to drugs and refuses to get help

Message 2 of 2

My youngest son has a drug acctiction and I've tried I to help him he's is homeless and I greive everyday for him and worry I won't enable him anymore and at a loss  as how I can help him or myself this difficult process.

Report Inappropriate Content
Kudos
Views
Replies
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Users
Announcements

AARP Coronavirus Call-in Event

AARP will host a weekly, live Coronavirus Information Tele-Town Hall on Thursdays at 1 pm (ET). Learn more on AARP's Coronavirus Tele-Town Hall page and join us each week for the latest information.

Calling is toll-free. During the 90-minute live event, government experts will answer your questions and address health concerns related to COVID-19.