Content starts here
CLOSE ×

Search

Trusted Contributor

Cautions re Passings

Two cautions re passings.

We had a friend who experienced the passing of three close relatives in one year.  The stress from the grief was so severe, that he became extremely ill, had to go to the hospital and almost lost his eyesight (from some kind of profound infection from the illness he had).

If you experience profound loss, please consider taking a bit of counseling for awhile.

The second caution is a bit unusual.  I saw a friend a few days after my father passed.  He said to me, "Be careful driving."  I said, "What? What did you say?"  He said, "Be careful driving."  I thought he was nuts.

Later that day, sure enough, I ran a red light and almost killed myself.

Apparently, grief has some kind of side effect that it powerful absorbs your thinking...and, I guess your concentration level can slip.  I would not have believed this until I experienced it myself.

Sorry for everyone's losses.

Take care.

Conversationalist

Thank you, John, for sharing these important cautions.  It really helps to bring these out in the open, particularly the risks of driving.  I experienced that myself and also almost killed myself, in addition to "constructively" totaling the car.  Very few people empathize. and in fact, I have been ridiculed and laughed at by many in my church, neighbors and so-called friends.  My Grief Counselor at the time confirmed that those who just lost a loved one seem to have more car accidents and there are studies to prove that.  What to do?  Like everything else on this seemingly never-ending grief experience, do what feels right for you.  Don't let others rush you in a potentially future dangerous situation.  Take your time, take a deep breath, and be your own best friend and caregiver.  You will find your way in time.  Thanks for sharing, Sue  

Bronze Conversationalist

Sorry for your loss John. 

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Users
Need to Know

NEW: AARP Games Tournament Tuesdays! This week, achieve a top score in Space Adventure Pinball and you could win $100! Learn More.

AARP Games Tournament Tuesdays

More From AARP