Content starts here
CLOSE ×
Search
Contributor

AARP Bulletin Inaccuracy and need for some Editorial - Election 2024

Just read the AARP Bulletin on the Election 2024 and "Where they Stand" for the Presidential candidates. Read upfront that AARP and its vice president and editor and chief, Robert Love noted that the two candidate's responses were in their own words and without commenting on the accuracy of the claims.

However, believe that AARP owes some responsibility to their members and readers for accuracy when publishing this information for some editorial when you realize, without question, that some of the responses are not only completely inaccurate but mistruths and knowingly lies.

For example, just addressing the question for how would you ensure that Americans have access to affordable high-speed internet, former President Trump stated that "Biden has done nothing" and he's done very little on that. The truth is, President Biden passed a bi-partisan $1.2 Trillion dollar Infrastructure bill in 2021 with over $65 Billion dedicated to high-speed internet. A presidential candidate would know this and certainly this one as he had promised (unsuccessfully) to pass Infrastructure legislation when he was formerly president. 

Some exaggerations from political candidates can be expected, but when a candidate knowingly lies for votes and it can influence an election as important as this one, it's important that AARP members know the truth! Publishing flat out lies and mistruths, without some editorials are a disservice to AARP members and readers!

Contributor

My thoughts exactly!! Here's what I had prepared to post when I saw DavidH943120's post...

Iโ€™m writing to disagree with AARPโ€™s decision not to fact-check the statements made in the interviews with the two presidential candidates in the October AARP Bulletin, volume 65, No. 8. What service are you providing if โ€˜factsโ€™ presented in the article havenโ€™t been verified? Couldnโ€™t I just listen to campaign speeches and get the same information?

While I appreciate AARPโ€™s nonpartisan position, I look to AARP as a trusted source of information. In todayโ€™s environment of misinformation and disinformation, AARPโ€™s journalism needs to meet the needs of its patrons for disseminating accurate information. I believe AARP has met that expectation in reporting on many important issues, so why withhold that service for something as important as the presidential election? I would love to hear that reasoning as Iโ€™m sure it was discussed.

The AARP โ€˜disclaimerโ€™ said that โ€œBut what AARP strongly believes in is your right to vote and the importance of exercising that right.โ€  AARP presumably hopes voters will make an informed decision when they cast their votes. If AARP patrons were to rely on this article they would be making a decision based partly on misinformation and/or disinformation which can influence the outcome of elections (Mirรณ-Llinares and Aguerri Citation2021). Iโ€™m not talking about positions on issues or certainly not on future promises, Iโ€™m talking about statements made as fact that are false in the candidates responses to AARPโ€™s questions.  While I appreciate AARPโ€™s position of not endorsing a candidate, that shouldnโ€™t include allowing misinformation by either candidate to be passed on as if it were fact.

...Daniel Patrick Moynihan said

โ€œEveryone is entitled to his own opinion, but not to his own facts.โ€

0 Kudos
Contributor

And don't you just love how Trump claims credit for the insulin copay cap?  Yes, Trump signed an executive order but it only established a temporary, voluntary program.  Biden's Inflation Reduction Act mandated the caps for all Medicare programs as well as cap to out-of-pocket price caps to all insulin products permanently.

0 Kudos
cancel
Showing results forย 
Showย ย onlyย  | Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 
Users
Need to Know

"I downloaded AARP Perks to assist in staying connected and never missing out on a discount!" -LeeshaD341679

AARP Perks

More From AARP