Content starts here
CLOSE ×

Search

Community Manager
Community Manager

AARP Games: Red Bar (Website Header)

We just recently introduced our new website header (the red bar at the top of the screen) to provide a consistent user interface with the rest of the AARP.org website, improve website familiarity, and increase the speed of page load.

Weโ€™ve noticed some desktop users are having trouble with the website header bar impeding gameplay. We have determined adblocking software might be interfering, causing the header bar (red bar) to move down the page as you scroll (see photo below). This issue is remedied for some by turning off adblocking software.

red bar.png

For more information on the new website header, read AARP Games: Mega Menu (Website Header)

0 Kudos
Contributor

Without an ad blocker the site is totally unusable.

Regular Contributor

Hello Hannah: I'm not sure adblockers are the problem.  I had an adblocker in Chrome when this issue initially appeared. I switched to Edge, where I did not have an adblocker running at first, and the problem was mostly better. I've since installed the adblocker in Edge and the I'm still able to play. I just have to be very precise about how far I scroll down so the gameplay stays visible, but the red navigation bar doesn't jump down and interfere.  So it doesn't appear that the adblocker itself is not causing the problem. Also, my wife does not have any adblockers and she still has the issue with the banner. 

It does seem that there is a broader issue. I'm not sure that the web designers understand the audience very well. We are just looking for a bit of a pleasant pass-time with a simple interface. Most of us don't need to be hit over the head with additional info about membership. And we certainly don't need ads for silly tee-shirts, cosmetics, and orthopedic devices.  I'm not sure if the web designers spoke to any actual users, but if they did, I don't think they listened. 

Regular Contributor

Excellent post!

Periodic Contributor

I am a member, and they simply don't have an option for me to put in my member number to get the banner off either, so whoever decided to do this is a complete moron and needs to be fired!

Periodic Contributor

I am a member, and have an established AARP account. Had played for months without logging on and still can, but get the same results whether I log on or not.

I turned off the ad blocker and still did the same thing, I use a laptop.  I will find the games on another site because this is just god awful.

Periodic Contributor

It's what I did. I went directly to Arcadia.com. It has most of the same games anyways and no annoying red banner floating in the way. You have one 30 second ad and that's it.

Regular Contributor

I went to that site and got something else.  Do you have another website address for it?

Oh, never mind.  I found it.  It is arkadium.com.  I appreciate your post.

Periodic Contributor

I am having the same problem. It definitely changed within the last week or two, and persists on two different computers and different browsers on each. The problem with any Arcadia-based site is they will not run at all without disabling ad blocker for me, yet I have no ad blocker available to block (have tried.) msn has an ugly-colored version of Word Wipe with no option to click ahead to the next game, but it bothers me less than this irritating moving red bar. Please, please, please put it back the way it was!

Periodic Contributor

disabling ad blocker led to other problems with keyed in answers switching directions seemingly at random- ad blocker or not - there is an unreasonable lag between typing & letters appearing in appropriate squares

Periodic Contributor

No, I will just go to another site to play the games. I was thinking of joining, but forget it now. I hope people leave AARP in droves thanks to this stupid selfish decision. 

Contributor

I will look for another site and not renew my membership next time. Whoever redesigned the site did a poor job. Please email me when you have fixed this issue.

Periodic Contributor

Well, I am NOT turning off my adblocker for your page so I guess you lost this game player. I am allowed NOT to have ads displayed and follow me on the pages I visit. So sad, too bad.

Contributor

Who is running the gaming site for AARP?  Now I can't even get to Games.  I hate this site.  TIme to cancel m;y membership.

0 Kudos
Community Manager
Community Manager

Hi @SusanG320373 so sorry to hear you're having trouble! Please see this update from today: https://community.aarp.org/t5/Games-Talk/Accessing-Games-on-AARP-Technicial-Issue/m-p/2546340#M4897 

0 Kudos
cancel
Showing results forย 
Showย ย onlyย  | Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 
Users
Need to Know

NEW: AARP Games Tournament Tuesdays! This week, achieve a top score in Block Champ and you could win $100! Learn More.

AARP Games Tournament Tuesdays

More From AARP