Content starts here
CLOSE ×

Search

Contributor

looking for assistance

I come to you in hopes that you can help me somehow. I am 81 and my husband will be 86 in Septembver. We do not function as well as we used to, of course. But we desperately need help and I do not know where to turn. We are in deep financial status and have to find anothr place to rent very, very soon, as our landlord wants to sell his house. He has increased our rent from $1,495.00 to $1,750.00. We also, unfortunately, do not have any monies to pay for a deposit sand for the move proper. We have been here for 12 years since we lost our home to floreclosure in 2007. I will also have to declare bankruptcy (for the second time) very soon. My husband used to take care of every thing for many years until he suffered a very bad stroke in 2005. I, myself, had two strokes but they were not as bad as his, they were more like TIAs. We have been supporting our son, Ron (57) as he has inherited my husband uncurable illness, HHT (hereditary hemorrhagic telangectasia). In addition, he is very slow. We also absorbed many of our daughter, Sonia's (53) expenses as she is also in bad shape. We have been looking and looking for a place to rent but have not been successful. We need a place with 2/3 bedrooms and 2 baths and a fenced-in yard as we have cats. They are like our grandchildren and we do not want to get rid of them. I myself am not in very good health either but everything is now on my shoulders. I was born and raised in France and, unfortunately, I am still a foreigner! My husband retired from the Army as a Warrant Officer and we queried the VA for support. Unfortunately, they would only help with buying something under $240,000, which in California, is an impossibility. I retired from the Postal Service after 16 1/2 years and my retirement is very minimal. I no longer drive so that makes it difficult for the many medical visits! I try to stay alart and knowledgeable but it is really getting harder as I age...Can you direct me to an organization that would help with our problems? My husband does not handle anything anymore. Any help you could give us would be greatly appreciated! Thank you, merci!

Contributor

Hello,  So very sorry to hear about your circumstances.  I live now in a small town in Ohio and mostly it’s a bit cheaper here, but for several years I went back and forth between here and Ca. My daughter is still there now. The best thing you could really do is get out of Ca, but I know that’s so difficult st your age. I would tell you to get in touch with your local United Way, or Salvation Army. Also try some local churches and there are always charitable organizations everywhere there. Again so sorry and God bless you

Honored Social Butterfly
Honored Social Butterfly

https://www.hud.gov/states/california/renting

Federal housing assistance for seniors 

Honored Social Butterfly

https://www.aging.ca.gov/

The department on Aging May have resources too.

Honored Social Butterfly

I’m so sorry you are going through this. Does your county have any housing assistance programs?  Counties are often more approachable and helpful than state programs. 

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Users
Need to Know

NEW: AARP Games Tournament Tuesdays! This week, achieve a top score in Bubble Shooter and you could win $100! Learn More.

AARP Games Tournament Tuesdays

More From AARP