Super Contributor

SERVICE ANIMAL , PET , COMPANION ?

I have always had allergies to animals. I  am told it is their fur. Not hair, but fur. Even with the allergies, I have had many various pets. I love animal. I had several for many years and became very attached to them. I still mourn years after because I miss them. They were a great blessing and brought joy into my life. Although they were close to me , I had limitations with them. They were behaved. Allowed in certain areas and under control. I never took them on vacations or camping with me. I had a sitter to watch them. I did not like someones pet bothering me while camping or on the beach etc. and I would not impose that on others. I support those who have actual service animals. Real service animals. It used to be taboo for pets to be in a store or restaurant unless they were there for handicapped folks like the blind.  When you have animals and food together, I don't feel they belong there. Almost everywhere I go now, there they are. Maybe I'm old fashioned, but that is how I feel. When you have allergies, or maybe you just don't like animals, and you are in a confined space like an airplane we as humans need our space too. Often the pet owners cannot accept that you don't just love their little pooky, you can't resist them . And they should be allowed to go anywhere. Not all people feel that way. I really do love animals ! But there is a time and a place for them.

Honored Social Butterfly

I agree. I know real, or at least welll-trained, service dogs when I see them. I wouldn't mind the others so much if the owners kept from away from me. Not everyone loves your Boo the way you do.

0 Kudos
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Users
Announcements

Try the new AARP Perks browser tool! Get timely reminders about AARP resources, discounts, and other member benefits as you browse online. Install AARP Perks now.

AARP Perks

Test Your Knowledge, Score Big. New Game Each Day!

AARP's new Right Again! Trivia game - part trivia, part puzzle, all fun! Special opportunities for AARP Members and Rewards participants. Play Now.

AARP Right Again! Trivia

AARP Rewards

Activate AARP Rewards to earn points for games, quizzes and videos. Redeem for deals and discounts. Get started with AARP Rewards now!

AARP Rewards Badge

Music and Brain Health

From soft jazz to hard rock - discover music's mental, social and physical benefits. Learn more.

Music and Brain Health