Content starts here
CLOSE ×
Search

๐Ÿš— Find Out How You Can Reduce Car Expenses (AARP Article)

Esteemed Social Butterfly

๐Ÿš— Find Out How You Can Reduce Car Expenses (AARP Article)

HOW ARE YOU REDUCING YOUR COSTS?  ๐Ÿค”  ME - MAINTENANCE AND LOW MILEAGE INSURANCE!  ๐Ÿ˜Ž

Car costs are going through the sunroof. But there are ways to save.

By Margie Zable Fisher. Published December 29, 2023.

https://www.aarp.org/auto/trends-technology/reduce-car-expenses/

0 Kudos

FROM ARTICLE AND ADVICE I AM FOLLOWING:

(1) Go high-maintenance. โ€œItโ€™s a lot less expensive and easier to maintain a vehicle than it is to repair a vehicle,โ€ says David Bennett, senior automotive manager at AAA.

(2) Ask for a low-mileage discount. If youโ€™ve recently retired or shifted to working from home, your driving mileage may have dramatically decreased, which can lower premiums.

0 Kudos
Honored Social Butterfly

@SpringIsHereSoHappy wrote:

FROM ARTICLE AND ADVICE I AM FOLLOWING:

(1) Go high-maintenance. โ€œItโ€™s a lot less expensive and easier to maintain a vehicle than it is to repair a vehicle,โ€ says David Bennett, senior automotive manager at AAA.

(2) Ask for a low-mileage discount. If youโ€™ve recently retired or shifted to working from home, your driving mileage may have dramatically decreased, which can lower premiums.

Being an AARP member, I had already read this article. A few good ideas.

My insurance company doesn't have a low mileage discount but has a plethora of other discounts of which I take advantage.

Bronze Conversationalist

@nctarheel  Not Hartford I imagine?

@SpringIsHereSoHappy You should get a penalty for driving with a smartphone.  Golf cart, are you moving to The Villages?  

I can't imagine how little I will be driving if & when I retire. I only drive around 6K now.

(2/27/24) @Tempest332 , explain your statement about driving with a Smartphone = penalty??? ๐Ÿค”  The Golf Cart remark was a joke and no Villages for me. I NEED to be "off grid" = that place is like Peyton Place! ๐Ÿ˜Ž

[*** @Tempest332 wrote:

@nctarheel  Not Hartford I imagine?

@SpringIsHereSoHappy You should get a penalty for driving with a smartphone.  Golf cart, are you moving to The Villages?  

I can't imagine how little I will be driving if & when I retire. I only drive around 6K now. ***]

0 Kudos
Bronze Conversationalist

(2/27/24) @Tempest332 , explain your statement about driving with a Smartphone = penalty??? ๐Ÿค”  The Golf Cart remark was a joke and no Villages for me. I NEED to be "off grid" = that place is like Peyton Place! ๐Ÿ˜Ž

***]

I hear they have a Wal*Mart onsite in The Villages. ๐Ÿ˜‰

0 Kudos

(2/28/24) Lol, and can you imagine the DRAMA inside the store!!!  ๐Ÿคฃ๐Ÿ˜‚

[*** @Tempest332 wrote:
I hear they have a Wal*Mart onsite in The Villages. ๐Ÿ˜‰  ***]

0 Kudos
Bronze Conversationalist

Some videos on the U Toob if you have time, I thought you lived near there?...

How come there isn't an auto forum on here? 

(2/28/24) Why @Tempest332 ? No one comes to this forum except to win free money they think/lol ๐Ÿ˜‚๐Ÿคฃ  When I am in Florida, Melbourne. Doing it and Virginia at moment.  ๐Ÿ˜Ž

[*** @Tempest332 wrote:

Some videos on the U Toob if you have time, I thought you lived near there?...

How come there isn't an auto forum on here? ***]

0 Kudos
Bronze Conversationalist

@SpringIsHereSoHappy Smartphones (phones in the car in general) induce inattentiveness, & distractions to driving.   I'm likely paying for others inattentiveness in my higher rates. 

(2/27/24)  Yes @Tempest332 , I have been "rear ended" at a STOP LIGHT 2 times, NOT my fault - due to drivers using cell WHILE DRIVING. Not sure about Florida but I "think" you will get a TICKET "if" caught in Virginia. And I luv the ladies putting on their "makeup" WHILE DRIVING. How about getting up earlier = get it done at home OR wait until you pull into your job's PARKING LOT????  ๐Ÿ˜Ž

[*** @Tempest332 wrote:

@SpringIsHereSoHappy Smartphones (phones in the car in general) induce inattentiveness, & distractions to driving.   I'm likely paying for others inattentiveness in my higher rates. ***]

Kudos
Views
0 Kudos
Bronze Conversationalist

(2/27/24)  Yes @Tempest332 , I have been "rear ended" at a STOP LIGHT 2 times, NOT my fault - due to drivers using cell WHILE DRIVING. Not sure about Florida but I "think" you will get a TICKET "if" caught in Virginia. And I luv the ladies putting on their "makeup" WHILE DRIVING. How about getting up earlier = get it done at home OR wait until you pull into your job's PARKING LOT????  ๐Ÿ˜Ž

I always was extra careful in that stretch of 77 in Virginia, unmarked cars & plenty of hiding places. (Radar detectors are ILLEGAL in Virginia), I had one with road condition info & one of the only states it worked well was WV. 

Coming out of my development this am, 2 cars turned in... no signal, preventing me from turning out. ... drivers playing with "the phone".  Get to the main intersection driver creeping through driver "texting".

(2/28/24) @Tempest332 , it has been a few years since I took a Road Trip. The last one was from Cave Spring, Virginia to Lexington, Virginia and the GPS on my Android did ALERT me to them "hiding" behind stuff/lol ๐Ÿคฃ๐Ÿ˜‚

But LOCALLY, no warning  ๐Ÿ˜Ž

[*** @Tempest332 wrote:

I always was extra careful in that stretch of 77 in Virginia, unmarked cars & plenty of hiding places. (Radar detectors are ILLEGAL in Virginia), I had one with road condition info & one of the only states it worked well was WV. 

Coming out of my development this am, 2 cars turned in... no signal, preventing me from turning out. ... drivers playing with "the phone".  Get to the main intersection driver creeping through driver "texting". ***]

0 Kudos
Bronze Conversationalist

This was before the "phone" craze started.  Just a 1 line matrix scrolling display, that informed of slow traffic, accident ahead, caution, construction, along with police radar displaying the band including Laser & pulse.   

(2/29/24) @Tempest332 , BEFORE I had my daughter 35 years ago, I use to "bounce between Miami and Orlando" and would STAY BEHIND the truckers. Back then I DIDNOT have a "fancy" cell. They had RADAR = when they SLOWED DOWN = I did the same = NEVER got pulled over  ๐Ÿ˜Ž

[*** @Tempest332 wrote:

This was before the "phone" craze started.  Just a 1 line matrix scrolling display, that informed of slow traffic, accident ahead, caution, construction, along with police radar displaying the band including Laser & pulse.   ***]

0 Kudos
Bronze Conversationalist

Never used it for speeding, just made me more aware of my surroundings.

BTW, did you take 95 or the Turnpike?  

(2/29/24) I no longer speed, may go 5 miles OVER the posted SPEED LIMIT @Tempest332 . But read recently that they can and will get you for 5. In the past, you could get away with it.  ๐Ÿ˜Ž

[*** @Tempest332 wrote:

Never used it for speeding, just made me more aware of my surroundings, ***]

0 Kudos

(2/24/24) Me too @nctarheel , but missing the Drivewise App that knocked off alot for SAFE driving. Also had "free" magazine subscriptions. Since retiring, I NO longer drive enough miles to use the bonus. GRATEFUL "renewal" for THIS MONTH was awesome. Looks like the "ridiculous" renewal INCREASES I have been getting since 2020 (pandemic) are gone  ๐Ÿ’ƒ๐Ÿ’ƒ๐Ÿ’ƒ

[*** @nctarheel wrote:

Being an AARP member, I had already read this article. A few good ideas.

My insurance company doesn't have a low mileage discount but has a plethora of other discounts of which I take advantage. ***]

0 Kudos
Honored Social Butterfly

(2/24/24)  Looks like the "ridiculous" renewal INCREASES I have been getting since 2020 (pandemic) are gone  ๐Ÿ’ƒ๐Ÿ’ƒ๐Ÿ’ƒ

Don't celebrate too quickly, @SpringIsHereSoHappy. The Insurance Industry in N.C. asked for a 42% increase in homeowner's insurance. Of course, the N.C. Insurance Commissioner turned it down.

(2/24/24) @nctarheel , my insurance is ONLY for my 2006 Hyundai Elantra in Virginia. I rent! NOT sure IF I will "tow" her back to Florida. NOW THAT STATE is h.ll compared to 2015 when I MOVED TO Virginia  ๐Ÿ˜ฑ๐Ÿ˜ฑ๐Ÿ˜ฑ  Lol, I see a Golf Cart in my future when I eventually move BACK there 100%.  ๐Ÿ˜Ž

[*** @nctarheel wrote:

Don't celebrate too quickly, @SpringIsHereSoHappy. The Insurance Industry in N.C. asked for a 42% increase in homeowner's insurance. Of course, the N.C. Insurance Commissioner turned it down. ***]

0 Kudos
cancel
Showing results forย 
Showย ย onlyย  | Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 
Users
Need to Know

AARP Limited Time Offer: Memorial Day Sale! Join or renew for just $9 per year when you sign up for a 5-year term and get a FREE gift.

More From AARP