Highlighted
Conversationalist
Kudos
Views

Re: Do you agree that choice of car changes as you age?

Message 11 of 32

To Budbilt: I don't know what your budget is, but I think you should test a VW Jetta, especially if you were to stumble onto a GLI. Check out a Golf GTI as well. Only you would know if these cars satisfy all your needs. For a little more luxury, try an Audi S4. If within your budget, try the new Civic Si or Civic R.

Report Inappropriate Content
Kudos
Views
Highlighted
Contributor
Kudos
Views

Message 12 of 32
I currently own a Dodge Neon with the handling package. I'm looking to replace it but want something that handles well but American cars don't offer a handling package except on high end cars that I can't afford so I'm looking at used Mercedes and Volvos.
Kudos
Views
Highlighted
Contributor
Kudos
Views

Message 13 of 32

I retired last year at 55 and replaced my 15 year old Dodge Stratus (which was preceded by a Dodge Spirit) with a Jeep Cherokee 4x4 Sport.  I've loved exploring the SW and knew that I'd now have more time to explore the backroads and hit sites off the beaten path - thus the Jeep with the backroad upgrades.  So the choice was more about how I'd be using it than about age per se.

Turns out it's a lot easier for me to get in and out of as the seat is much higher - I'm a big 6'4".  That ease of entry is something I'll keep in mind with future vehicle purchase.

Most of the electronics don't do anything for me.  I like my SD card's music and listen to the radio now and then, but still look over my shoulder when backing up even when I check the rear camera.  I didn't have the dealer enable anything else.

Re the discussion about chips and repairs...  I don't know what effect chips have on repair rates and costs.  But I do appreciate some of the simplicity that's been lost over the years.  Back in '88 a rock bounced from a truck into one of my headlights while I was on vacation.  I had never repaired anything on a car before, but stopped at Kmart where I bought a replacement headlight and some tools and replaced it myself.

Today, with all the info the car displays for me in mind, I just wish someone would improve the "Check Engine" light so that it displays the actual code

Kudos
Views
Highlighted
Super Contributor
Kudos
Views

Message 14 of 32

I'm putting off crossing that bridge, (getting a new car), as long as I can.  The car I have now is a '94 Cavalier with 160 plus and is definitely the best one I've ever driven.  It just runs and runs.  In looking at a new one, I really have no idea what I would get.  Like I say, it's a bridge......

Kudos
Views
Highlighted
Regular Contributor
Kudos
Views

Message 15 of 32
The average age of a Buick owner is 57. You could also say that Cadillac, Lincoln, Toyota Avalon, Lexus, etc. fit this age category. BTW, Have you seen the Regal and Encore?
Kudos
Views
Highlighted
Kudos
Views

Message 16 of 32

I am 82 years old and I have a foed Explorer. I wouldn't go any smaller.

Kudos
Views
Highlighted
Contributor
Kudos
Views

Re: Do you agree that choice of car changes as you age? Yes.

Message 17 of 32

When I got my first car it was the sporty, albet cheepest version, 60's Mustang.  Now as I am retired, all a really want is something comfortable, easy to get in and out of, and some tech that I understand. All within a reasonable price.

Kudos
Views
Highlighted
Gold Conversationalist
Kudos
Views

Message 18 of 32
  • Yes, I agree.  When men get old, they want a Buick!  You never see a young man in a Buick.
Kudos
Views
Highlighted
Regular Contributor
Kudos
Views

Message 19 of 32

I do agree.  I've gone full circle.  I started in 1972 with a Toyota Corona, and now have a Honda Fit.   In the middle were larger cars, pickups, etc.   I've gone back to those easy to park cars.  I love the reverse camera.  I haven't run over anyone's child or dog.  I can charge my phone while driving.  I can get in the front seat easily.  Functional.  I'll decorate with bumper stickers.

Kudos
Views
Highlighted
Contributor
Kudos
Views

Message 20 of 32

Oh yes I agree.  I bought a Buick Encore recently because it is so much easier to get in and out of it. I have Intellelink, great Bluetooth sound, back up camera and the back seats are easily flattened to allow more room for auctions and heavy shopping at Costco.  

Kudos
Views
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Users
Top Authors