Refresh your driving skills with the AARP Smart Driver online course! Use promo code THANKS to save 25 percent.

Info Seeker
Kudos
Views

Re: What's your favorite dog breed?

Message 201 of 217

Greyhounds, without a doubt. That comes from a 2 veterinarian household.

Rick Rockar, VMD
dogdocrock@gmail.com
Report Inappropriate Content
Kudos
Views
Info Seeker
Kudos
Views

Message 202 of 217

We have a dochshund and a rescue doberman.  They are the loves of the family.  Our doberman, Buck, is not only a great watch dog but loyal to the enth degree.  He watches out for all of us and is the most lovable big sweetie!! When you walk him people cross the street, they should only know how sweet he really is.  Our little doxi, Lulu, is just a cuddle bug who wants nothing more than to sit on the couch with me or lay in my bed under the covers. I guess that's more than you asked for in your question but when it comes to our fur babies I just love them both so much.

Kudos
Views
Info Seeker
Kudos
Views

Standard Poodle

Message 203 of 217

I've had three, the last a rescue.

No shedding and one of the breed standards is an intense desire to please their owner.  They also have a sense of humor and are big teases.

Kudos
Views
Info Seeker
Kudos
Views

Message 204 of 217
BEAGLE !!! Adorable, friendly, loving, & great with kids! We even love their unusual howl!!
Kudos
Views
Conversationalist
Kudos
Views

Message 205 of 217

You can find a "real" German Shepherd through rescues or even at animal shelters.   Petfinder.com is a great tool.   

Kudos
Views
Valued Social Butterfly
Kudos
Views

Message 206 of 217

A short background of my history with dogs...I always considered myself a lifetime cat person. We tried a Siberian Husky when my eldest son was a toddler. They make for spirited pups. Misha scared my son and teethed on the kitchen furniture. She went on to live to ripe old age with my brother. There was a Bassett who was food aggressive, a Border Collie who was kind of a furry crack head. Beautiful dogs, but not for a small apartment.

We moved to a large house several years ago. And once again I got the urge for a dog, just one more try. We found Sophie a boxer mix. What mix I didn't know until we took a walk and someone called "Hey that's a pit!". From there I began researching the bully breeds. Actually she's more of an American Staffordshire mix we came to find out. A few years later we brought home Callie, a young happy go lucky American Bull Dog. The bull breeds aren't for everyone. But with the right family these misunderstood pups can be ideal.

We live in an area where shootings and muggings have happened far too close to home. I can walk my Callie anywhere day or night and know I'm safe under his watch. I can go to work confident that my kids will be safe from break ins and bad guys. Yet for all his brawn he can curl up in bed with us like a cat, snoring like a happy hog and he's the most gentle guy you could ever hope to love. I will always have a bully in the future.

Kudos
Views
Treasured Social Butterfly
Kudos
Views

Message 207 of 217
Dutch Shepherd how's that for a breed, that maybe one other aarper has.
Intelligent not overbred as yet and have very few health problems.
Ive had 3 since 2005 they are Velcro, highly intelligent, and my three have been rescues, dropouts from military or police training or search and rescue.

If you want to check them out try a search, high energy not for sedentary life style unless older dogs.
Don't ask me what older is my 12 year old still can do 30 mph for short spurts down from 40 mph.
Sizes are maybe 24" tall females 30 for males weight 50 to 100. absolute beauty with 3 coat styles, predominently brindled.

Frozen
Kudos
Views
Respected Social Butterfly
Kudos
Views

Message 208 of 217

I really don't have a favorite breed. I've always had  a mixed breed up until now. I am the proud owner of a Dobie. A very sweet Dobie. She is still a puppy.Each of my dogs have been very special to me and have left a paw print  on my heart. You share so much of your life with them, You go through the happy times together but you also go through the sad times together. 

Kudos
Views
Treasured Social Butterfly
Kudos
Views

Message 209 of 217
@retiredtraveler wrote:

Yes, any of the larger breeds are of interest to me. But, we've raised 5 dogs and they were all shelter, mixed (lab and 'whatever') breeds. 

I always liked, but would not pay for, a 'real' German Shepherd --- those large, bluish colored dogs often used as police dogs. There is one in the neighborhood.  

I've had more cats than dogs, also "finds" or a neighbor's kittens. Recently, after watching Animal Planets programs on breeds of dogs & kittens, I thought of getting 2 Ragdolls (cats .. keep each other company), and the prices are astronomical (for a pet). Even non-show quality kittens are $600+ each! But the point is that you know exactly what you're getting from a reputable breeder.

Registered on Online Community since 2007!
Kudos
Views
Highlighted
Trusted Social Butterfly
Kudos
Views

Message 210 of 217

"...I tend to like the "working dogs" too, which are usually large...".

Yes, any of the larger breeds are of interest to me. But, we've raised 5 dogs and they were all shelter, mixed (lab and 'whatever') breeds. 

I always liked, but would not pay for, a 'real' German Shepherd --- those large, bluish colored dogs often used as police dogs. There is one in the neighborhood.  

"...Why is everyone a victim? Take personal responsibility for your life..."
Kudos
Views