Highlighted
Contributor
Kudos
Views

Re: Moving south vs. becoming a 'snowbird'

Message 1 of 19

I did a lot of research, rented for the first 7 seasons and finally bought a condo in Playas del Coco.  I went down by myself the first year for three months...after the first few weeks I arranged to rent the next year for 6 months.  It's a warm, welcoming ex-pat community with tons of things to do, great weather most of the time and cheaper cost of living than in Connecticut.  The Ticos are wonderful (that's what hte Costa Ricans call themselves), the medical and dental care are excellent and way cheaper than back home, the scenery is specatcular and the wildlife fabulous.  It's a wonderful country and I'm grateful to be able to call it home for half the year.

Report Inappropriate Content
Kudos
Views
Highlighted
Conversationalist
Kudos
Views

Message 2 of 19
How did you choose St Petersburg? I have yet to visit there but I love the Sarasota area. Do you own down there or rent?
Kudos
Views
Highlighted
Conversationalist
Kudos
Views

Message 3 of 19
How did you decide on Costa Rica? Do you own a place down there or rent?
Kudos
Views
Highlighted
Conversationalist
Kudos
Views

Message 4 of 19
Do you drive between MA and FL or fly?
Kudos
Views
Highlighted
Conversationalist
Kudos
Views

Message 5 of 19

How is the Dallas area in the summer?  How hot does it get?  Is it a dry heat or does it get humid?

We really like TX.  Esp the area between Austin and San Antonio.  Also considering Sarasota FL area. 

Kudos
Views
Highlighted
Conversationalist
Kudos
Views

Message 6 of 19

I have never spent a full summer in Florida but I have been there in the summer.  I think I may prefer all year in Florida despite the heat to all winter in the northeast because the snow/ice/cold is worse IMHO.  Having said that, snowbirding seems like the way to go.  Best of both worlds. 

Kudos
Views
Highlighted
Contributor
Kudos
Views

Message 7 of 19

We were Massachusians for many years. I retired @ 58. Bored stiff. Went back to work at the same job part time. Bought a small condo Wynmoor in Coconut Creek in 2007, because freinds said the time and price was right. Never looked back.

We fully retired in 2014. Now we are snowbirds, spending 6 months in MA with family and 6 months in FL.with freinds and family!  Love it.  We became Floridians a few years ago as it has advantages financially in FL over Taxachussets. We outgrew the condo and are in the process of buying a home in a 55+ community. I reccomend doing the same for anyone.

Kudos
Views
Highlighted
Contributor
Kudos
Views

Message 8 of 19

For health reasons, I'm planning to move from Lake Tahoe (mountain lake/ski resort) to Southern California. I do plan to come back for visits in the warmer months, but they will probably be short as the high altitude doesn't work for me. We have a business here, so my husband will stay, visit me in the winter (he can't tolerate hot weather). I guess we do what we have to do.

Kudos
Views
Highlighted
Contributor
Kudos
Views

Message 9 of 19

I truly have the best of both worlds!  I spend half the year in Costa Rica and the other half in a Connecticut lake community.  It really doesn't get much better.  Pura Vida!

Kudos
Views
Highlighted
Info Seeker
Kudos
Views

Message 10 of 19

My advice? Do it. Never would have imagined it would be so nice getting down to florida from Michigan winters.not a winter fan myself. I dont ski or do anything else winter related.

Kudos
Views
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Users
Announcements

AARP Coronavirus Call-in Event

AARP will host a weekly, live Coronavirus Information Tele-Town Hall on Thursdays at 1 pm (ET). Learn more on AARP's Coronavirus Tele-Town Hall page and join us each week for the latest information.

Calling is toll-free. During the 90-minute live event, government experts will answer your questions and address health concerns related to COVID-19.